British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

and they weren't necesarily top riders. At Boro we loved to hate Millen the Villain - hardly world championship material. You just have to make something out of what you have

I recall the Boro Promoter (Ron Wilson?) booking Jack for Open Meetings because he knew he would put extra 'bums on seats!'

1 hour ago, HertsRacer said:

Do you mean Tyburn Gallows who I believe was as undertaker. He used to tell people he was a former Hangman's Apprentice. A real character.

and a Hammer. Jonnie Hoskins was the master showman. He really understood the value of entertainment.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Nope, nothing about Southampton.

Maybe it was a typo! I did google it and only articles I could find about a possible return for Southampton were from 2008 and 2011.

31 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Nope, nothing about Southampton.

i read it somewhere so someone else must have read the same thing

On 1/14/2021 at 6:51 PM, tonyd said:

The quote of “details to be revealed in due course” really means " if and when we think of something we will let you know:rofl: 

details to be revealed in due course is right up there with the other great quote but this is speedway 

so what would people on here do if it was your own money at risk, would you run this year or not take the chance?

• Like 2

During lockdown I watched a lot of videos from The 1997-2003 era at Newport. Anders Henriksson was a pure fans favourite and the way he bonded with the crowd is like nothing you see today. There were a few others also, Neath and Eldridge. Eldridge was nothing more than a 3.5 reserve for Newport but the fans absolutely loved him because he was a tryer and an entertainer. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Maybe it was a typo! I did google it and only articles I could find about a possible return for Southampton were from 2008 and 2011.

There's a Facebook site called Bring back Southampton Speedway, run by a supporters group who have ambitions of bringing back speedway to Southampton. Not much information about how or where this may happen however.

1 hour ago, stevehone said:

this is what people want to see surely, entertainment. not riders so far ahead of the rest it looks boring

we're constantly told that riders don't have a connection with the club or fans when they ride, well now is the ideal time to have a league with committed riders and build from there

100%...

"Superstars" didn't start out as such and sadly are now out of reach for day to day UK Speedway, so now is the time to set about finding other "Superstars" and that doesn't have to mean global ones but could be a rider who gets a large following at his local track and becomes "a large fish in even a very small pond"...

He would benefit locally through sponsorship, and the club would have a rider who locally gets known and can 'pull a crowd in"...

The more GB riders the better, and the more chance GB will have to try and reach the best team in the world status, which has to be the No1 aim of the BSPL, well above all and any individual team success focus, as this attracts hardly any national attention at all, whereby consistent GB success would..

The promoters have a 'free pass' from supporters to try new innovative and radical things given the pandemic issues they face so let's hope they go for it..

Four (mainly GB) lads per race, all of a similar ability, racing on a well prepared track, on a day/night that provides the best crowd numbers for that track, and in competitions that are ran with credibility amd integrity, and all delivered at an admission price that reflects true value for money...

Can it be done. .?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ch958 said:

I was at the second ever meeting at Somerset and the home team had a rider nicknamed the undertaker and had a top hat on his helmet, bit of fun and memorable, that sort of thing gets kids asking 'can we go next week?' 

Glasgow machine examiner refused to let him race with the small cardboard hat on his helmet.

Edited by tyretrax

3 hours ago, stevehone said:

this is what people want to see surely, entertainment. not riders so far ahead of the rest it looks boring

we're constantly told that riders don't have a connection with the club or fans when they ride, well now is the ideal time to have a league with committed riders and build from there

Exactly. 

6 hours ago, stevehone said:

Sorry but I always like to see the best riders and with upcoming riders there is no better being in a team with a top class rider at which you can learn from. Still need internationals as a part,either learning or dominating ,don’t fill the teams with uk riders ,keep it for national leagues , close racing doesn’t have to be at the front

Edited by Spiderman1

57 minutes ago, Spiderman1 said:

Sorry but I always like to see the best riders and with upcoming riders there is no better being in a team with a top class rider at which you can learn from. Still need internationals as a part,either learning or dominating ,don’t fill the teams with uk riders ,keep it for national leagues , close racing doesn’t have to be at the front

as a rule of thumb, the tv director will be watching what's out front, no good if it's just one rider on his own, tv was there to try to encourage people to go to a meeting not turn it off. one rider is not what i want to watch.

the old NL in the 80's had it right (before Rye House put a spanner in the works) using British & Commonwealth, something like that with the occasional American's/Europeans if they qualify is ideal as long as they're committed to the British League and live here.

supporters cheering their team because it's THEIR team is what i grew up with (until World Final night), it can only benefit the clubs, track shops, riders, and as mentioned more likely to get sponsors.

fair play to those earning big money elsewhere, get it while it's there, but if they're not riding in GB then it's extra special seeing the GP series, and could boost Cardiff attendance if fans aren't seeing those riders on a regular basis. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2