British Speedway Forum
old bob at herne bay

Defunct speedway tracks - and their resurrection

43 minutes ago, chunky said:

Went there a few times in the 80's for stock cars (we had some hols up there). Narrow track, so it may take a bit of work. Of course, if they couldn't get it back when speedway was still "popular", I think it may be a struggle now...

In response to old Bob's question, there have been quite a few tracks that have reopened after being out of action for a while. Unfortunately, most have since been flattened. The ones that spring to mind since the mid-60's are the London quartet (Hackney, Wembley, White City, and Wimbledon), Plymouth (Pennycross), and Birmingham (Perry Barr).

Berwick (Shielfield Park), Newcastle (Brough Park), and Workington (Derwent Park) all reopened successfully, and although we don't know what will happen with the latter, it is still standing.

I passed Skegness Stadium only last year when a meeting was taking place which, again, was somewhat out of town but that was a complete disaster when the sport was introduced there during the nineties.

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I passed Skegness Stadium only last year when a meeting was taking place which, again, was somewhat out of town but that was a complete disaster when the sport was introduced there during the nineties.

Of course the rain offs most weeks before the promotion gave up also played a part.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I went there twice. Once for a rain off and also the last PL level meeting against Arena Essex. It was quite a sparce stadium, but the track was a good shape. On a gorgeous sunny evening, the crowd was no more than 200!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I went to what turned out to be the last two meetings at Skegness. Complete dust bowl and barely anybody watching.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Again, it goes back to what I keep saying; that we have been forced out of city centres (for various reasons), and just aren't as visible and accessible as we used to be.

10 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Circuit car racing at Skegness.

http://skegness-raceway.info/Home

Edited by Guest
spelling error

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Again, it goes back to what I keep saying; that we have been forced out of city centres (for various reasons), and just aren't as visible and accessible as we used to be.

I wish Oxford all the possible luck but personally I think that it will be fraught with problems as it lies within a built up area having lain dormant for ten plus years.

Sunderland Stadium looked to be in a decent state when I passed it a few years back now. Was never really a success as a speedway and having Nwcastle running a team I guess finding sufficient interest would be difficult but, then again, think of the rivalry it may well educe?

11 hours ago, steve roberts said:

33 minutes ago, gustix said:

Circuit car racing at Skegness.

http://skegness-raceway.info/Home

Defunct Tracks and Skegness speedway racing 1997:

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Skegness.htm

Does anyone know what the plans are for Arena Essex, as apparently the stadium hasn't been touched since its closure 2 years ago.

I guess the current climate is not helping but what happened to Bristol as remember bit back in the star there was a guy looking to get them back up and running?

20 hours ago, NickH114 said:

Does anyone know what the plans are for Arena Essex, as apparently the stadium hasn't been touched since its closure 2 years ago.

No decision on the planning application yet.

I'd presume the developers are in discussion with Thurrock and that has been stalled/slowed down by Covid

A couple of viable people gave looked to restart racing (initially 4 wheels, but to inc speedway too)

The land owners stance is there will never be another race of any description on that land again.

4 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

A couple of viable people gave looked to restart racing (initially 4 wheels, but to inc speedway too)

The land owners stance is there will never be another race of any description on that land again.

There's a suprise. No landowner is going to want sitting tenants on their property.