British Speedway Forum
keepturningleft

Meadowbank

29 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I went to Meadowbank v Stranraer football in 1985, as part of a Speedway tour.

You thought, "thistle be fun"? :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

You thought, "thistle be fun"? :rolleyes:

That was awful Chunky!

29 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

That was awful Chunky!

I try...

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 4:34 PM, HenryW said:

The stadium that you will have visited has now also been demolished, with a newer smaller one currently being constructed.

I don't believe the tribute to Craven is going into the new stadium, which is a shame. There was a suggestion a while back that it was going to the museum at paradise wildlife park.

I'm not sure whether that happened or not, though. 

I seem to recall that there was also a plaque dedicated to Alan Wells who used to train there prior to winning his 100m Gold Medal in 1980?

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I seem to recall that there was also a plaque dedicated to Alan Wells who used to train there prior to winning his 100m Gold Medal in 1980?

That’s correct.

• Like 1

Great Film this.

Takes me back to the 'good old days' of Speedway.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 12:52 AM, keepturningleft said:

Thanks very much for sharing. Lovely bit of film. There was a picture of Meadowbank packed to the rafters with the towering tenements in the background in the Speedway Star a few months ago too. Glorious image.

• Like 2

At 6.24, a young lad in the centre is wearing a visor remarkably similar to what many are wearing now in the corona virus crisis.

How come no-one thought of manufacturing those back in the day?

At tracks where receiving a faceful of shale was always likely, they would have sold like hotcakes!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

At 6.24, a young lad in the centre is wearing a visor remarkably similar to what many are wearing now in the corona virus crisis.

How come no-one thought of manufacturing those back in the day?

At tracks where receiving a faceful of shale was always likely, they would have sold like hotcakes!

Exeter and Romford spring to mind. The low concrete wall at Brooklands was a scary place to stand. As a child, i only did it once!

Passed the link on to Reg Fearman, he greatly enjoyed the film and has  passed it on to several other veterans of that era he is in touch with, Meadowbank was one of his most favourite tracks to race on. He is sure that the date of the meeting is 14 June 1952-which would explain why Jack Young is in civvies as he had moved to West Ham by then Apparently the full teams are shown on Speedway Researcher for that date. He recognised many of his old friends- Gordon McGregor, Bluey Scott, Bob Mark, Dick Campbell, Noel Watson , Don Cuppleditch for example. So again a big thanks to iris 123 for posting this great old film

• Like 1