British Speedway Forum

5 minutes ago, screm said:

My source tells they spent most of the morning debating whether it was plain digestives or the chocolate ones for morning coffee.

I'd heard this story also...

When is the press release covering the outcome of the meeting due to be released?

8 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

When is the press release covering the outcome of the meeting due to be released?

After the meeting has finished. Bearing in mind the situation with the biscuits it may be some time.

2 minutes ago, BuxtonTiger said:

After the meeting has finished. Bearing in mind the situation with the biscuits it may be some time.

Choccy biccie crisis floors speedway chiefs is all the PR man has to go on

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BuxtonTiger said:

I here they have ordered more biscuits.:D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I here they have ordered more biscuits.:D

This really is serious stuff this year.:D

Obviously we wait with baited breath for what if anything can come from todays AGM ?

I am down the avenue of thinking that the Leagues just will not work and should be put on ice for 2021 ?. The Premiership is an issue with just 6 teams; how does that add up to what Eurosport bought the rights for ?. Yet merging the two leagues does not seem practical because of doubling up ?

The loss of Somerset and Swindon are further blows to British Speedway and it all is very much driven by the pandemic and how that plays out. There maybe further fall by the wayside before "the season" gets underway ?. To me once we have a roll call of which promotions are definitely committed; it may be helpful not to commit to league racing in 2021 and rather that tracks stage "event meetings". These could be; Individual, Handicap, Best Pairs. Team - 2 team-3-team-4 team, with tracks committing to hold at least two home meetings within the month. 

This way; supporters (who will be just glad to see Speedway) will get a varied programme, it overcomes the rider shortage that crops up because of the need to staff League teams; whilst affording a fair amount of racing for UK based riders across the multiple tracks. At this stage we have no idea if overseas riders will be able to travel to race in the UK squeezing the rider numbers further.

So suspending league racing is not as radical as it may sound. It would not be the first time that League racing was effectively suspended; this of course happened in the War Years and also last season.

In respect of the loss of Somerset and Swindon; and needing to support the broadcast partner Eurosport. How about thinking outside the box ? this might seem a real shot but Bradford will be home to a ready made Speedway track in April ! Odsal is being restored even as I type and will open for stock cars April 2.

Why not offer Eurosport a "sweetner" of the return of one of Speedways greatest tracks and stage a number of meetings under an "allied banner" to showcase the sport even in these difficult days. All the graft is being done by the excellent Steve Rees and StarTrax Promotions and they are openly inviting a Speedway promoter to come on board. It may not be something one promoter would be able to do on his/her own but as "a collective" this may be a chance to boost the sport in Britain despite difficult days ?.

Bradford could stage 3-4 trial events to showcase the track and the sport. In terms of crowds there would be more than enough space to accomodate social distancing and it would just be a real shot in the arm to see a World Class track back on the calendar. Stock Cars are certainly making the most of it; selling out the initial 2000 tickets for the opener on April 2 with hopefully more tickets available if restrictions lift.

Indeed Swindon and Somerset may be able to lease out some of their track fixtures and fittings to Odsal for the 2021 campaign ?. I think the start gate at the Oak Tree Arena might still be the one aquired from Odsal !?

In summary; I believe that suspending the leagues and find a more nuanced approach to the racing in 2021; plus adding Odsal to the rosta would be a chance to reset and create postives for the Sport; for the committed TV Partner Eurosport and the fans.

I commend it to the house.

Edited by the outsider

2 minutes ago, the outsider said:

Obviously we wait with baited breath for what if anything can come from todays AGM ?

I am down the avenue of thinking that the Leagues just will not work and should be put on ice for 2021 ?. The Premiership is an issue with just 6 teams; how does that add up to what Eurosport bought the rights for ?. Yet merging the two leagues does not seem practical because of doubling up ?

The loss of Somerset and Swindon are further blows to British Speedway and it all is very much driven by the pandemic and how that plays out. There maybe further fall by the wayside before "the season" gets underway ?. To me once we have a roll call of which promotions are definitely committed; it may be helpful not to commit to league racing in 2021 and rather that tracks stage "event meetings". These could be; Individual, Handicap, Best Pairs. Team - 2 team-3-team-4 team, with tracks committing to hold at least two home meetings within the month. 

This way; supporters (who will be just glad to see Speedway) will get a varied programme, it overcomes the rider shortage that crops up because of the need to staff League teams; whilst affording a fair amount of racing for UK based riders across the multiple tracks. At this stage we have no idea if overseas riders will be able to travel to race in the UK squeezing the rider numbers further.

