British Speedway Forum

40 minutes ago, bruno said:

Must admit has much as I've missed my speedway fix spending £18+ every week has got me thinking is it worth it. Certainly not vfm for the standard were getting

I agree, i also feel the same way about Premier league football. I'm not sure i could ever pay those prices again on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bruno said:

Must admit has much as I've missed my speedway fix spending £18+ every week has got me thinking is it worth it. Certainly not vfm for the standard were getting

I think for the good (or maybe even survival) of the sport, the fans in this country will have to go along with 'whatever' is served up this season..

And lets face it if you are still a regular, it means you are pretty much immune to the many years of nonsense that has passed and are therefore willing to accept what you are given, so hopefully will be relied upon to back the promoters..

A possible free pass maybe this season for the promoters, where some slack is given as they try and deliver the sport (and the Eurosport contract)...

• Like 1

Good summary Mike.  The regulars will be immune to various things. I do hope in parallel to on track focus that the standard of toilet facilities and crowd movement is being reviewed and improved. This is both in anticipation of level of restrictions, if any and the increased awareness and expectation regarding hygiene. 

Must admit that the so called Premiership doesn't look worth £18. Can't see Bluster dropping admission prices, so will probably not bother.

• Thanks 1

Are there any plans to change the conversion factor?

If it stays at 1.6 then Josh Auty will be the most sought after rider in British speedway

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, bruno said:

How do we know what standard of racing we are getting? There hasn't been any yet!

7 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

How do we know what standard of racing we are getting? There hasn't been any yet!

Don't worry - the riders will easily maintain social distancing after the first bend!

20 hours ago, proud panther said:

Must admit that the so called Premiership doesn't look worth £18. Can't see Bluster dropping admission prices, so will probably not bother.

Even in 2019 there was not much difference between the the premiership and championship.

Most teams had one top rider I wont call them stars the rest were all double up riders.

If the season starts then once again there will be little difference between the league's and you can be sure promoters wont be shelling out big contracts so I think a lot of fans wont be happy paying a premium to watch premiership racing.

• Thanks 1

looking quite possible that lockdown could last till the end of summer so there may be no UK racing for a second season.

even the poles are saying they may be racing behind closed doors for the start of there season.

Edited by DBP
Extra info

2 hours ago, DBP said:

Even in 2019 there was not much difference between the the premiership and championship.

Most teams had one top rider I wont call them stars the rest were all double up riders.

If the season starts then once again there will be little difference between the league's and you can be sure promoters wont be shelling out big contracts so I think a lot of fans wont be happy paying a premium to watch premiership racing.

It's not just speedway is it. I've certainly tightened my belt during lockdown. Just because i can afford it, doesn't mean i want to spend it. Life will never be the same for any of us.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, cityrebel said:

It's not just speedway is it. I've certainly tightened my belt during lockdown. Just because i can afford it, doesn't mean i want to spend it. Life will never be the same for any of us.

I believe Timpsons are still open. A single hole costs £1 in the charity box. sounds like you need to take a note Tony.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The sport certainly sounds doomed

Some people willing to pay £20 to support the sport, some believing there should be a discounted entry for a watered down product, some not interested in regularly attending and some not wanting to attend at all.

It's easy to comment here bemoaning club closures but then not supporting the sport means it will be lost for future generations.

£20 for me is a decent price if it includes programme, you can take your own food and drinks to save money, some sports don't let you take your own in

With speedway I think you cant look at it domestically just as a British League, in terms of domestic racing we are league one standard, with Sweden being championship and poland being premier league, you pay £18-£30 to watch League one football, and that certainly doesn't have the best players

If British Speedway had all the stars and grew the sport from the Sky Sports deal realistically you should have been paying £40/50 a meeting but the promoters were offering a pricing structure that would not be sustainable without major TV and Spinsorship deals, but I presume some people probably thought £20 was too much to watch the superstars of Speedway

The sport and its fans in this country share one common trait, everyone is stuck in the past! 

£20 is value for money for a 3rd rate sport but it does depend on what else you do if witches fans for example go regularly to Town games also then I can see that they may not have much disposable income left

If they cant have fans in this season I've heard there may be streaming at £15 or something and I see replies saying they'd only pay £5 lol what about the streaming costs?

Everyone has their part to play, the fans in 2021 & 2022 will make or break the sport in this country

8 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

The sport certainly sounds doomed

Some people willing to pay £20 to support the sport, some believing there should be a discounted entry for a watered down product, some not interested in regularly attending and some not wanting to attend at all.

It's easy to comment here bemoaning club closures but then not supporting the sport means it will be lost for future generations.

£20 for me is a decent price if it includes programme, you can take your own food and drinks to save money, some sports don't let you take your own in

With speedway I think you cant look at it domestically just as a British League, in terms of domestic racing we are league one standard, with Sweden being championship and poland being premier league, you pay £18-£30 to watch League one football, and that certainly doesn't have the best players

If British Speedway had all the stars and grew the sport from the Sky Sports deal realistically you should have been paying £40/50 a meeting but the promoters were offering a pricing structure that would not be sustainable without major TV and Spinsorship deals, but I presume some people probably thought £20 was too much to watch the superstars of Speedway

The sport and its fans in this country share one common trait, everyone is stuck in the past! 

£20 is value for money for a 3rd rate sport but it does depend on what else you do if witches fans for example go regularly to Town games also then I can see that they may not have much disposable income left

If they cant have fans in this season I've heard there may be streaming at £15 or something and I see replies saying they'd only pay £5 lol what about the streaming costs?

Everyone has their part to play, the fans in 2021 & 2022 will make or break the sport in this country

If you want to make a football comparison, then the closest to Speedway would probably be the National Conference league, which attracts crowds of around a thousand. The only admission price I could find was St Albans, who charge £18.

25 minutes ago, Grachan said:

If you want to make a football comparison, then the closest to Speedway would probably be the National Conference league, which attracts crowds of around a thousand. The only admission price I could find was St Albans, who charge £18.

Spot on post

31 minutes ago, Grachan said:

It doesn't really matter how speedway compares to other sports, or whether 20 quid is really value for money or not if people aren't coming through the turnstiles. 

With football you'll generally also know that the matches will be held regardless of the weather, and you're not standing around for most of the 90 minutes watching the pitch being mown...

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 4