British Speedway Forum

13 minutes ago, OGT said:

As far as an app is concerned, the possibilities are endless. For example, how about each rider carries a helmet cam which fans can link to through the app, therefore experiencing the action first hand? Riders could also have a small digital display mounted on their handlebars on which supporters could send them messages during a race, such as "get your finger out", "how about team riding for a change", he's behind you", or "are you trying to artificially lower your average again so you can go back to Poole?!"

Just a couple of ideas .

Comedy gold yes but interaction and feedback in real time could be a way of adding a real connect between teams and fans. Rider of the night votes, heat 15 rider votes (even if they are just opinion polls), heat result predictions to play along with whilst the next heat comes out. The options are vast even for such a niche sport. If someone takes it and drives it forward the commercial scale is actually quite large.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mimmo said:

I'm sorry, but modern technology is killing this world.  You've only got to look at the amount of shops that are going out of business (forgetting the pandemic) because people buy on-line, thus putting shop workers out of work.  The same goes for a lot of factories, which are maned by robots these days, and I think the council workers are already out of work looking at all the pot holes in the roads.  I really do fear for the generation that are entering this world now, because by the time they leave school, there will be no jobs out there for them, which will just lead to more and more crime.  Just my opinion.       

Some might say modern technology is actually saving the world as part of the green agenda. I'm not sure. I think you're saying that technology is killing society. I might agree.

What I am sure of is that the world/society changes, always has always will. Even speedway changes. Mostly defined by the competitive nature of the sport.

You can decide that you'd prefer if everything was like the old days and resist change but you can't stop change, it is inevitable.

As a business if you'd don't embrace change you will fail.  There are many examples. 

I don't think for one minute that having a speedway app will on its own attract thousands of young people to flock to their nearest track but just look at what other successful sports, businesses or even celebrities are doing.  They're providing exclusive online content, discounts, access to merchandise and writing their own narrative, not letting the journalists define how they are perceived.

Now you and I might see through this as propaganda but alas the vast majority lap it up. As we've seen very dangerous when the politicians apply the same but if you're waiting for the tide to change you're going to get wet. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, enotian said:

I don't think for one minute that having a speedway app will on its own attract thousands of young people to flock to their nearest track but just look at what other successful sports, businesses or even celebrities are doing. 

Because speedway was of course of attracting thousands of young people, or indeed thousands of people of any age before apps came along. :D

The argument that technology is ruining things reminds me when football refused to show matches on television - far less live - on the grounds that no-one would turn up to the grounds. The irony was that attendances actually increased once the sport entered the 20th century... 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Because speedway was of course of attracting thousands of young people, or indeed thousands of people of any age before apps came along. :D

The argument that technology is ruining things reminds me when football refused to show matches on television - far less live - on the grounds that no-one would turn up to the grounds. The irony was that attendances actually increased once the sport entered the 20th century... 

....except, of course, many clubs were strugglng financially even before the present pandemic kicked in.

Edited by steve roberts

7 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The general point is that speedway crowds used to be larger. They're decreasing because the sport isn't providing everything the customer base wants or there's more choice elsewhere providing more of what the customer base wants.

Football, via Sky Sports, did a massive rebranding exercise. After years of violence and under investment in stadia football was only a domain for die hearts and those looking for trouble.  Sounds familiar (apart from the violence bit). The tragedy of Hillsborough and Valley Parade provided a unique opportunity to totally reset the whole industry.

Interestingly, speaking to fellow football supporters who can now watch every game (home and away) from the comfort of our own homes for considerably less than it costs to go to the actual game, can't wait to get back to actually attending the matches.  It's the overall matchday experience that is perceived to be worth spending more on. Not sure how attainable that is outside of football. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Why are people talking about an app like it’s just something to use on race night? As an example consider the Premier League and Moto GP apps, they are packed with stuff to keep people interested in between matches / race weekend so that when the next event comes around people are champing at the bit to be there or watch it however they can. Interviews, gossip, facts and figures, fantasy league etc etc. There is so much that technology can offer people when they aren’t at a speedway meeting, with perhaps a scorecard and a little bit of interaction on race night. People can still buy a paper programme if they want but why not offer a digital version too?

Like it or not we are in a digital / smartphone age and if speedway wants to even begin to think about having a future then embracing that is absolutely vital. 

Exactly. App is always there for you - just up to club to provide the content.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 5:31 PM, Ringitsneck said:

Yes, a certain Mr. Gerhard has it in a Swiss bank account and is laughing , literally, all the way to the bank!

Were the engines acually purchased?

