British Speedway Forum

32 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

So no programme= no adverts= less income= less money to pay riders/stadium rent= no speedway.

Sounds like plan.

With the greatest of respect if the programme sales are what dictates if a clubs survives or doesn't then the writing is already daubed across the wall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyretrax said:

So no programme= no adverts= less income= less money to pay riders/stadium rent= no speedway.

Sounds like plan.

As suggested by others, adverts can be incorporated in apps.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Sounds like plan.

lots of magazines and newspapers going out of print and going digital would suggest that's where the money is.

also offers a new income stream of selling your customer base data.  Sell a paper programme you have no idea who to or how often they accessed it. Apps give you access to a whole host of additional customer data.

Why do people always assume everyone has got a smartphone....they haven't. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

Why do people always assume everyone has got a smartphone....they haven't. 

Whilst i agree with you (and always will you speedway legend) there was also a time when not everyone had a phone full stop in the same way not everyone had a computer but times evolve and life becomes tricky without. As an honest question if speedway were to disperse with the physical programme would you consider getting a smartphone of whatever level to utilise the 'e-programme' or would you just print a score sheet and keep at it the analogue way?

5 hours ago, winstoncigar said:

Whatever happened to all those engines? Does anybody know where all the money went?

Yes, a certain Mr. Gerhard has it in a Swiss bank account and is laughing , literally, all the way to the bank!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Making it affordable for families to attend, would be a start.

How much should that be?

I think £20 for two adults and as many kids as they want to bring would be around where it's reasonable...

Kids like to go around in groups so let as many in as possible under adult supervision...

Most families will be two adults and two kids so £20 to get in seems a price that may attract those looking for a night out that won't break the bank, and could appeal to parents where maybe at least one of them used to attend..

As I know all too well, that £20 will be doubled with food and drink for a family of four so the admission cost will be very important to someone with kids, and for a "night out", if you get away with forty quid or so you have done well..

The Aces for example let U12's in for free, but after the adults have already paid £36 to enter it could still mount up to an expensive night..

Two adults and two kids still at school (so up to 16 years old), for £20 would entice a few that probably wouldn't pay the circa £40 for a family ticket now...

And if they are not paying to go now, then that £20 price point won't be a loss to the club but a gain..

And if you own the food and drink establishment then it's a double gain..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, mikebv said:

How much should that be?

I think £20 for two adults and as many kids as they want to bring would be around where it's reasonable...

Kids like to go around in groups so let as many in as possible under adult supervision...

Most families will be two adults and two kids so £20 to get in seems a price that may attract those looking for a night out that won't break the bank, and could appeal to parents where maybe at least one of them used to attend..

As I know all too well, that £20 will be doubled with food and drink for a family of four so the admission cost will be very important to someone with kids, and for a "night out", if you get away with forty quid or so you have done well..

The Aces for example let U12's in for free, but after the adults have already paid £36 to enter it could still mount up to an expensive night..

Two adults and two kids still at school (so up to 16 years old), for £20 would entice a few that probably wouldn't pay the circa £40 for a family ticket now...

And if they are not paying to go now, then that £20 price point won't be a loss to the club but a gain..

And if you own the food and drink establishment then it's a double gain..

£20 seems about right. Without younger blood, the sport won't survive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Whilst i agree with you (and always will you speedway legend) there was also a time when not everyone had a phone full stop in the same way not everyone had a computer but times evolve and life becomes tricky without. As an honest question if speedway were to disperse with the physical programme would you consider getting a smartphone of whatever level to utilise the 'e-programme' or would you just print a score sheet and keep at it the analogue way?

First, I hope clubs NEVER do away with a payable programme, but if they did, I'd just print a score sheet and keep it that way, with the collections of programmes that I have from down the years.  At the moment, and have done for years, printed a score sheet to fill in at the meeting, but have ALWAYS bought a programme too, to fill in the next day.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

First, I hope clubs NEVER do away with a payable programme, but if they did, I'd just print a score sheet and keep it that way, with the collections of programmes that I have from down the years.  At the moment, and have done for years, printed a score sheet to fill in at the meeting, but have ALWAYS bought a programme too, to fill in the next day.  

Wish that I hadn't sold my extensive collection of programmes. Something tangible that I could always refer to in times past.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Someone please outline just how this “app” would work - not an area I’m at all conversant with (I bought a mobile some 35 years ago, for emergencies as I did a lot of driving, have upgraded it over the years, into retirement, but it’s hardly ever switched on or used)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

Someone please outline just how this “app” would work - not an area I’m at all conversant with (I bought a mobile some 35 years ago, for emergencies as I did a lot of driving, have upgraded it over the years, into retirement, but it’s hardly ever switched on or used)

Do you want to know how Apps work or what a Speedway App would do?

Apps or applications are just a computer programme coded to do whatever you want them to.  To that extent a speedway App could be anything you want it to be. I've speculated that it could be linked to real time updates from the meeting referee or even on bike transponders.  Equally it could just be an electronic version of a paper scorechart. The only limits are the limits of your imagination....    and how much you want to spend developing it of course.

On 1/22/2021 at 8:11 PM, Fromtheback said:

You must be seeing something different to me, Freeman is not just behind Palin or Thompson twins. Sorry 

Obviously you haven't been watching the BYC 500cc finals in the last 2 years. Look at the result in the Scunny BYC meeting last year when those 4 riders were in the final and Freeman was in third place and just got pipped on the last corner. :D

30 minutes ago, enotian said:

Do you want to know how Apps work or what a Speedway App would do?

Apps or applications are just a computer programme coded to do whatever you want them to.  To that extent a speedway App could be anything you want it to be. I've speculated that it could be linked to real time updates from the meeting referee or even on bike transponders.  Equally it could just be an electronic version of a paper scorechart. The only limits are the limits of your imagination....    and how much you want to spend developing it of course.

I had in mind that it was something to add to the experience at the track - is that correct, or am I way off?

7 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

With the greatest of respect if the programme sales are what dictates if a clubs survives or doesn't then the writing is already daubed across the wall.

ALL streams on income are important to running a speedway.

• Like 1