British Speedway Forum

14 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Well, don't worry as yourself & a few others on here seem to think that the members of the BSPLtd & other promoters all have crystal balls!

Or no balls at all!

44 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Well, don't worry as yourself & a few others on here seem to think that the members of the BSPLtd & other promoters all have crystal balls!

Going by lack of decisiveness  don't think they have any

• Like 1

damned if they do anything and damned if they don't, many will moan if they postpone the season, the rest will moan if they don't

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, stevehone said:

damned if they do anything and damned if they don't, many will moan if they postpone the season, the rest will moan if they don't

far too much negativity - things aren't perfect but: there are a canny few kids coming through, there's a decent deal with Eurosport (compared to the sht on there speedway will be the star attraction), we're losing tracks but there are plans at Worky and Southampton, possibly Bradford. To use a gardening analogy, it just needs pruning back and  it'll grow again. Lets start by making the bikes/ admission cheaper.

I was at the second ever meeting at Somerset and the home team had a rider nicknamed the undertaker and had a top hat on his helmet, bit of fun and memorable, that sort of thing gets kids asking 'can we go next week?' 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ch958 said:

far too much negativity - things aren't perfect but: there are a canny few kids coming through, there's a decent deal with Eurosport (compared to the sht on there speedway will be the star attraction), we're losing tracks but there are plans at Worky and Southampton, possibly Bradford. To use a gardening analogy, it just needs pruning back and  it'll grow again. Lets start by making the bikes/ admission cheaper.

I was at the second ever meeting at Somerset and the home team had a rider nicknamed the undertaker and had a top hat on his helmet, bit of fun and memorable, that sort of thing gets kids asking 'can we go next week?' 

That forward thinking rider was none other than current Plymouth promoter Mark (the Undertaker) Phillips.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ch958 said:

...characters in the sport. Used to get us all talking. They would often bring a dull meeting to life!

2 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

That forward thinking rider was none other than current Plymouth promoter Mark (the Undertaker) Phillips.

Can't remember who but there was a rider in the late 60s/early 70s used to use an old hearse to transport his bikes around and dressed appropriately.

37 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...characters in the sport. Used to get us all talking. They would often bring a dull meeting to life!

now they just get fined

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

and they weren't necesarily top riders. At Boro we loved to hate Millen the Villain - hardly world championship material. You just have to make something out of what you have

41 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Can't remember who but there was a rider in the late 60s/early 70s used to use an old hearse to transport his bikes around and dressed appropriately.

Do you mean Tyburn Gallows who I believe was as undertaker. He used to tell people he was a former Hangman's Apprentice. A real character.

• Like 2

Early doors at derwent park we loved to boo sean wilson andre compton, and had dummys for " mogo", happy days. Back in the 70s apart from jack millan tony childs was always good to watch and shout at. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ch958 said:

First I've heard of that! There are a fair few Poole fans knocking around Southampton these days so could work. Where in Southampton are we talking?

Edited by lisa-colette

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

First I've heard of that! There are a fair few Poole fans knocking around Southampton these days so could work. Where in Southampton are we talking?

nor have i heard southampton skidder may know 

2 minutes ago, ray c said:

nor have i heard southampton skidder may know 

Nope, nothing about Southampton.