British Speedway Forum

Back to the future, with two Leagues, a British and a National, just like what we had in the glorious 70s and 80s

... and there are still plenty of riders Down Under in Australia just waiting for a chance

• Like 2

I've enjoyed NL racing for 10 years or so but I would say the amount of riders who progress is fairly low ish. Also I understand some make a living at that level which I've never understood

2 hours ago, bruno said:

I've enjoyed NL racing for 10 years or so but I would say the amount of riders who progress is fairly low ish. Also I understand some make a living at that level which I've never understood

its low because there's nowhere for them to go!! The championship is full of div 1 riders that it can not afford

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

its low because there's nowhere for them to go!! The championship is full of div 1 riders that it can not afford

Or the so called  ‘ Premiership’ is full of championship level riders which it’s paying too much.

• Like 4

I hope that there will be a plan B and a plan C as well as a plan A! I can't  see that there will be much of an improvement in the situation before the end of March at the earliest. The population if about 67 million. If we say that 50 million need vaccinating with 2 doses that's 100 million shots. The vaccine is not totally effective until after the 2nd jab. If there are 12 weeks between jabs that takes us up to the end of March. In the first month 1 million have had one dose. If they speed up to 1 million a day that's 50 days to give everyone one dose. Those getting them on the 50th day will then have to wait 12 weeks or 84 days to get their second dose. I'm making my own head hurt here but I hope you get my drift. No way is the current vaccination rate going to make much difference before Easter when we hear the season is due to start.

1 hour ago, Happy Hunter said:

I hope that there will be a plan B and a plan C as well as a plan A! I can't  see that there will be much of an improvement in the situation before the end of March at the earliest. The population if about 67 million. If we say that 50 million need vaccinating with 2 doses that's 100 million shots. The vaccine is not totally effective until after the 2nd jab. If there are 12 weeks between jabs that takes us up to the end of March. In the first month 1 million have had one dose. If they speed up to 1 million a day that's 50 days to give everyone one dose. Those getting them on the 50th day will then have to wait 12 weeks or 84 days to get their second dose. I'm making my own head hurt here but I hope you get my drift. No way is the current vaccination rate going to make much difference before Easter when we hear the season is due to start.

It could be a repeat of last year, but with a few more tracks taking the plunge to run some meetings.

Edited by cityrebel
Spelling mistake

1 hour ago, Happy Hunter said:

Given the average age of speedway fans, 90% will be vaccinated by Easter lol.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Given the average age of speedway fans, 90% will be vaccinated by Easter lol.

The promoters must be hoping that all the oldies are fit enough to return, when speedway gets going again.  

17 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

Last year there were a few fixture options on the table for a curtailed season (which Lee Kilby worked on) depending what start date was allowed.  Why would similar options plus one or two others eg 6-man teams etc not be on the table for 2021.

All Promoters know what the options are - they just need to further discuss, vote and get a majority view. 

Edited by Skidder1

The maths are now simpler. The Govt want to vaccinate everyone over 50. That's about 26 million people. The Govt reckon they can vaccinate 2 million a week. That's 13 weeks for the first dose and 12 weeks for the second which takes us up to the end of June to finish the over 50s. To do this and keep the programme rolling would mean they would have to start vaccinating 4 million a week from week 13 onwards. This all depends on getting enough doses and the people to give them. So by Easter only 26 million people 50 and over will have received one dose - if we are lucky!

School nurse used to do 300  BCG jabs in one afternoon session, so all we need is NHS to get their fingers out. Doctors- does anyone remember them, seem to be in hiding since March???

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

The maths are now simpler. The Govt want to vaccinate everyone over 50. That's about 26 million people. The Govt reckon they can vaccinate 2 million a week. That's 13 weeks for the first dose and 12 weeks for the second which takes us up to the end of June to finish the over 50s. To do this and keep the programme rolling would mean they would have to start vaccinating 4 million a week from week 13 onwards. This all depends on getting enough doses and the people to give them. So by Easter only 26 million people 50 and over will have received one dose - if we are lucky!

But you should have a reasonable immunity after the first dose.

AGM. Putting covid-19 aside, the fact is Speedway in the U.K. is in need of a major overall. Tweeking what we already have (as per the norm) will achieve nothing or at most very little.

Standard/formula engines & equipment are a must for the sports survival but will it ever happen?

"Promoters" must look outside the box. 

The once regular weekly home meeting is the one vital ingredient to keep your paying public's interest.

On 1/2/2021 at 11:50 AM, Skidder1 said:

All Promoters know what the options are - they just need to further discuss, vote and get a majority view. 

and this is where forward thinking will clash with stuck in the mud :(

• Like 1