British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Most hated (respected) rider!!

I recall that Steve Koppe (another rider who retired far too early) had been a renowned boxer but was not aware if he ever got involved in any shenanigans on or off the track whereas his fellow country man Billy Sanders wasn't slow in coming foward as another who studied boxing during his youth.

Edited by steve roberts

6 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I recall that Steve Koppe (another rider who retired far too early) had been a renowned boxer but was not aware if he ever got involved in any shenanigans on or off the track whereas his fellow country man Billy Sanders wasn't slow in coming foward as another who studied boxing during his youth.

Oh yeah! Steve and Mick Hines got into it at Wimbledon once after an on-track collision... Generally though, I don't think he ever went looking for trouble.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Mick Handley was another rider one didn't mess around with on or off the track. Recall my brother saying that once after a meeting in the clubhouse at Oxford he 'ejected' a trouble maker and those present swore that they didn't see anything untoward when the police apparently got involved.