British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Wroclaw GP`s 1 and 2 Friday and Saturday 28th and 29th August

I'm just glad we've got some decent speedway to watch, thoroughly enjoyed last night's meeting and am hopeful of more of the same tonight.  Freddie did a great job of making us all feel like Nicki is still in the series.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Any format presents manipulation opportunity. In the old system, those who couldn't qualify for next year could help others, those safe for next year could help others. There's always room for manipulation if that's what you're open to. 

Nothing will be perfect. Formats should be geared to elimate or seriously hamper any potential corruption or manipulation. This new format makes it MORE likely. 

I am not citing unlikely scenarios either. 

We've all seen plenty of GPs where one rider is particularly "dialled in" that night.

On these occasions, the rider has every motivation to keep the pedal to the metal and grab every point they can to improve their World Championship standing. 

This won't be the case going forward with the new format. It doesn't take the biggest conspiracist to see a situation where that rider arrives at his last ride on 12 points, he will be much less incentivised to go all out. More likely, they will be checking their programmes and scores of their close rivals in the series and plotting what result would serve them best...Rather than going for a rewardless maximum.

The longer the series goes and the championship rivals and the qualification cut off contenders emerge, the more likely this scenario will play out. 

Edited by falcace

22 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

But it's new fans/ businesses they want, not all of us anoraks. 

The problem is us anoraks will quickly adapt to the scoring system - e.g. it wasn't that hard for me to work out the points last night, as much as I think the new system is daft.

It's the more general fans which won't understand the new points system e.g. how a rider can score 6 points in his races and yet end up with 8 Grand Prix points.  It's really weird, having two different sets of points, and throws speedway out of kilter from almost every other motorsport where points are scored per race.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

The problem is us anoraks will quickly adapt to the scoring system - e.g. it wasn't that hard for me to work out the points last night, as much as I think the new system is daft.

It's the more general fans which won't understand the new points system e.g. how a rider can score 6 points in his races and yet end up with 8 Grand Prix points.  It's really weird, having two different sets of points, and throws speedway out of kilter from almost every other motorsport where points are scored per race.

That's it, spot on. Thanks

9 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Personally i like the new points format and brings us in line with all the more  successful motor sports 

Probably want to get all 16 on track together in one or two very long races as well if the aim is to bring it in line with other motorsports.

That would probably be a crazy idea, though, as speedway is fairly unique...which is why having a unique scoring system makes sense as well.

38 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

But it's new fans/ businesses they want, not all of us anoraks. 

You have to be an anorak to understand the new points system... and I'm not talking about the final, the whole bloody lot!

19 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Personally i like the new points format and brings us in line with all the more  successful motor sports 

Perhaps we should be running 1 70 lap race then? To bring us in line

13 minutes ago, falcace said:

Nothing will be perfect. Formats should be geared to elimate or seriously hamper any potential corruption or manipulation. This new format makes it MORE likely. 

We've all seen plenty of GPs where one rider is particularly "dialled in" that night.

On these occasions, the rider has every motivation to keep the pedal to the metal and grab every point they can to improve their World Championship standing. 

This won't be the case going forward with the new format. It doesn't take the biggest conspiracist to see a situation where that rider arrives at his last ride on 12 points, he will be much less incentivised to go all out. More likely, they will be checking their programmes and scores of their close rivals in the series and plotting what result would serve them best...Rather than going for a rewardless maximum.

The longer the series goes and the championship rivals and the qualification cut off contenders emerge, the more likely this scenario will play out. 

I can't wait for the last GP when we're all waiting for some "anorak" feeding details into a spreadsheet to work out who has just become world champion, because somebody's finished level on points and rider x beat rider y in heat z but then rider a finished 2nd to rider b in heat c etc. etc.

Thankfully it'll all be over in 5 weeks and we won't be going on about it for 5 months like we could have been

Edited by iainb

10 minutes ago, iainb said:

You have to be an anorak to understand the new points system... and I'm not talking about the final, the whole bloody lot!

Perhaps we should be running 1 70 lap race then? To bring us in line

I can't wait for the last GP when we're all waiting for some "anorak" feeding details into a spreadsheet to work out who has just become world champion, because somebody's finished level on points and rider x beat rider y in heat z but then rider a finished 2nd to rider b in heat c etc. etc.

That would all be sorted before the S/F's anyway. ;)

And if two riders were level on Series points there would be a Race-Off for the title.

And I don't like the new system either.

Edited by Gambo

13 minutes ago, falcace said:

I don't think it makes it more likely in the slightest. Scoring more or less points in a race, if that's an option for you, has always been available. A scoring system makes no difference. Last year, who's to say Zmarzlik didn't offer incentives to others to defeat Madsen, or the other way around. If you want to manipulate the are always ways to do it.  

I think it's rarer than some think though. Team speedway in the UK always has conspiracy theorists over team scores, averages etc. Talking about a sport generates debate and interest which can actually attract media & viewers. 

2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

That would all be sorted before the S/F's anyway. ;).

It wasn't last night, not if what r&r says is anything to go by

What's all this talk about the Anlas tyres being banned tonight?

Seems that Bartek Zmarzlik has initiated an official protest, backed by eleven other GP riders plus two reserves, against the use of the Turkish product in the SGP series. Last night four riders rode the Anlas tyres. By the way, Anlas is an official sponsor and supplier of tyres for the SGP series, but in the last couple of years hardly any one of the GP riders used their product.

Last night, the winner Artem Lagutra, the runner up Maciej Janowski, as well as two Danes, Michelsen and Iversen, rode Anlas tyres, and the rest rode Mitas tyres. Now Zmarzlik has objected to teh use of Anlas tyres and claims that their product is not legal (too soft).    

Just now, iainb said:

It wasn't last night, not if what r&r says is anything to go by

The Spreadsheet used by the FIM had it sorted, as soon as heat 20 was finished.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gambo said:

The Spreadsheet used by the FIM had it sorted, as soon as heat 20 was finished.

What were they posting on TV and Twitter then?

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

I've no idea!

Edited by Gambo
  • Haha 1

Just now, Gambo said:

No idea!

lol :rofl:

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I've no idea!

I don't do Twitter, and I doubt that the Referee and Meeting Secretary were Twittering at the time.