British Speedway Forum

Great news re bringing on the young riders..

A successful GB team will deliver miles more coverage, publicity and therefore awareness of the sport, than any individual team success ever could.. 

5 years though is a long time, and we have had plans of this length before..

So let's hope this time they stay solidly behind the plan..

Although, given some of the people now involved, I think we can have a bit  more confidence that such a plan will now get carried through...

Are the terms ‘rising stars’ and ‘youngsters’ defined anywhere?

Who determines the ‘rising stars’ grading, is it fixed at the start the year, or can it change throughout the year ?

What happens if said rider is unavailable for whatever reason, presumably a similarly graded replacement ?

This is a good move and will encourage and benefit the young up and coming riders.
It’s not an original concept as a similar thing has been done before. Will it improve the speedway product and put more bums on seats? I very much doubt it.
I fully appreciate the BSPL PR has to be positive and optimistic but inevitable this underwhelming announcement will not have much impact on making the sport sustainable and saving clubs and promotors from going bust! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, woofers said:

Are the terms ‘rising stars’ and ‘youngsters’ defined anywhere?

Who determines the ‘rising stars’ grading, is it fixed at the start the year, or can it change throughout the year ?

What happens if said rider is unavailable for whatever reason, presumably a similarly graded replacement ?

I would assume Neil Vatcher will be heavily involved in the respective 'star rating' of the riders and will presumably already have had some conversation with the riders as to who can ride when and where?1

3 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

This is a good move and will encourage and benefit the young up and coming riders.
It’s not an original concept as a similar thing has been done before. Will it improve the speedway product and put more bums on seats? I very much doubt it.
I fully appreciate the BSPL PR has to be positive and optimistic but inevitable this underwhelming announcement will not have much impact on making the sport sustainable and saving clubs and promotors from going bust! 

If Eurosport are fully behind it - as they claim - then it should help all clubs.

Just now, Skidder1 said:

If Eurosport are fully behind it - as they claim - then it should help all clubs.

Maybe yes but not sure what being “fully behind” it is? No details, nothing defined. No plan. Just words! NB. TV deals do not bring in fans...they want armchair viewers. 

NO AGE LIMIT ON SO CALLED   "RISING STARS AND YOUNGSTERS"     WTF                                                 

Edited by Fromtheback

So we had to wait over a week because the BSPL had a big announcement to make via their media partners Eurosport... who managed to muster up a paragraph and a half in that time? Talk about an anti climax. Was hoping for some form of streaming service to be announced as had been rumoured but nothing of the sort.

It’s good news that British Youth riders are now being a minimum requirement in every team though, that’s a good move. I just hope that teams don’t now try and wrangle it to end up with dodgy Australian’s at reserve who has a long lost auntie with British heritage and sneak in that way.

Likewise, I hope they don’t sack it off mid season like they did with this exact same process about 15 years ago, when Boxall and Armstrong (god knows why he was included from the beginning but that’s another story) performed above what was expected and were forced into the main body of each team. If teams pick up some young riders who are blinders and perform above the expected then that is only great news and they shouldn’t be punished for it.

The next argument will come next year when teams want certain riders downgraded to fit into their team or opposing riders upgraded... we can only hope not! 

• Like 1

Why does anyone need to know about streaming until at least mid-April?

9 minutes ago, Najjer said:

So we had to wait over a week because the BSPL had a big announcement to make via their media partners Eurosport... who managed to muster up a paragraph and a half in that time? Talk about an anti climax. Was hoping for some form of streaming service to be announced as had been rumoured but nothing of the sort.

It’s good news that British Youth riders are now being a minimum requirement in every team though, that’s a good move. I just hope that teams don’t now try and wrangle it to end up with dodgy Australian’s at reserve who has a long lost auntie with British heritage and sneak in that way.

Likewise, I hope they don’t sack it off mid season like they did with this exact same process about 15 years ago, when Boxall and Armstrong (god knows why he was included from the beginning but that’s another story) performed above what was expected and were forced into the main body of each team. If teams pick up some young riders who are blinders and perform above the expected then that is only great news and they shouldn’t be punished for it.

The next argument will come next year when teams want certain riders downgraded to fit into their team or opposing riders upgraded... we can only hope not! 

NO AGE LIMIT ON SO CALLED   "RISING STARS AND YOUNGSTERS"  

Ooh. A five year plan. How exciting. Am I the only person seeing deja vu here?

Points limit of 35.5 plus what will effectively be a three pointer, yes? So a points limit of 38.5 for the top league of 6 teams? Are people actually approving of this?

How did things go last time they put points limits in the thirties into operation? Crowds pretty much halved. Now they are doing it again.

What happened before when they did the 2 point junior in every side rule? They scrapped it after a year because they riders couldn't keep up.

I guess it depends on the level of the gradings for British youngsters and who are included, but this will please those who want to watch grass roots speedway and everyone else will continue drifting away like they did before.

Also there is one less team in the Premiership this year to what there was in 2019, so it is an even bigger drop in points limit than it looks.

To be honest, I don't even see the point of having a six team Premiership of this standard. Why bother? Why not just have one league of Championship standard and have done with it. There seems little to gain from being a top flight team under this system.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Excellent post Grachan.  Saved me a lot of typing. 

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

I would assume Neil Vatcher will be heavily involved in the respective 'star rating' of the riders and will presumably already have had some conversation with the riders as to who can ride when and where?1

If previous experience is anything to go by Vatcher will have no say whatsoever on gradings which will be being done by a member of the top table mafia or their appointee like it’s always done.

Clubs will approach the ‘ youngsters ‘ directly and it will be a case of the club giving the best guarantee that gets their first choice.

Its a good idea but , as per usual, money will dictate who goes where.

• Like 1

So, for those whinging about the announcement, what would you have introduced? Lets have some ideas.

• Like 2