So suspending league racing is not as radical as it may sound. It would not be the first time that League racing was effectively suspended; this of course happened in the War Years and also last season.

In respect of the loss of Somerset and Swindon; and needing to support the broadcast partner Eurosport. How about thinking outside the box ? this might seem a real shot but Bradford will be home to a ready made Speedway track in April ! Odsal is being restored even as I type and will open for stock cars April 2.

Why not offer Eurosport "sweetner" of the return of one of Speedways greatest tracks and stage a number of meetings under an "allied banner" to showcase the sport even in these difficult days. All the graft is being done by the excellent Steve Rees and StarTrax Promotions and they are openly inviting a Speedway promoter to come on board. It may not be something one promoter would be able to do on his/her own but as "a collective" this may be a chance to boost the sport in Britain despite difficult days ?.

Bradford could stage 3-4 trial events to showcase the track and the sport. In terms of crowds there would be more than enough space to accomodate social distancing and it would just be a real shot in the arm to see a World Class track back on the calendar. Stock Cars are certainly making the most of it; selling out the initial 2000 tickets for the opener on April 2 with hopefully more tickets available if restrictions lift.

In summary; I believe that suspending the leagues and find a more nuanced approach to the racing in 2021; plus adding Odsal to the rosta would be a chance to reset and create postives for the Sport; for the committed TV Partner Eurosport and the fans.

I commend it to the house.

My suggestion all meetings to be held  at Scunthorpe might not be that far fetched:D

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

My suggestion all meetings to be held  at Scunthorpe might not be that far fetched:D

Come on lets try and be positive; it is Covid secure mind; I can assure everyone of that :t:

Won't be speedway anytime soon at Bradford, the stock car people are holding speedway to ransom with their demands apparently.:neutral:

4 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Won't be speedway anytime soon at Bradford, the stock car people are holding speedway to ransom with their demands apparently.:neutral:

You can't get blood out of a stone.

12 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Might be a case of Speedway wanting it on the cheap; think StarTrax who are putting in all the ground work might just have a bit of licence to get a fair rate for it. But; the Stox people are all about "working together" to make Odsal happen that includes Rugby and the Speedway and it only works as whole if all three are on board. I would definitely say whoever is "talking" on behalf of Speedway may be missing that point ?

2 minutes ago, the outsider said:

Might be a case of Speedway wanting it on the cheap; think StarTrax who are putting in all the ground work might just have a bit of licence to get a fair rate for it. But; the Stox people are all about "working together" to make Odsal happen that includes Rugby and the Speedway and it only works as whole if all three are on board. I would definitely say whoever is "talking" on behalf of Speedway may be missing that point ?

You could well be right but don't think we will ever know 

9 minutes ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

You could well be right but don't think we will ever know 

I realise its "a shot" but in this time of all times; for one of British Speedways all time historic tracks to just drop from the sky seems an almighty opportunity for the sport ?. We will never know; but if the sport was really serious about going anywhere toward reclaiming a foothold in the psyche of its supporters now and in future; Odsal back on the calendar is massive for Speedway.

I think they owe it to themselves; the riders, the supporters, the sponsors and the broadcast partners to a least be prepared to make a collective attempt to make Odsal happen for Speedway. Otherwise in all honesty I do not think the sport is going anywhere with its present custodians. It is like an "open goal" and it comes to No9 Speedway an "oh my god he's put it wide" !;)

Edited by the outsider

From the BSPA WEBSITE 

BRITISH Speedway clubs have today agreed a start date of early May for the 2021 season.

Fixtures will be published next week for both the Premiership and Championship.

Plans are in place for a new concept in both leagues with more details to follow. The plans have been made to adapt to the current situation regarding Polish restrictions on the amount of leagues riders can race in, plus the ongoing challenges presented by the pandemic.

There is a clear pathway for the development of British Speedway and young British riders, not just in 2021 but in the years ahead.

In addition, whilst there is disappointing news about losing Swindon and Somerset for 2021, these decisions have been made by these clubs to protect their futures from 2022 onwards. They will be welcomed back into the sport next year.

Another club has expressed an interest in joining the Championship and this will be explored in due course.

More details regarding the 2021 season will be revealed alongside our broadcast partners Eurosport in the coming days.
Edited by bigcatdiary