British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bavarian

Time to send a GB/England touring team abroad?

Wouldn't September/October of 2020 be the perfect time to organise an outgoing tour for a Great Britain or England team to race on the Continent (France, Germany, Czech Republic)?

It would be a great opportunity for some of the currently inactive British riders to race and represent their national team and provide an attraction for some of the lesser speedeway nations here on the continent to ride against England/Great Britain. Could the BSPA / Speedway GB organise something similar to what they did earlier this year with the GB Team riding against Australia in Perth, W.A.?   

Edited by Bavarian
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bavarian said:

Wouldn't September/October of 2020 be the perfect time to organise an outgoing tour for a Great Britain or England team to race on the Continent (France, Germany, Czech Republic)?

It would be a great opportunity for some of the currently inactive British riders to race and represent their national team and provide an attraction for some of the lesser speedeway nations here on the continent to ride against England/Great Britain. Could the BSPA / Speedway GB organise something similar to what they did earlier this year with the GB Team riding against Australia in Perth, W.A.?   

Think this & next season are well out the window for obvious reasons 

Some British riders do come here on the weekends and race as individuals anyway, (they ride in Polish league speedway, in under-21 or under-16 Junior events, and in grass track) so why would this be any different?

It would open up opportunities for British riders, those who want to have a go on a tour with their national team. I can't see no harm in that. With no racing taking place in UK it would be the perfect time to sent a British team over to France or to the Czech Republic, if the other federations are willing and able to host them. There are far fewer restrictions on the Continent in some of the Central and Eastern European nations, were the Covid-19 infection rates are far lower than in the UK, and in most of those countries spectators are allowed to attend sports events.

Ask the British riders if they want such a tour to go ahead. If not, then forget it, but if they are fond of the idea, the BSPA & Speedway GB should try to make it happen. The unofficial Tests in Australia earlier this year proved to be very popular with the riders and the fans. Why stop there?

Edited by Bavarian

There always used to be touring teams going out to Aussie for a few months during their summer, I agree, GB could have (and still can) organise a touring team to take around Europe for the rest of the summer to get some much needed continental experience, in fact it's an ideal opportunity at the moment due to the lack of domestic league racing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, iainb said:

There always used to be touring teams going out to Aussie for a few months during their summer, I agree, GB could have (and still can) organise a touring team to take around Europe for the rest of the summer to get some much needed continental experience, in fact it's an ideal opportunity at the moment due to the lack of domestic league racing

The winter tours to Australia used to be beneficial in bringing riders on...Gordon Kennett came on a bundle when he was chosen to tour during the winter of 1975/76.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

It would be the perfect time to start a British franchise team to race in the Polish League.

Build a track like Eastbourne over there

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

It would be the perfect time to start a British franchise team to race in the Polish League.

I would far rather the SCB / BSPA concentrate on British affairs. Why should they be interested in Poland?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

What a ridiculous idea... is what I first thought when I saw this, but the more and more I think about it, it's the kind of genius, out of the box type of thinking that's needed.

1. Tai Woffinden

2. Robert Lambert

3. Craig Cook

4. Dan Bewley

5. Steve Worrall

6 Charles Wright

7 Adam Ellis

8 Richie Worrall

They'd see off Rybnik at least... quite who would turn up to watch them and who'd bank roll it I'm not quite sure. Sounds like the type of thing that the Danes would be thinking of.

It'll never happen of course :D

11 hours ago, topsoil said:

I would far rather the SCB / BSPA concentrate on British affairs. Why should they be interested in Poland?

Because Poland is where it's at and that is obviously the model to follow. I have in the past suggested that UK clubs should link up with Polish clubs to act as feeders for them, especially for when the juniors get too old to ride at 6 and 7 for them, they could quite easily fade into obscurity where if they were farmed out to British clubs, with a cash subsidy, they could gain experience on our tracks, they would be committed to turning up every week and our lads would have better opposition to race against... win win

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Because Poland is where it's at and that is obviously the model to follow. I have in the past suggested that UK clubs should link up with Polish clubs to act as feeders for them, especially for when the juniors get too old to ride at 6 and 7 for them, they could quite easily fade into obscurity where if they were farmed out to British clubs, with a cash subsidy, they could gain experience on our tracks, they would be committed to turning up every week and our lads would have better opposition to race against... win win

I hope they don't follow the Czestohowa model when it comes to track preparation. If British riders want to sign for Polish clubs, fine, let them, but why would you want to base a Polish 'franchise' in Britain and have the chance for more British riders and fans opt out of British speedway. If Polish speedway is 'where it's at' and you want involved, move to Poland. I would rather have the British riders and fans concentrate on supporting British clubs, trying to grow the product here.

I would also rather British clubs try and bring on British reserves, rather than import riders from abroad, even if they are subsidised. Look how it's worked out in the past.

They've been trying all that and it hasn't worked

• Like 1

No foreign teams allowed in the Ekstraliga. Why should the Poles want the have a British Club in their league anyway? Way to complicated to include one, and not really an attraction for the Polish fans, who love the traditional rivalries between their own clubs and fans.

Send a British touring team over there, allright, they could meet some of the Polish club teams in challenge matches, that would be good. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bavarian said:

No foreign teams allowed in the Ekstraliga. Why should the Poles want the have a British Club in their league anyway? Way to complicated to include one, and not really an attraction for the Polish fans, who love the traditional rivalries between their own clubs and fans.

Send a British touring team over there, allright, they could meet some of the Polish club teams in challenge matches, that would be good. 

No foreign teams in the Exstraliga, you sure about that or just opinion?