British Speedway Forum

18 hours ago, HGould said:

Might have something to do with the post AGM press release last Thursday promising Fixtures, Eurosport Announcement, Teams and the suggestion of some new ideas. 

But it did not give a time line so what is the panic! Everyone wants to be a Promoter/Manager these days.

Also, little snippets being let out by teams rather than the big announcement by the main sponsor, Eurosport.

Edited by IronScorpion
addition

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Ooh. A five year plan. How exciting. Am I the only person seeing deja vu here?

Points limit of 35.5 plus what will effectively be a three pointer, yes? So a points limit of 38.5 for the top league of 6 teams? Are people actually approving of this?

How did things go last time they put points limits in the thirties into operation? Crowds pretty much halved. Now they are doing it again.

What happened before when they did the 2 point junior in every side rule? They scrapped it after a year because they riders couldn't keep up.

I guess it depends on the level of the gradings for British youngsters and who are included, but this will please those who want to watch grass roots speedway and everyone else will continue drifting away like they did before.

Also there is one less team in the Premiership this year to what there was in 2019, so it is an even bigger drop in points limit than it looks.

To be honest, I don't even see the point of having a six team Premiership of this standard. Why bother? Why not just have one league of Championship standard and have done with it. There seems little to gain from being a top flight team under this system.

Spot on.

Pretty pathetic and utter BS about bringing on the youth. Just piss poor PR spin on having a two pointer at Number 7.

Wasn't this 'the plan' in 1986 ?

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, topaz325 said:

I wonder what the response will be from Glasgow , Eastbourne..

Going by the list of riders in teams for 2020, I think there could be other it affects.

Berwick 3.33 ave grading 3?

Eastbourne had Edwards 2.00 ave

Edinburgh Sarjeant 3.90 & Lawson 3.91 ave

Glasgow Bailey 3.03 ave but think he was classed as British in 2019 due to grandparents

Newcastle J Wright 4.00 ave but think they are changing Mountain for a lower averaged/graded rider

Poole (non British rider) 

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Youth riders rather than being grateful for opportunities will now hold all the cards in terms of wage demands. No mention of NL which will likely see teams ripped apart due to the availability of the riders now required in the higher tiers. But at least the two top bods at the table have the top 3 from the youth rounds signed up already....

Leicester have both the Thompson twins but didn't know Scunthorpe had signed Harry McGurk unless you know something we don't.:o ;) :blush:

• Haha 1

Okay, so we've read about the Youth Policy, Premiership & Championship Leagues plus Eurosport, but nobody has mentioned the equally important NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE, as I'm sure stand alone clubs like Isle of Wight, Mildenhall and Plymouth if they don't join the Championship would love to know what's going on.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Leicester have both the Thompson twins but didn't know Scunthorpe had signed Harry McGurk unless you know something we don't.:o ;) :blush:

Apologies without a slight on Harrys level i would say top 3 performers rather than finishing order

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

Great news re bringing on the young riders..

A successful GB team will deliver miles more coverage, publicity and therefore awareness of the sport, than any individual team success ever could.. 

5 years though is a long time, and we have had plans of this length before..

So let's hope this time they stay solidly behind the plan..

Although, given some of the people now involved, I think we can have a bit  more confidence that such a plan will now get carried through...

All well and good, as long as they don't go down the "rip it up and start again" route at the first moment someone moans about it not suiting they're club.

Edited by MattB

So this system has already lost Connor Mountain a job as they've had to replace him with Joe Alcock! But he’s arguably not yet ready for this level at all and adds much less than Mountain would’ve done. Now where does Mountain ride?

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Points limit and fear that the team they have assembled could have a reserve in place with a higher star grading.....urgh star gradings whilst the average system may de a bit daft is questionable grading any better?

NO. There are greater problems with the bigger clubs snapping up the top riders in each points band. If say there is a band 5 - 6.5 you know the poorer teams will get the 5+ riders, whilst the richer clubs will get the 6+ riders. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

So this system has already lost Connor Mountain a job as they've had to replace him with Joe Alcock! But he’s arguably not yet ready for this level at all and adds much less than Mountain would’ve done. Now where does Mountain ride?

There are still team places to be filled i,m sure he will have a club 

15 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Apparently Leicester have recalled him to replace Ellis Perks and that's why he's been released by Newcastle

• Like 2

Another 5 year plan how many 5 year plans has that been in the last few years now, couldn’t make it up. 
Riders who were promised a team spot now out of work, which is ridiculous. Championship watered down again with now having to bring in wobblers who aren’t ready for this level.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, topsoil said:

So, for those whinging about the announcement, what would you have introduced? Lets have some ideas.

Top flight - 42.5 average. Sign who you like within the limit. In other words, I wouldn't have introduced anything.

Championship - the new system if fine for that as it is supposed to be a lower league and it serves a purpose for that. The top flight needs to be a strong league otherwise there is no point to it.

Alternatively, scrap the higher league completely and have one league at Championship level.

A six team higher league is a waste of time unless it is a league for teams that want strong teams.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’d be interested to know how many new riders are going to be required for the 5 year plan to last that long. Looking at the youth rounds entry list we will run out of riders before 5 years is up as no one new has taken up the sport last year or this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Top flight - 42.5 average. Sign who you like within the limit. In other words, I wouldn't have introduced anything.

Championship - the new system if fine for that as it is supposed to be a lower league and it serves a purpose for that. The top flight needs to be a strong league otherwise there is no point to it.

Alternatively, scrap the higher league completely and have one league at Championship level.

A six team higher league is a waste of time unless it is a league for teams that want strong teams.

I think there has to be two divisions for several reasons:- 1) there is too big a gap in the standards between the top riders in the Premiership and the reserves in the Championship to compete in a single league. 2) I'm still to be convinced there are enough riders to do away with doubling up / down for a single league. 3) What average would you give to riders currently riding in both leagues? 4) In this shortened season is there enough room for fixtures for a single league?

• Like 1