British Speedway Forum

agree that the PL wouldn't appear to be what it says on the tin.

it would appear to exist only to provide enough fixtures for the double up riders.

league fixtures alone it's 20 PL and 32 CL

one big league is only 34 in total

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lucky lee said:

can,t wait for lightning Luke Harrison to get a go

2023 for that lad mate 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Thompson twins are up there as well. I agreed about the doubt with Bickley. He has plateaued in the last two years.  My rider Freeman is next along with Harry McGurk.

Dan Gilkes is surely ahead of all 4 of those?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Najjer said:

I’ve thought about this and I think it’s a classic case of British Speedway over complicating things. Why have all this graded nonsense? Why not just say the no.7 is designated to British U24 riders and have done with it? Teams can pick their riders to suit no matter how good or bad they do, taking the lead from Poland in this respect. The intentions are very good but the execution is just missing in my opinion.

Some may argue that could open up a bidding war for the best riders but that is likely to happen even with gradings come next year. The whole grading system just opens up such unneeded debates where teams will try and screw each other over by insisting their riders should be graded lower and opposing riders graded higher... we’ve been here before with that!

Agree with you again Najjer, do you remember "Keep it simple" already long forgotten... What is needed these young guns need to have races v their apposite numbers, have a minimum of rides per meeting & a minimum £ guarantee per meeting. Now (2021) would be a great time to reintroduce second half's - not like the old style riders taking or leaving it BUT an exciting & meaningful addition to the main event, what would be the cost? riders, bikes & everything else already in place & a sponsor to finance the final.  

• Like 3

Have you noticed how all the reports in the Speedway Star from the AGM do NOT refer to the AGM but something like 'general council".

So maybe this thread is not discussing the AGM at all.

Mysterious or not?

Promoting the young Brits in both leagues is a great move forward.

2021 is the first step forward after the grim reeper saw off 2020.

Hopefully ,this is a new start where British Speedway is run  for the benefit of the Sport as opposed to promoters looking after their own individual needs.

Having Eurosport on board is another boost for Speedway... in particular Speedway on Quest for a broader section of the public to watch Speedway on the TV.

Cautious optimism as far as I am concerned 

Edited by Gunner85
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Najjer said:

I’ve thought about this and I think it’s a classic case of British Speedway over complicating things. Why have all this graded nonsense? Why not just say the no.7 is designated to British U24 riders and have done with it? Teams can pick their riders to suit no matter how good or bad they do, taking the lead from Poland in this respect. The intentions are very good but the execution is just missing in my opinion.

Some may argue that could open up a bidding war for the best riders but that is likely to happen even with gradings come next year. The whole grading system just opens up such unneeded debates where teams will try and screw each other over by insisting their riders should be graded lower and opposing riders graded higher... we’ve been here before with that!

Dan Bewley at No7 for Belle Vue a possibility if just U24 designation used

I'd say that's why it's more specific and 'regulated'

• Like 2

9 hours ago, skydog said:

Dan Gilkes is surely ahead of all 4 of those?

Problem is Dan didn't really do the youth rounds so gets overlooked. Obviously the next batch are already emerging Hagon, James, Harrison, Freeman etc but the production line will need to keep rolling especially if riders edge just over the base grade required and are no longer wanted. 

Perhaps clubs will start to take an interest and offer opportunities to emerging riders again, maybe 2nd halves will be held without riders being treated with contempt. Perhaps some level of development leagues could function, run by dedicated volunteers who genuinely have the best interests of the sport at heart.......oh wait there was one and it got crushed by the BSPL!

51 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Have you noticed how all the reports in the Speedway Star from the AGM do NOT refer to the AGM but something like 'general council".

Mysterious or not?

Was it not over zoom/Microsoft teams? I imagine the constitution's specific requirements mean that an AGM has to be face to face, and they can't change that requirement without a 'face to face' EGM or AGM.

So not mysterious, just a matter of fact.

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Dan Bewley at No7 for Belle Vue a possibility if just U24 designation used

I'd say that's why it's more specific and 'regulated'

Potentially add a condition where nobody over an average of 6 or something can be included.

This then begs the next question, what happens this year if say Drew Kemp rides at reserve and averages 7+? Is he just going to hung out to dry mid season like Boxall and Armstrong were when this was previously trialled? Something will need to be in place.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

So six ‘future stars’ for the top league......Kemp, Rowe, Flint, Palin, Brennan, Bickley? 

It will be interesting if these future “stars” who  ride in both Leagues 

have fixture clashes if the ones that have signed Polish contracts get called up for a meeting in Poland.

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Was it not over zoom/Microsoft teams? I imagine the constitution's specific requirements mean that an AGM has to be face to face, and they can't change that requirement without a 'face to face' EGM or AGM.

Not quite fact.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Government enacted the Corporate Insolvency and Governance Act 2020  on 26 June  to provide temporary flexibility to companies as to how and when they hold their AGMs regardless of what is mandated under their articles of association. Under this amendment meetings are permitted to be held, and any votes cast by electronic online means.   

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Good thinking. That point hadn't occurred to me. So, they won't be having an AGM then anytime soon.

3 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Mysterious or not?

Different terminology for a Limited Company - BSPL not BSPA.

Looking forward to putting the fixtures into my diary later this afternoon