British Speedway Forum

On 2/2/2021 at 10:00 AM, mikebv said:

Exactly..

There shouldn't be time to look at your phone because "something" is going on..

Attend a Speedway event in the US and there is always "something" happening between races..

Got to a Supercross event and there is always "something" happening between races..

Its "full on" interaction with the fans..

No time to get bored when "something" is going on to prick your interest..

I take it that listening to Dancing Queen by Abba on the stadium PA isn't your idea of "something" then? :D

• Haha 1

If the individual GP type series goes ahead i'd like the IOW and Mildenhall promotions to be asked if they would like to run a round each.

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

I take it that listening to Dancing Queen by Abba on the stadium PA isn't your idea of "something" then? :D

:D

KTel's Hits Of The Seventies..:D

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2021 at 12:23 PM, Ghosty said:

MY VIEW.... The best we can hope for is a 4 month season July to September, the whole of U.K. should be revamped NOW but only for 2021. Teams to be made-up of  U.K. based riders.

Meanwhile every effort should be made for a complete relaunch of our once great sport for 2022, this to include:

1. To get Coventry, Oxford & Bradford up & running.

2. To standardise bikes for the 2 lower leagues therefore lower (overall) cost.

3. Cap pay rates in all leagues that are affordable via tracks income,

4. Stage creditable regular home fixtures @ all tracks.

5. Stop double up/down & guest other than injury cover.

6. Introduce the use of smartphones as part of the live meeting experience (to get the young involved).

7. Getting promoters heads out of the sand, take a step back & look again.

Nice to see some agree with my views! Look's like the promoters are going wholesale against number 5 nearly all riders in the Premiership also riding in the Championship - what's the difference? only the admission charge, gives speedway no credibility. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Nice to see some agree with my views! Look's like the promoters are going wholesale against number 5 nearly all riders in the Premiership also riding in the Championship - what's the difference? only the admission charge, gives speedway no credibility. 

Interesting contradiction going on there....

On the one hand an opposition to doubling up, which is forced upon the clubs by the lack of enough riders to go round, and yet wanting 3 new teams to join the fray, requiring 21 more riders to be discovered out of nowhere. OR do we go for "tripling up"? Or does speedway do what we used to do in primary school, get two team captains, and line everyone up against a wall and the captains take turns in picking the riders for who's going to be in their team this week?

17 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Interesting contradiction going on there....

On the one hand an opposition to doubling up, which is forced upon the clubs by the lack of enough riders to go round, and yet wanting 3 new teams to join the fray, requiring 21 more riders to be discovered out of nowhere. OR do we go for "tripling up"? Or does speedway do what we used to do in primary school, get two team captains, and line everyone up against a wall and the captains take turns in picking the riders for who's going to be in their team this week?

I said that every effort should be made in 2021 to get those 3 tracks up & running in 2022. To know "your team" has 5 of it's riders borrowed from the other league for the night doesn't give the fans any ownership of their team, as you say just as well get 14 riders turn up & pick your team on the night. Moves have to be taken that riders can earn a wage riding for one UK team. 

9 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I said that every effort should be made in 2021 to get those 3 tracks up & running in 2022. To know "your team" has 5 of it's riders borrowed from the other league for the night doesn't give the fans any ownership of their team, as you say just as well get 14 riders turn up & pick your team on the night. Moves have to be taken that riders can earn a wage riding for one UK team. 

Sadly what we have is the obvious legacy to years of running the sport with a very narrow insular view which, when added to a lack of any clear direction, resulted in what we have today..

And you wont solve these issues 'overnight', however..

There does appear to be more of a forward thinking collection of promoters out there nowadays, who can see the bigger picture that they desperately need to follow..

This year might end up "a bit Mickey Mouse" given teams may end up sharing riders all over the place to get meetings on...

But let's be honest it's been "a bit Mickey Mouse" for many years hasnt it? So lets give them a bit of slack this season with the hope a 'new dawn' is around the corner..

• Like 3

On 2/1/2021 at 10:26 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

The only benefit i can see of an app would be to remove the need for a physical program. A scorecard with the actual riders and updated meeting scores and actual times so that nobody has to rely on shoddy PA systems. They would get around any cancellation and reprints plus the dreaded insert. Obviously there are plenty who still enjoy the physical program but in a green sustainable world e-programs feel like the future.

Forgive my technical ignorance, but what is the advantage of using an app, as opposed to just accessing a website?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ghosty said:

So you want a wage cap ( your point 3 ) but then want riders to earn a wage in one league? Can’t have both surely ?

your other 6 points aren’t going to happen in our life time either unless there’s a total change at the top of speedway.

Just heard on the radio, the government are briefing the media that fans will be allowed back to sporting events from June. I wonder if the sport will push the season back by 1 month or try and run behind closed doors for a month?

On 2/13/2021 at 12:04 PM, ShyTalk said:

Forgive my technical ignorance, but what is the advantage of using an app, as opposed to just accessing a website?

functionality on a hand held device. It's basically a user interface, and accessing a website is what your grandad used to do when he was a lad. 

6 hours ago, iainb said:

Just heard on the radio, the government are briefing the media that fans will be allowed back to sporting events from June. I wonder if the sport will push the season back by 1 month or try and run behind closed doors for a month?

Don’t think any Club will want to run behind closed Doors IMO.

Early days I know but doesn’t sound good for Cardiff GP this year, maybe a few thousand in speedway stadiums but not 40 thousand ?

8 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t think any Club will want to run behind closed Doors IMO.

I agree, makes you wonder whether British Speedway will start something they possibly can't finish then... I wonder if there's a plan?

Edited by iainb

7 minutes ago, iainb said:

I agree, makes you wonder whether British Speedway will start something they possibly can't finish then... I wonder if there's a plan?

Plan B or C.