British Speedway Forum

25 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

The new Provincial League, memories of watching at Hackney in 1963(?). Trouble is there are so few stadiums these days that could hold speedway but are not doing at the present.

Plenty of stadiums Chris 116.....

Rye House, Isle of Wight, Coventry, Oxford, Lakeside (its still there) , to name but 5 that still have a track.  Not sure that anyone is mad enought to try and promote the sport within the "BSPL"  

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Plenty of stadiums Chris 116.....

Rye House, Isle of Wight, Coventry, Oxford, Lakeside (its still there) , to name but 5 that still have a track.  Not sure that anyone is mad enought to try and promote the sport within the "BSPL"  

To which I could add Buxton but you would need a few million to get Coventry and Oxford back I fear. 

7 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Personally id look at hosting challenge matches against ex/ghost teams, the individuals/pairs events they normally hold plus practice days. But the BSPL could get petty and stop license holders from riding (done multiple times before). Alternatively the short track fraternity might be getting very excited right now.

It'd be interesting to see them trying to take licenses from riders for riding in meetings held under an alternative authority, the ACU went to court over this in the 1970's and told it was illegal. They have blustered and threatened many times since but never actually carried out their threat. Didn't the BSPA or ACU make a similar threat about Lydd but didn't take any action when it came down to it?

I'd love to ride the Island on a flat tracker so you're right about getting excited but whether there is any chance of a DTRA meeting there this year is very doubtful. Only issue I can see for following years is that it is an expensive trip in a van so a rained off weekend would be a disaster.

I hope for both Martin and Barry though that Speedway returns, they must have put an unbelievable amount of work in and have left everybody impressed with their efforts. The rest of the sport should be looking at the Island for answers not shutting it out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vince said:

It'd be interesting to see them trying to take licenses from riders for riding in meetings held under an alternative authority, the ACU went to court over this in the 1970's and told it was illegal. They have blustered and threatened many times since but never actually carried out their threat. Didn't the BSPA or ACU make a similar threat about Lydd but didn't take any action when it came down to it?

I'd love to ride the Island on a flat tracker so you're right about getting excited but whether there is any chance of a DTRA meeting there this year is very doubtful. Only issue I can see for following years is that it is an expensive trip in a van so a rained off weekend would be a disaster.

I hope for both Martin and Barry though that Speedway returns, they must have put an unbelievable amount of work in and have left everybody impressed with their efforts. The rest of the sport should be looking at the Island for answers not shutting it out.

Yeah ive heard several threats regarding Lydd without any action but there was an amateur league that was due to run out of Eastbourne a few years back under a different banner but riders were told they would be suspended if they took part so it never got off the ground. Being enforceable isn't always required just the threat to many who wouldn't be able to afford to take the governing body to court over it can be enough.

8 hours ago, Chris116 said:

To which I could add Buxton but you would need a few million to get Coventry and Oxford back I fear. 

Plus Iwade, and Lydd is a lovely little track.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mimmo said:

Plus Iwade, and Lydd is a lovely little track.

You could add more to that list if you dig deeper. The likes of Sunderland, Cowdenbeath, Shawfield, Skegness, Brafield and Derwent Park.

53 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

You could add more to that list if you dig deeper. The likes of Sunderland, Cowdenbeath, Shawfield, Skegness, Brafield and Derwent Park.

Glasgow has a team, where would the support come from? Again it would take a lot of money to get it up and running. Cut a new track, construct safety fence, pits and dressing rooms. :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Glasgow has a team, where would the support come from? Again it would take a lot of money to get it up and running. Cut a new track, construct safety fence, pits and dressing rooms. :rolleyes:

Don't get your knickers in a twist. I was just listing ex speedway stadiums still standing!

4 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Don't get your knickers in a twist. I was just listing ex speedway stadiums still standing!

Great answer, nothing like having a discussion and that was nothing like having a disscusion.

So sensible standing and functioning tracks at this point or immediate future.....Iwade, Lydd, IOW, Buxton, Northside with the potential for Odsal, Oxford, Coventry and maybe Mildenhall to join the list. 

Thats enough tracks to run a sustainable league dependent on format (i guess that would depend on promotions / fans input). Ultimately the aim would be to provide a decent standard of entertainment and a sensible or even reduced price. Run under a different banner away from the tyranny of the BSPL so that all participants benefit and can continue to do so. 

• Like 1