British Speedway Forum

The biggest problem for the British domestic season  is not starting, but keeping going. ( see for example spectators being thrown out mid session in the Australian open tennis and Leipzig having to stage their home leg in Hungary because Liverpool FC weren't allowed into Germany.)

In some ways, the later the start the better, because it reduces the risk of short notice re-imposition of restrictions. Even then there are no guarantees ( what if a vaccine resistant strain emerges?)

I suspect that with Cardiff the biggest problem is the inability to get cancellation insurance (which is what did for Glastonbury) to guard against such issues.

16 hours ago, iainb said:

Just heard on the radio, the government are briefing the media that fans will be allowed back to sporting events from June. I wonder if the sport will push the season back by 1 month or try and run behind closed doors for a month?

I'd think the main problem is that the UK government has proved totally inconsistent and unreliable when it comes to deciding something. We were all told that 'Christmas wasn't cancelled' and everyone made plans, only for that to be changed a couple of days before. Same with the schools 'definitely opening' and then being closed one day later...

Even the whole story about the vaccine is inconsistent and has changed several times, with one minister saying one thing and another saying another.

What sensible business is going to plan events that rely on spectators - with the inherent costs that entails - in this climate? If I were speedway, which is pretty much totally reliant on spectators for its income, I wouldn't even be bothering to try to run this season. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I'd think the main problem is that the UK government has proved totally inconsistent and unreliable when it comes to deciding something. We were all told that 'Christmas wasn't cancelled' and everyone made plans, only for that to be changed a couple of days before. Same with the schools 'definitely opening' and then being closed one day later...

Even the whole story about the vaccine is inconsistent and has changed several times, with one minister saying one thing and another saying another.

What sensible business is going to plan events that rely on spectators - with the inherent costs that entails - in this climate? If I were speedway, which is pretty much totally reliant on spectators for its income, I wouldn't even be bothering to try to run this season. 

Tend to agree,things certainly are going to be far from normal for the rest of this year.Big gamble to rely on main income from fans.

32 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

There is a lot of evidence in non League Soccer, Cricket (ECB) and other outdoor Sports that restricted Crowds will be permitted from early May. 

It's pretty nailed on that major Events won't be allowed any more than 33-50% capacity but as we've discussed many times before most Speedway venues can open and break even at 25-33% capacity. Allowances will have to be made for internal areas like Bars and Toilets. Take your own flask and sausage rolls if you have to.

The biggest danger I think would be to abandon the season or to reduce it so much that the majority of venues can't open.

That would probably be the death knell for most of them and a large number of semi professional riders (the vast majority) who would have no income from speedway for a second season and quite likely flog all their gear and never return and focus on the day job.

If Europe remains slow to vaccinate; UK may yet find itself a safe haven where some will want to come and race.

If 50% of the population and those with 90% of the deaths and infections so far are vaccinated by March and increasing number after it, can't see any reason or excuse not to start by June.

It's then completely down to the individual to risk it or not.

Where would I be safer, surrounded by mask-less kids and covididiots running round in Sainsburys and the CoOp or socially distanced with my friends outdoor on the steps at Perry Barr once a week. 

41 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Agreed, I think it'd be more prudent for clubs to run their own regional competitions and open meetings this season, much like what happens in Australia and the USA. They don't have TV contracts to fulfil though.

2 hours ago, HGould said:

That would probably be the death knell for most of them and a large number of semi professional riders (the vast majority) who would have no income from speedway for a second season and quite likely flog all their gear and never return and focus on the day job.

Yes, but if you try to run in 2021, who's going to invest in new kit or get their engines tuned for a half-a-season or one that might be cut short at a moment's notice? 

As with many other people in the entertainment and sporting industries who've had to find alternative employment, it may already be too late.

If Europe remains slow to vaccinate; UK may yet find itself a safe haven where some will want to come and race.

No-one is going to be travelling to the UK to race whilst quarantining is mandatory for a minimum of 10 days, especially now with the threat of being forced to stay in a hotel and pay for it yourself. And that's even before we get to the random transport cancellations that makes it nearly impossible to plan anything.

If 50% of the population and those with 90% of the deaths and infections so far are vaccinated by March and increasing number after it, can't see any reason or excuse not to start by June.

