British Speedway Forum

6 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

I had in mind that it was something to add to the experience at the track - is that correct, or am I way off?

that's the jist of it plus it's also perceived to be greener.  some might consider filling in the programme to be a bit "wanky". I still like doing it but I'm a bit "wanky".

some people don't bother with a score chart and just enjoy the racing without bothering about the score of upcoming heats.

if you like to know about who has scored what and what's still to come an App could simply provide that or be much more.  Rider stats, gate stats, heat stats, head to head stats, you could have it predict the result of upcoming heats.  As stated earlier you could even have have rider interviews live from the pits. 

if the App covered all league matches you could be sat at home getting the live scores and interviews just like the excellent speedway updates.  Maybe the App would provide post match highlights.

As I say, anything you want it to be depending on how much you have to invest. Certainly not everyones cup of tea but might it help attract a younger/wider audience? 

I'm particularly interested in fan interaction.  That's massive for TV shows like BGT, X Factor, The Jungle, Celebrity Dancing and the On Ice version (all of which I'd never watch) and would be a USP for speedway if via an App the public could interact, i.e. selecting gate positions. Unsure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, enotian said:

that's the jist of it plus it's also perceived to be greener.  some might consider filling in the programme to be a bit "wanky". I still like doing it but I'm a bit "wanky".

some people don't bother with a score chart and just enjoy the racing without bothering about the score of upcoming heats.

if you like to know about who has scored what and what's still to come an App could simply provide that or be much more.  Rider stats, gate stats, heat stats, head to head stats, you could have it predict the result of upcoming heats.  As stated earlier you could even have have rider interviews live from the pits. 

if the App covered all league matches you could be sat at home getting the live scores and interviews just like the excellent speedway updates.  Maybe the App would provide post match highlights.

As I say, anything you want it to be depending on how much you have to invest. Certainly not everyones cup of tea but might it help attract a younger/wider audience? 

I'm particularly interested in fan interaction.  That's massive for TV shows like BGT, X Factor, The Jungle, Celebrity Dancing and the On Ice version (all of which I'd never watch) and would be a USP for speedway if via an App the public could interact, i.e. selecting gate positions. Unsure.

I don't think an App on a phone would attract a younger person to attend a speedway meeting if they don't already do so.  If you like speedway, you're already there, you don't need it.  If you don't like speedway, you wouldn't have it on your phone in the first place, and if you've never heard of speedway, it wouldn't be on the phone either.

I stand by the guy who sells the programmes at King's Lynn, and he sells them by the box load at £3 a time, so there is still a big demand for the printed matter, as a lot of peple like a keepsake, and hopefully that will always be the case.

I'm sorry, but modern technology is killing this world.  You've only got to look at the amount of shops that are going out of business (forgetting the pandemic) because people buy on-line, thus putting shop workers out of work.  The same goes for a lot of factories, which are maned by robots these days, and I think the council workers are already out of work looking at all the pot holes in the roads.  I really do fear for the generation that are entering this world now, because by the time they leave school, there will be no jobs out there for them, which will just lead to more and more crime.  Just my opinion.       

• Like 3

I can't see an 'app' replacing the programme any time soon given the demographic of the fan base..

The same demographic who are by far and away the main sector who still purchase magazines and newspapers.. 

Although sales of those two kinds of publication have dropped circa 50% over the past ten years with many media companies now doing an on line version of their paper product to balance the loss of hard copy sales and hopefully attract the younger demographic who are more tech savvy..

If an 'app' is the "future" in attracting young people to watch the sport then it truly does have a problem..

Letting all kids still at school in for free, as long as supervised, and see if they like watching the sport enough to pay when they are older, would be my first move. 

Get into the nurseries and schools and give out free tickets to the kids to take home with a couple of £10 tickets for the parents/relatives to use.

Give the person in charge of the facility plenty of free tickets for their staff as a sweetener and start to build relationships with them which could include donating to fund raising, buying sports kits,  etc.etc..

Getting emotional loyalty from facilities within the local community who can influence literally thousands of young people and their guardians would deliver far more return than any 'app' could...

• Like 1

if admission prices don't go down to a reasonable level then i'm concerned people will forego speedway.

so many have been furloughed or lost their jobs in the last year, i think it may be asking a bit much to still be near £20 each

• Like 7

Eastbourne announced a few weeks ago that they would be making an evening at speedway more interactive and are looking at developing an app.

It gives the club all sorts of options in relation to the scorecard and putting out material during a match. However, they were very clear there would still be a printed programme and announcements / interviews for those who want. It doesn't have to be either/or.

People also talk about a big screen - great if you have one like King's Lynn but I suspect that was paid for on the back of stockcar money - they are expensive to instal.

App is the way forward and it is not just a young person's thing.

• Like 3

It seems that most people on here don't have the vision of what an app could be. One should be developed and aimed at kids, not as a replacement programme for the adults. How many times have you been at a Speedway meeting and the kids (fans of tomorrow) are just disinterested in what's going on, mainly during the long gaps between races and they just charge around annoying everybody else around them. You only have to look at the success of apps like Pokemon Go and the possibilities of augmented reality. These apps can be highly addictive and what's better than having the fans of tomorrow addicted to a night at the Speedway, for whatever reason.

Obviously these things don't come cheap, so it'll probably never happen unless Poland do it and it can be translated into English.

43 minutes ago, stevehone said:

if admission prices don't go down to a reasonable level then i'm concerned people will forego speedway.

so many have been furloughed or lost their jobs in the last year, i think it may be asking a bit much to still be near £20 each

Absolutely. I'm seriously considering cutting down and it hasn't even started yet!

