British Speedway Forum

AGM, pathetic, what a joke from the BSPA clowns! They’ve had months to come up with a plan and came up with nothing! No wonder the sport is in terminal decline. Won’t be surprised if Eurosport will be the next to pull out. Worthless product!

Edited by Speedtiger
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Will mr godfrey be happy if plymouth ride home meetings on friday nights, it could effect his crowds:rofl:

Probably only allowed to join league if they don't upset Mr Godfrey:blink:

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Will mr godfrey be happy if plymouth ride home meetings on friday nights, it could effect his crowds:rofl:

Last year Plymouth experimented with Tuesday nights, believe the idea was to get away from the sometimes manic Friday holiday traffic to Devon/Cornwall 

New concept is an intriguing word,wonder what it is ?.

Lets get this out the way,

Very early in the void season  i asked Scotty Nichols on the Speedway Tavern FB programme,

" If the league gets running this season do you think it could run as 3TT matches in a shortened season"  He declined to answer the question as the death rate at the time was quite high,i asked to see if it would help the riders out with money etc worries. 

This idea came to me as if there was a chance that there would be a very short season that 3 team matches could work in a league system , 1......shortage of riders ( teams could be made up of 4+1 reserve or 5+1 )  2.......all teams could possibly ride every night of the week.   3........ would bring more funds to the clubs as more away fans would possibly attend,  (Especially if North/South leagues were used).................................I know a lot of people will say " i do not like 3tt tourneys".

j u s t   A  t h o u g h t      ....................................KRO

5 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

Your missing the point of how speedway tracks are run . For Bradford to get up and running it needs someone with a bucket load of money to go in there as ‘ Speedway ‘ ( I’m assuming you mean the BSPA? ) don’t have the money to open anything. Who is going to throw big bucks at speedway in the current climate ? Clubs are closing rather than lose more money so it doesn’t make any business sense.

I also understand the current outline of the stock car track would not lend itself to the old speedway track so there’s no short term plan to include a speedway track.

Bradford is not a realistic option at present.

Totally off topic of the AGM but odsal is being prepared so that a speedway promoter can jump on board at any time.  Steve rees has been pretty categorical on that since day 1.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Totally off topic of the AGM but odsal is being prepared so that a speedway promoter can jump on board at any time.  Steve rees has been pretty categorical on that since day 1.

With all the concerns over biscuits, good to see someone remembered the Tea, boy. :rofl:

Snooker tournaments are being staged at the Marshall Arena in Milton Keynes, most of them being shown live by Eurosport.

Could the new plan involve the setting up of a temporary speedway track in the car park, and to run speedway on the days when there is no snooker happening? 

Eurosport could thus keep a "permanent" prescence there, and who knows, maybe Barry Hearn could become involved? Noise problem? Use e-bikes.

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, Neila said:

Probably only allowed to join league if they don't upset Mr Godfrey:blink:

Think if you speak to the right people Mr G was in favour others blocked it

13 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Not a chance asking to much money per meeting as rent

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, the outsider said:

Eurosport streaming meetings where fans cannot attend ?

Who pays for that?

The quality of the product will be diminished following the top riders decisions to ride abroad only, and the problems in getting work permits for foreign riders wanting to ride here. What value is there from Eurosport's perspective to commit tens of thousands of £££ in production time and resources to a product that's not what they signed up to broadcast and for which wasn't worth the payment of any royalties / sponsorship when it was in it's previous guise?

Yeah, we'd all like some speedway on TV but there isn't a fairy godmother out there who's going to pay for it.

10 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Who pays for that?

The quality of the product will be diminished following the top riders decisions to ride abroad only, and the problems in getting work permits for foreign riders wanting to ride here. What value is there from Eurosport's perspective to commit tens of thousands of £££ in production time and resources to a product that's not what they signed up to broadcast and for which wasn't worth the payment of any royalties / sponsorship when it was in it's previous guise?

Yeah, we'd all like some speedway on TV but there isn't a fairy godmother out there who's going to pay for it.

I suppose they look at it from a stocks and shares point of view. Buy in when the product is undervalued, and hope (especially with your own input) that the product is massively successful again and reap the rewards of what to a multibillion dollar company like Discovery was a drop in the pond investment.

Edited by teaboy279
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Who pays for that?

as i have said before - the product is the racing, not the names. The general public don't know who the hell anyone is anyway so whats the problem

• Like 4

20 hours ago, screm said:

My source tells they spent most of the morning debating whether it was plain digestives or the chocolate ones for morning coffee.

But I prefer plain chocolate on my digestives, so I'm going to boycott any decisions at the meeting!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

as i have said before - the product is the racing, not the names. The general public don't know who the hell anyone is anyway so whats the problem

sadly this divide has plagued the sports progress for many years, the quality vs entertainment debate is much like classical violin vs rock guitar, which music is better? which music is more enjoyable? Ive firmly sat on the side that similar matched riders on track at the same time will produce entertaining racing and thats what i would rather see week in week out. Take nothing away from watching a GP regular at full flight its a sight to behold the level of track craft as they disappear into the distance but the novelty of that fades quickly where as unpredictable entertainment is what keeps my interest.  

• Like 5

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2021 at 8:42 PM, lewy said:

It's a constantly changing picture with the pandemic, brexit and rider availability some clubs pulling the plug etc making decisions for the future very difficult.  Maybe a complete reset is the answer if only we had a crystal ball!

Well, don't worry as yourself & a few others on here seem to think that the members of the BSPLtd & other promoters all have crystal balls!

• Sad 1