British Speedway Forum

8 minutes ago, topsoil said:

I think there has to be two divisions for several reasons:- 1) there is too big a gap in the standards between the top riders in the Premiership and the reserves in the Championship to compete in a single league. 2) I'm still to be convinced there are enough riders to do away with doubling up / down for a single league. 3) What average would you give to riders currently riding in both leagues? 4) In this shortened season is there enough room for fixtures for a single league?

In terms of this season you may be right about too many teams for one league, although this is apparently a 5 year plan so it isn't just to take that into account.

If the gap in reserves is a problem, why are Premiership teams effectively signing the same strength reserves as the CL anyway. PL team reserves are grade 4 or below. CL team are grade 3 or below. There is a difference there, but not much, although we don't yet know what a Grade 4 rider will be so that could be wrong. Are riders like Dan Bewley and Adam Ellis going to be grade 4 riders? I doubt it. You could call both "rising stars" though, so I could be proven wrong.

Riders should just get the average that they have from the league they are in. So, if a rider averages 6.00 in the PL and 5.00 in the CL just give them that average - 6.00 in the PL and 5.00 in the CL. I'd only use an average conversion for a rider who didn't ride in that league in 2019.

In future I'd like to see the top flight teams able to sign who they like within the points limit. If you have a league as small as 6 teams I would say it needs to have strong line ups to make it attractive. 

9 hours ago, mikebv said:

Great news re bringing on the young riders..

A successful GB team will deliver miles more coverage, publicity and therefore awareness of the sport, than any individual team success ever could.. 

5 years though is a long time, and we have had plans of this length before..

So let's hope this time they stay solidly behind the plan..

Although, given some of the people now involved, I think we can have a bit  more confidence that such a plan will now get carried through...

For once I agree with you, and on every point. With COVID, Brexit, Poland and rider availability we were forced into bringing through the British youth which has never been in as good a shape for years through the BYC.

I like the fact that an agreed plan  has been developed, and all the clubs have agreed to a unified front on team selections, launch programme, and it's all aligned with the Eurosport and their  launch. It doesn't really matter we have reduced the team strength,  less costs going out of the sport with visas, flight, vehicles, lodgings and more concentration on Brits and especially the young riders. This is the sort of plan and unification that the sport badly needs to make future progress and build up British stock along the way. Only thing not hinted at is the possibility of a supremo to run the sport, possibility to be announced later when he has cut the ties that stops him from taking the post now. Well he has left now, so why hasn't Trump been announced. :o:D 

Having a personal interest in the sport, I sincerely hope it all goes well, and everyone thinks of the sport before their personal interest.

Looking good.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Islander15 said:

So they’re saying grading but really they still mean averages as a rider graded 2 cones up with a 2.00 average now anyway. 

That's as I understand it 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

For once I agree with you, and on every point. With COVID, Brexit, Poland and rider availability we were forced into bringing through the British youth which has never been in as good a shape for years through the BYC.

I like the fact that an agreed plan  has been developed, and all the clubs have agreed to a unified front on team selections, launch programme, and it's all aligned with the Eurosport and their  launch. It doesn't really matter we have reduced the team strength,  less costs going out of the sport with visas, flight, vehicles, lodgings and more concentration on Brits and especially the young riders. This is the sort of plan and unification that the sport badly needs to make future progress and build up British stock along the way. Only thing not hinted at is the possibility of a supremo to run the sport, possibility to be announced later when he has cut the ties that stops him from taking the post now.

Having a personal interest in the sport, I sincerely hope it all goes well, and everyone thinks of the sport before their personal interest.

Looking good.

Will it last 5 years ? A lot of the young lads could have their confidence knocked if they are only scoring a couple of points.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Will it last 5 years ? A lot of the young lads could have their confidence knocked if they are only scoring a couple of points.

Always will happen for some. Being at 7 against like riders and have 2 other riders just about them at 6 is far better than being shoved in against no 1's in many races. Yes, they need a bit of protection, but there are many who at reserve at home can often beat the middle order and reserves of the away team. Thats the way to progress.

So according to Sky News the government scientists are advising not to open hospiliatlity til May but speedway will start at the same time! Yeah right!

Just now, lisa-colette said:

So according to Sky News the government scientists are advising not to open hospiliatlity til May but speedway will start at the same time! Yeah right!

If that is the same as going back to Tier 2 then most Speedway tracks should be fine.

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

If that is the same as going back to Tier 2 then most Speedway tracks should be fine.

What if they mean no hospiliatlity til mid May? There is no way speedway will get ahead of that sector! As I have said before, July a much more realistic option, esp with schools prob not going back til just before Easter acc to Boris...? Hospital admission still on the rise atm. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

I have also heard, in the premiership it's the top 6 to the playoffs :party:

• Haha 1

johnson also said today than lockdown may not end till summer and that starts in june .another thing why would australian riders come over for a very short season ?

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

What if they mean no hospiliatlity til mid May? There is no way speedway will get ahead of that sector! As I have said before, July a much more realistic option, esp with schools prob not going back til just before Easter acc to Boris...? Hospital admission still on the rise atm. 

BoJo is talking about the possibilty of summer, hope for goodness sake that isn't right!!!

1 minute ago, ray c said:

johnson also said today than lockdown may not end till summer and that starts in june .another thing why would australian riders come over for a very short season ?

I was typing my post as you were Ray, so we must have just watched the news on BBC. 

3 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

BoJo is talking about the possibilty of summer, hope for goodness sake that isn't right!!!

Better to give a long date you are pretty sure about then say May and then that doesn't happen! I guess it depends on if any more variants slip into the country.

Edited by lisa-colette

8 minutes ago, ray c said:

So my July estimate could be right then. I did ask Stewert Dickson on Twitter if no speedway til July what would the season look like? He replied with Once home and away with no playoffs, is what he would guess.

Replying to
Personally can't see it happening til around July. Would half a season be feesible? Or is there are cut off month for starting the season?

I think if we started in July we would most probably do one home and one away with no play offs, that’s certainly what I would put forward.

Edited by lisa-colette