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Eastbourne announced a few weeks ago that they would be making an evening at speedway more interactive and are looking at developing an app.

It gives the club all sorts of options in relation to the scorecard and putting out material during a match. However, they were very clear there would still be a printed programme and announcements / interviews for those who want. It doesn't have to be either/or.

People also talk about a big screen - great if you have one like King's Lynn but I suspect that was paid for on the back of stockcar money - they are expensive to instal.

So, everyone’s going to stand around looking at their mobile and thinking, this speedway’s great, I’ll keep coming back over and over, and bring all my mates with me so they can stand around looking at their mobiles - they’ll need their headphones (or whatever they’re called these days) though to drown the sound of those wretched motorbikes.

This is the way forward, folks, the saviour of our great sport.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Absolutely. I'm seriously considering cutting down and it hasn't even started yet!

In all honesty i wonder how many people on here can say the amount of visits to speedway has maintained / increased over the past 5 years? I used to be at various tracks often two-three times a week. That bubble has officially burst way before the pandemic but even now i know i won't get the magic bug back and will pick and choose any meetings i attend based upon the competing teams and if i can tie something else in with the trip.

21 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

So, everyone’s going to stand around looking at their mobile and thinking, this speedway’s great, I’ll keep coming back over and over, and bring all my mates with me so they can stand around looking at their mobiles - they’ll need their headphones (or whatever they’re called these days) though to drown the sound of those wretched motorbikes.

This is the way forward, folks, the saviour of our great sport.

Exactly..

There shouldn't be time to look at your phone because "something" is going on..

Attend a Speedway event in the US and there is always "something" happening between races..

Got to a Supercross event and there is always "something" happening between races..

Its "full on" interaction with the fans..

No time to get bored when "something" is going on to prick your interest..

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

In all honesty i wonder how many people on here can say the amount of visits to speedway has maintained / increased over the past 5 years? I used to be at various tracks often two-three times a week. That bubble has officially burst way before the pandemic but even now i know i won't get the magic bug back and will pick and choose any meetings i attend based upon the competing teams and if i can tie something else in with the trip.

For me, it was two instances that eventually "broke the camels back"..

One was the 'Aces' beating Swindon in an away meeting where they had to use Brady Kurtz instead of Craig Cook as Craig had to ride for Glasgow due to (I think) it being a rearranged match. Glasgow being the side he signed for just a couple  of weeks earlier mid season...

The fact that Brady top scored in 'our' win made it seem even more ridiculous given Poole, Swindon and the Aces were vying for the play offs at the time, and left me with no satisfaction whatsoever..

The other instance was the "swapping of guests at half time" plan rolled out initially for the Poole v KL play off final.. 

Even though someone at the 'top table' eventually came out and changed it, for me the damage was done as obviously someone else at the 'top table' had initially decreed this nonsense as "perfectly acceptable". 

(And having two Swindon riders there in the first place was ridiculous in itself)..

The bottom line for me was simply if those who run the sport dont take their own flagship competition seriously (as clearly demonstrated by their actions in those two cases), then how can they seriously expect me too..?

And also then seriously expect me to part with circa £40 for me and my lad to watch it...?

They do though inadvertently help me (through the money I save) to fund my Cardiff, SON, World U21 and other GP trips, so I do thank them for that.. :D

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, mikebv said:

For me, it was two instances that eventually "broke the camels back"..

One was the 'Aces' beating Swindon in an away meeting where they had to use Brady Kurtz instead of Craig Cook as Craig had to ride for Glasgow due to (I think) it being a rearranged match. Glasgow being the side he signed for just a couple  of weeks earlier mid season...

The fact that Brady top scored in 'our' win made it seem even more ridiculous given Poole, Swindon and the Aces were vying for the play offs at the time, and left me with no satisfaction whatsoever..

The other instance was the "swapping of guests at half time" plan rolled out initially for the Poole v KL play off final.. 

Even though someone at the 'top table' eventually came out and changed it, for me the damage was done as obviously someone else at the 'top table' had initially decreed this nonsense as "perfectly acceptable". 

(And having two Swindon riders there in the first place was ridiculous in itself)..

The bottom line for me was simply if those who run the sport dont take their own flagship competition seriously (as clearly demonstrated by their actions in those two cases), then how can they seriously expect me too..?

And also then seriously expect me to part with circa £40 for me and my lad to watch it...?

They do though inadvertently help me (through the money I save) to fund my Cardiff, SON, World U21 and other GP trips, so I do thank them for that.. :D

" for the good of speedway" explain that to all those young fans we are trying to attract .

2 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Plus providing many free admission tickets for U15’s, so looks like Eastbourne embracing both concepts being discussed on this thread.

Details here - https://www.eastbourne-speedway.com/eagles-plan-digital-transformation/

• Like 1

Why are people talking about an app like it’s just something to use on race night? As an example consider the Premier League and Moto GP apps, they are packed with stuff to keep people interested in between matches / race weekend so that when the next event comes around people are champing at the bit to be there or watch it however they can. Interviews, gossip, facts and figures, fantasy league etc etc. There is so much that technology can offer people when they aren’t at a speedway meeting, with perhaps a scorecard and a little bit of interaction on race night. People can still buy a paper programme if they want but why not offer a digital version too?

Like it or not we are in a digital / smartphone age and if speedway wants to even begin to think about having a future then embracing that is absolutely vital. 

• Like 7