British Speedway Forum
old bob at herne bay

Defunct speedway tracks - and their resurrection

12 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Over the last two decades I would venture (without doing too much research) that we’ve lost a lot more tracks than we’ve gained. 

Due to a variety of reasons, opening a track now is a lot harder than it was in the past. Noise concerns, lack of interest from fans, Speedway being a black hole for money being just three. Opening a new Speedway track ultimately is more trouble than it is worth. That isn’t cynicism, I wish it was. But it’s realism. 

Blind positivity helps nobody in the same way that criticising for criticism’s sake helps nobody. What is becoming ever more apparent on this forum recently to my mind is that more and more fans are growing disillusioned with the way the sport is run here. But change seems to be a long way away, or non-existent. 

Supporters are customers. They don’t owe the promoters a thing. It is the promoter’s job (and business) to get numbers through the turnstiles. If those numbers are dropping off then they aren’t doing their job properly. If a promoter can’t promote then why do they deserve for supporters to support them? 

Of course we've lost more than we gained which is why we have to fight now.

Or do we simply post on forums, try to show how clever we are and wait for the sport to die? 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

So, the BSF message is clear, do nothing, put off anyone who does try to make something happen and look for someone to blame.

And you people knock the promoters. Disgusting, ignorant negativity. 

5 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Or do we simply post on forums, try to show how clever we are and wait for the sport to die? 

:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

So, the BSF message is clear, do nothing, put off anyone who does try to make something happen and look for someone to blame.

And you people knock the promoters. Disgusting, ignorant negativity. 

Oh dear.......yet again, can't discuss, gets the message totally wrong, goes ott and starts to abuse

• Like 2

Oh dear, oh dear, iris123 pathetically seizing an opportunity to carry on one of his nasty, sad little vendettas. I'm the current target.

This is a serious matter and far more important than a worrying need by him to bully people. I am so passionate about this subject because I cannot stand to see people just poising the sport with every excuse to spread doom and gloom. Yes there are serious problems to be faced, but that is the key, the need to be faced and acted upon. Fight for your sport and stop sneering at those who do. 

Anyway, now iris123 has stuck his knife in it's time to leave you to wallow in depression.See how many things are catastrophically wrong, what mistakes have been made, who to blame, how many tracks have closed and could well close soon. I won't be reading. Have your fun. 

Just sit there, proud that you were 'right' and just watch the sport die. - or just find a victim to constantly attack like iris23. I'm not the first and In won't be the last. Perhaps his isp needs to remind him of harassment policy? 

23 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Forums are for debate Rob. 

So as fans we should fight because the people we would be fighting for seemingly couldn’t run a piss up in a brewery? It isn’t the job of the fans to save the sport, it is the job of the people running the sport to save the sport. For. The. Fans. No fans, no sport.

It amuses me that anyone who doesn’t agree with your opinion is apparently trying to “be clever” and trying to put people off the sport. How about some reasoned debate as opposed to toy throwing. 

Edited by Ben91
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Oh dear, oh dear, iris123 pathetically seizing an opportunity to carry on one of his nasty, sad little vendettas. I'm the current target.

This is a serious matter and far more important than a worrying need by him to bully people. I am so passionate about this subject because I cannot stand to see people just poising the sport with every excuse to spread doom and gloom. Yes there are serious problems to be faced, but that is the key, the need to be faced and acted upon. Fight for your sport and stop sneering at those who do. 

Anyway, now iris123 has stuck his knife in it's time to leave you to wallow in depression.See how many things are catastrophically wrong, what mistakes have been made, who to blame, how many tracks have closed and could well close soon. I won't be reading. Have your fun. 

Just sit there, proud that you were 'right' and just watch the sport die. - or just find a victim to constantly attack like iris23. I'm not the first and In won't be the last. Perhaps his isp needs to remind him of harassment policy? 

How is it harassment to use your post and point something out, especially your usual abuse of people who disagree with your high opinion ? Strange

43 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I salute your sir.Comments that many - some of whom have quit BSF because of this poster - will heartily condone and support. 

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, gustix said:

I salute your sir.Comments that many - some of whom have quit BSF because of this poster - will heartily condone and support. 

It's nice to have you back. I look forward to a positive post or three from you on the sport. :t:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gustix said:

Anyone who quits the BSF over a difference of opinion, must have very thin skin. I've had plenty of digs aimed at me over the years, and i couldn't give a monkeys. The forum's purpose is to debate, not to agree with everything someone might say, wether that be positive or negative.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Anyone who quits the BSF over a difference of opinion, must have very thin skin. I've had plenty of digs aimed at me over the years, and i couldn't give a monkeys. The forum's purpose is to debate, not to agree with everything someone might say, wether that be positive or negative.

Dunno what kind of fantasy world you're living in, Tony??? :rofl:

16 hours ago, iris123 said:

It's nice to have you back. I look forward to a positive post or three from you on the sport. :t:

I'm sure Terry Mussett would agree...

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2020 at 9:01 AM, old bob at herne bay said:

With all the discussions about Oxford Coventry Rye House.......which still have the remains of stadia in place.. I was looking back and thinking  how many defunct tracks have successfully been rescued ? 

The success rate is pretty low I think 

I can remember New Cross having a few attempts in the early 1960’s at reopening.... none of which lasted very long .....West Ham restarting in 1964.... and running for another 10 years...... but are there ANY more recent examples of tracks once closed being re opened ? 

Great Yarmouth's Stadium is still in place and operating and is on the outskirts of the town...perhaps a resurgence?

57 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Great Yarmouth's Stadium is still in place and operating and is on the outskirts of the town...perhaps a resurgence?

Yarmouth and Brafield (Northampton) are both operated by Spedeworth I believe, who also run bangers out of Eastbourne, Ipswich and Mildenhall. Which means there is a working relationship at least potentially, and also surely opening a Speedway track in a venue that already hosts motorsport should make the noise complaints an easier hurdle to cross. 

Whether the venues would draw a sustainable crowd is another matter altogether.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Went there a few times in the 80's for stock cars (we had some hols up there). Narrow track, so it may take a bit of work. Of course, if they couldn't get it back when speedway was still "popular", I think it may be a struggle now...

In response to old Bob's question, there have been quite a few tracks that have reopened after being out of action for a while. Unfortunately, most have since been flattened. The ones that spring to mind since the mid-60's are the London quartet (Hackney, Wembley, White City, and Wimbledon), Plymouth (Pennycross), and Birmingham (Perry Barr).

Berwick (Shielfield Park), Newcastle (Brough Park), and Workington (Derwent Park) all reopened successfully, and although we don't know what will happen with the latter, it is still standing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Dunno what kind of fantasy world you're living in, Tony??? :rofl:

The world of common sense, Steve. Although I'm probably in the minority!