British Speedway Forum

9 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

From the BSPA WEBSITE 

BRITISH Speedway clubs have today agreed a start date of early May for the 2021 season.

Fixtures will be published next week for both the Premiership and Championship.

Plans are in place for a new concept in both leagues with more details to follow. The plans have been made to adapt to the current situation regarding Polish restrictions on the amount of leagues riders can race in, plus the ongoing challenges presented by the pandemic.

There is a clear pathway for the development of British Speedway and young British riders, not just in 2021 but in the years ahead.

In addition, whilst there is disappointing news about losing Swindon and Somerset for 2021, these decisions have been made by these clubs to protect their futures from 2022 onwards. They will be welcomed back into the sport next year.

Another club has expressed an interest in joining the Championship and this will be explored in due course.

More details regarding the 2021 season will be revealed alongside our broadcast partners Eurosport in the coming days.

So, fixtures out next week however another club for the championship to be explored in due course. Does this mean that after the situation is explored that the team do not get in because the fixtures have been out for a month. I am very confused, can anyone she'd any light?

2 minutes ago, BuxtonTiger said:

So, fixtures out next week however another club for the championship to be explored in due course. Does this mean that after the situation is explored that the team do not get in because the fixtures have been out for a month. I am very confused, can anyone she'd any light?

Does not specifically state that they are interested in joining this year. One possible explanation. 

14 minutes ago, the outsider said:

I realise its "a shot" but in this time of all times; for one of British Speedways all time historic tracks to just drop from the sky seems an almighty opportunity for the sport ?. We will never know; but if the sport was really serious about going anywhere toward reclaiming a foothold in the psyche of its supporters now and in future; Odsal back on the calendar is massive for Speedway.

I think they owe it to themselves; the riders, the supporters, the sponsors and the broadcast partners to a least be prepared to make a collective attempt to make Odsal happen for Speedway. Otherwise in all honesty I do not think the sport is going anywhere with its present custodians. It is like an "open goal" and it comes to No9 Speedway an "oh my god he's put it wide" !;)

Your missing the point of how speedway tracks are run . For Bradford to get up and running it needs someone with a bucket load of money to go in there as ‘ Speedway ‘ ( I’m assuming you mean the BSPA? ) don’t have the money to open anything. Who is going to throw big bucks at speedway in the current climate ? Clubs are closing rather than lose more money so it doesn’t make any business sense.

I also understand the current outline of the stock car track would not lend itself to the old speedway track so there’s no short term plan to include a speedway track.

Bradford is not a realistic option at present.

We literally know less now than before the statement! All it’s done is raise more questions and give zero answers. 

• Like 3

Just now, the outsider said:

That says  absolutely nothing to me ?; and just maintains the status quo. The idea that the Premiership with six teams and no real top riders massively underscores the broadcaster in my opinion. Yet I cannot see how the two leagues could have merged given the shortage of riders ?. British Speedway has missed an opportunity to use 2021 to reset and re-invent. Not just ploughing on with the usual format ?. In these circumstances supporters, sponsors, riders would forgive our custodians pretty much anything for the chance to see some Speedway. A real chance to trial things; some might work some not; but we would forgive them.

But we will not forgive them for sticking their heads in the sand and thinking that all will suddenly be well in 2022 because all that will have happened is that British Speedway will have marked time for two years.

21 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

From the BSPA WEBSITE 

BRITISH Speedway clubs have today agreed a start date of early May for the 2021 season.

Fixtures will be published next week for both the Premiership and Championship.

Plans are in place for a new concept in both leagues with more details to follow. The plans have been made to adapt to the current situation regarding Polish restrictions on the amount of leagues riders can race in, plus the ongoing challenges presented by the pandemic.

There is a clear pathway for the development of British Speedway and young British riders, not just in 2021 but in the years ahead.

In addition, whilst there is disappointing news about losing Swindon and Somerset for 2021, these decisions have been made by these clubs to protect their futures from 2022 onwards. They will be welcomed back into the sport next year.

Another club has expressed an interest in joining the Championship and this will be explored in due course.

More details regarding the 2021 season will be revealed alongside our broadcast partners Eurosport in the coming days.

A final paragraph which effectively says "we know something you don't know"???

Ahhhh the good old “details to be revealed in due course” British Speedway classic. What a shambles

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

We literally know less now than before the statement! All it’s done is raise more questions and give zero answers. 

Typical BSPA AGM then.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

Your missing the point of how speedway tracks are run . For Bradford to get up and running it needs someone with a bucket load of money to go in there as ‘ Speedway ‘ ( I’m assuming you mean the BSPA? ) don’t have the money to open anything. Who is going to throw big bucks at speedway in the current climate ? Clubs are closing rather than lose more money so it doesn’t make any business sense.

I also understand the current outline of the stock car track would not lend itself to the old speedway track so there’s no short term plan to include a speedway track.

Bradford is not a realistic option at present.

Well if someone can come along and put the investment into re-instating a multi-use track for both Stock Cars and Speedway how realistic does it need to be ?. Note the clear intent from StarTrax is for Stock Cars and Speedway so then British Speedway as a collective body is well an truly up rubbish Creek without a paddle. So the track will be there if someone shows a modicum of enterprise for British Speedway ?; but afraid not ?

Not sure where you have your information from; but the track as far as I am aware will meet the requirements for Stock Cars and Speedway. That is the whole point of re-opening Odsal !; it does not work unless Rugby, Stock Cars and Speedway are on board. Star Trax may yet decide to operate the Speedway as the promotion, but the preference is for a partner to come on board to run the Speedway. 

Bradford is very much a realistic option and failure to recognise that does Speedway a great disservice.

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Plans are in place for a new concept in both leagues with more details to follow.

Professionalism? :rofl:

29 minutes ago, Mark said:

6 man teams likely.  

Newcastle have 7.