3 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

Only 16 made it into the Uk . The mafia have tried to sue him , and failed, hence the BSPA are skint 

On 2/2/2021 at 9:59 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

In all honesty i wonder how many people on here can say the amount of visits to speedway has maintained / increased over the past 5 years? I used to be at various tracks often two-three times a week. That bubble has officially burst way before the pandemic but even now i know i won't get the magic bug back and will pick and choose any meetings i attend based upon the competing teams and if i can tie something else in with the trip.

You must be one of hundreds of people who contribute to this forum that still has a massive interest in speedway, but don’t attend. There will be thousands outside of the forum that are in the same boat.

I just wonder if the BSPA/BSPL has ever even considered doing any form of market research targeted at these people wondering what it would take to entice these people back to the sport? It would be much easier to get these people back than to try and entice new fans with no interest or background in the sport.

I don’t know the answer to my question but I would be willing to stick my neck on the line and say NO they haven’t, because they probably don’t want to know the answers...

I’ve said many times in the past Speedway is marketed wrong on so many levels. It should be advertised as an extreme sport not a nice night out for the family sport.

On 2/2/2021 at 11:19 AM, Bagpuss said:

Why are people talking about an app like it’s just something to use on race night? As an example consider the Premier League and Moto GP apps, they are packed with stuff to keep people interested in between matches / race weekend so that when the next event comes around people are champing at the bit to be there or watch it however they can. Interviews, gossip, facts and figures, fantasy league etc etc. There is so much that technology can offer people when they aren’t at a speedway meeting, with perhaps a scorecard and a little bit of interaction on race night. People can still buy a paper programme if they want but why not offer a digital version too?

Like it or not we are in a digital / smartphone age and if speedway wants to even begin to think about having a future then embracing that is absolutely vital. 

Very good point - The possibilities are endless. I myself as first port of call always used the ‘Premier League’ app for my football news, fixtures, results and most importantly fantasy league on a daily basis. There is no reason why that same model couldn’t be adopted for British Speedway. The comments about “spending all night at the speedway looking at my phone” are pretty short sighted.

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, tyretrax said:

From what I remember reading, the engines were not bought by the BSPA but were going to be subsidised by the BSPA, for example, if the engine cost £5500, the rider paid £4000 & the BSPA paid £1500 up to the £350,000 deal.  

49 minutes ago, Najjer said:

You must be one of hundreds of people who contribute to this forum that still has a massive interest in speedway, but don’t attend. There will be thousands outside of the forum that are in the same boat.

I just wonder if the BSPA/BSPL has ever even considered doing any form of market research targeted at these people wondering what it would take to entice these people back to the sport? It would be much easier to get these people back than to try and entice new fans with no interest or background in the sport.

I don’t know the answer to my question but I would be willing to stick my neck on the line and say NO they haven’t, because they probably don’t want to know the answers...

I’ve said many times in the past Speedway is marketed wrong on so many levels. It should be advertised as an extreme sport not a nice night out for the family sport.

Very good point - The possibilities are endless. I myself as first port of call always used the ‘Premier League’ app for my football news, fixtures, results and most importantly fantasy league on a daily basis. There is no reason why that same model couldn’t be adopted for British Speedway. The comments about “spending all night at the speedway looking at my phone” are pretty short sighted.

Fortunately im not a complete non-attendee and do still get a fair fix of Speedway in over the active seasons but not to the levels that i did previously. I can just no longer throwing money at meetings where the entertainment is minimal. A lot of the southern tracks have quite a home bias and as im not a supporter of any given team (just a few soft spots for certain clubs) but rather a supporter of the sport in general and so pick my matches based upon the quality of the visiting sides. A sentiment that i think is growing amongst the more casual fan base the sport has.

Edited by Sings4Speedway
missed a bit
  • Like 2

On 2/1/2021 at 9:23 PM, Tsunami said:

Obviously you haven't been watching the BYC 500cc finals in the last 2 years. Look at the result in the Scunny BYC meeting last year when those 4 riders were in the final and Freeman was in third place and just got pipped on the last corner. :D

I have actually Dave, and the results over the full series speak for themselves.

Not just the one meeting you mentioned at Scunthorpe.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Fortunately im not a complete non-attendee and do still get a fair fix of Speedway in over the active seasons but not to the levels that i did previously. I can just no longer throwing money at meetings where the entertainment is minimal. A lot of the southern tracks have quite a home bias and as im not a supporter of any given team (just a few soft spots for certain clubs) but rather a supporter of the sport in general and so pick my matches based upon the quality of the visiting sides. A sentiment that i think is growing amongst the more casual fan base the sport has.

My levels are decreasing slowly. The loss of Lakeside and Rye House are a major factor in this. If Eastbourne, Kent or the IOW folded, my numbers would come down considerably. I've lost a lot of my appetite for long distance travelling due to the pandemic. Will this ever return, who knows. I'll be a couple of years older when things finally get back to normal.