It's still unclear whether the vaccinations prevent further infections or indeed completely reduce the risk of the recipient contracting COVID. The UK government is saying one thing on one hand, and then on the other saying the lifting of all restrictions is not likely for another year (and they said that last year too).

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Agreed, I think it'd be more prudent for clubs to run their own regional competitions and open meetings this season, much like what happens in Australia and the USA. They don't have TV contracts to fulfil though.

The reason that fully professional sports have been allowed to continue is partly because so much television money is at stake, and partly to keep the population 'entertained'. Fully professional squads also allow 'bubbles' to be formed and routine testing to be carried out, but that's not possible for semi-professional sports where the competitors have other jobs, and certainly not speedway where everyone travels independently to the track. 

It's then completely down to the individual to risk it or not.

Where would I be safer, surrounded by mask-less kids and covididiots running round in Sainsburys and the CoOp or socially distanced with my friends outdoor on the steps at Perry Barr once a week. 

You could have said that was the case all along, but that hasn't prevented the country from being locked down under the guise of 'protecting the NHS' (which actually is a legitimate consideration). Whilst that philosophy remains and the government's scientific's advisors continue to predict doom, I don't see a lot changing until much later this year. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iainb said:

The leagues should have been regionalised for this season. If parts of the country are in different tiers with no spectators allowed, it would be financial suicide for some clubs to run meetings behind closed doors.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The leagues should have been regionalised for this season. If parts of the country are in different tiers with no spectators allowed, it would be financial suicide for some clubs to run meetings behind closed doors.

Personally don’t think any club will want to run without spectators, this season could become very disjointed if you bring in different tier situation.

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Personally don’t think any club will want to run without spectators, this season could become very disjointed if you bring in different tier situation.

I'd be suprised if the whole nation (including Scotland) came out of lockdown in the same tier. Surely the infection rates will differ by region.

43 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I'd be suprised if the whole nation (including Scotland) came out of lockdown in the same tier. Surely the infection rates will differ by region.

Agree,that’s why the sport will be in disarray if that happens

Although not ignoring the current potential risks that may still be present at the proposed start of the season. It is worth considering.
- By the time May 1st arrives the vast majority of the age group who attend speedway will have been vaccinated.
- There is a good chance that somebody who has been vaccinated will not be able to pass on the infection to somebody who has not been vaccinated.
- The majority of speedway venues will be able to operate within the confines of a social distancing policy inclusive of crowd limitation helped  by adopting advance ticket sales    only.
- For the first couple of months social distancing measures could include the mandatory wearing of face masks (no exceptions - including health reasons - sorry but if you cant    wear a mask you can't attend)
- For the big events like Cardiff -  The volume of tickets already sold would be sufficient for the GP to be held within the percentage of capacity allowed and if travel limitations are still in situ, then those folk should have the cost of their ticket refunded so long as they did not buy them whilst the restrictions were in place (or via insurance if purchased via credit card?)

From a risks analysis perceptive, Covid is going to be with us for many years to come, perhaps for ever. However, like so many other pandemic type of diseases such virus's once understood (and Covid is well understood by those who need to know) are manageable & whilst there is still a massive need to be vigilant and patient in how we go out and about once lockdown begins to be eased, there is a strong case for a positive outlook for the not too distant future.

That said, if folk do indeed remain "in fear" then they should by all means, stay safe and stay at home. 

FROM the Daily Telegraph (maybe substitute speedway for county cricket) ...

County cricket hopes that its elderly fanbase means it will be the first sport to allow spectators to return to grounds when the Championship season begins on April 8. Plans under discussion include admitting only spectators who have had a Covid-19 vaccine at least three weeks previously — the point at which the doses are highly effective — to further reduce the likelihood of transmission in grounds. Positive news about the rollout of the vaccine is leading to growing optimism among county chiefs, with everyone over the age of 50 due to have received one dose by the end of March.

• Like 3

We, in Leicester, have been under restrictions since March of last year and even when the rest of the country "re-opened" we didn't, with reports of higher levels of vaccine hesitancy in the city I think we'll be one of the last city's to have restrictions lifted. I hope that is by the 1st of May but judging by what's happened over the last year I can't see it.