British Speedway Forum

22 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

Because they signed a TV contract to provide ‘ Premiership ‘ league racing and if they don’t provide it they have no cash and could be sued for breach of contract.

So, if the two leagues are merged, call it the Premiership.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

Because they signed a TV contract to provide ‘ Premiership ‘ league racing and if they don’t provide it they have no cash and could be sued for breach of contract.

Is that strictly accurate?? I thought they intend to also show some Championship meetings

49 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Is that strictly accurate?? I thought they intend to also show some Championship meetings

Yes, any championship coverage would be an extra and not included in the contract.The contract stated a minimum of participating clubs and fixtures. Sky used to cover a few championship meetings but this is a different arrangement.

1 hour ago, Ringitsneck said:

Yes, any championship coverage would be an extra and not included in the contract.The contract stated a minimum of participating clubs and fixtures. Sky used to cover a few championship meetings but this is a different arrangement.

whatever it is will be ok :t:

On 1/13/2021 at 11:13 AM, Midland Red said:

Don’t understand the continued reference to the Premiership and Championship. Surely the promotors should be looking at how to save the sport as a whole, singing from one hymn sheet. Internal divisions will not help the sport out of the crisis.

This has been the whole problem with British Speedway for the last three decades at least - Promoters seem to be only interested in what benefits their own team regardless of which level they race at.
IMO the only way speedway in the UK is going to move forward is with the formation of a TOTALLY INDEPENDENT administrative ruling body working alongside a committee made up of Promoters, riders and fans from all levels of the sport.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen though.

Edited by cinderfella
Grammar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ringitsneck said:

and then our guilty secret would be out. "Wait a minute - wasn't he riding for Belle Vue last week?"

• Haha 2

To be brutally honest I don't have a massive amount of faith in the powers that be to come up with anything like a solution for the 2021 season, and have absolutely zero confidence in Rob Godfrey, as chairman, to lead the powers that be to anything like a solution for the 2021 season.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, ch958 said:

and then our guilty secret would be out. "Wait a minute - wasn't he riding for Belle Vue last week?"

Don't you mean, "Wait a minute - wasn't he riding for Belle Vue, Sheffield, Somerset and Poole last week?":D

• Haha 1

The committee will have to discuss Somerset pulling out of the league possibly!

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, lewy said:

The committee will have to discuss Somerset pulling out of the league possibly!

I think there may be a few pull out especially if certain changes are enforced.

It needs to be a brand new start - all about British Speedway, nothing else

• Like 5

If the rumours prove to be true surely Plymouth cannot be denied joining the championship in fact they may need Plymouth to make up the numbers. Not much of an advert for British speedway when a member 9f the management committee withdraws her team ,maybe scunny will pull out next!

9 minutes ago, lewy said:

If the rumours prove to be true surely Plymouth cannot be denied joining the championship in fact they may need Plymouth to make up the numbers. Not much of an advert for British speedway when a member 9f the management committee withdraws her team ,maybe scunny will pull out next!

Ring Ring, Ring Ring....

"Hello', Plymouth Speedway"...

"Hi, Plymouth Speedway, it's the BSP, No! No! Don't put the phone down,! No! Please!".....

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep........... Please replace the handset and try again...

Edited by mikebv
  • Haha 2

On 1/11/2021 at 2:48 PM, mikebv said:

I did think this was a possible solution a while back so all teams come to the table, and ensure enough riders to go round, however..

My only negative to it was paying for 16 riders per meeting...

Although I do think by grading riders and altering race formats that may be affordable?

ie. 4 grades, A to D (with D level being riders 4 AND 5)., and (radical elert), the grades just race against each other 4 times from each gate position so the disparate level of riders on show shouldn't impact the closeness of the racing, as every race takes place with those of similar ability..

Stick down a maximum mean average for the team and that would mean no team could use the "best" of each grade..

Standard from Prem HL to Champ Reserve/NL Heat Leader.,

96 points over 16 heats @ £75 a point average, (actual individual deals based on ability obviously), would mean an outlay of £7200 on average for each team to cover all four matches..

Eg per point,  No 1 = £100, No 2 = £80, No 3 = £70 and No 4 = £50. (No. 5 same as 4 if he rides)..

With no crowds nothing happens obviously, but if we do get fans in again, maybe doing 4 teams per match (one league) would mean lots of Speedway for the riders, and different teams visiting for the fans? (And four lots of Speedway starved fan bases to try and attract per meeting). Maybe even North and South Conference the league so you ride against more local teams more often than those at the opposite end of the Country, with a North v South playoff (similar to the way the NFL does it)..

The NL could possibly still run the traditional format of two teams, 7 per team, to ensure lots of rides for those still progressing through, or, if enough teams are interested, also run 4 team tournaments meaning 16/20 developing riders get track time each night..

I am sure riders would prefer to ride four times per week (16 heats to earn money), in smaller team numbers, than run twice a week (and sometimes just once) in a seven man team 

Only problem i can see is that lower level riders need to test them selves against higher opposition, so maybe 1 race per rider against the next grading up

1 hour ago, lewy said:

Said person if rumours are right is already no longer a member of the said committee having already chucked the towel in :rolleyes: