British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Wroclaw GP`s 1 and 2 Friday and Saturday 28th and 29th August

22 hours ago, Grachan said:

I actually think the points are easier for non fans now.

The heats are qualifiers. Simple. The same as heats in the olympic athletics. Qualifiers. The fastest athletes don't even extert themselves if they are safely through.

Qualifiers. Semi finals. Final. Surely that is easier for the layman, who won't be filling out detailed scorecards and counting every point.

I never follow the heat scores in detail in the GPs, so the final points were easier for me to follow.

If that's the case, why bother awarding any points to those riders who finished in positions 9-16? Just give them all zero!

Re the points system. .

Should do a D Final, C Final, B Final and an A..

Keep it simple, top four to A Final, next four to B Final etc..

That way it rewards the best riders on the night for their performance v their counterparts, and the commentators can explain to those watching that each race counts to the riders final qualifying position..

25 to the winner, 20 to second, 18 and then 16 to the A Final riders

14, 13, 12, 11 to the next four..

9,8,7,6 to the next four

And 4,3,2,1 to the D Final riders..

Two points difference per final to reward those who qualify for the C, B and A Finals..

And a big points tally to the rider who wins a GP, (to reflect that hugh achievement)..

And the more GP wins a rider gets the more the likelihood he will win the World Title...

Which is how it should be..

And the rider who crosses the line first in the Final scores the most points, 

Which is what the FIM want..

It would also keep most riders in with a chance of either going "up" a Final or dropping "down" a Final going into their last rides, and therefore potentially meaning a big swing in their final points tally (eg first in a C Final or last in a D would be an eight points difference), so should make for some great racing..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

What I would like to see is the full result, quickly, at the end of the meeting, both for the meeting and cumulative with previous meetings.

Should not be hard to do. Whilst the last 3 races (2 semi and final) are taking place positions 9-16 can be determind, at the end of both semis position 5-8 determined, and the easy ones are position 1-4 right at the end of the final.  Within 5 minutes all this can be checked and added to previous rounds.  

That’s exactly what happens at the track, using the Kandysoft custom spreadsheet. The broadcaster produces the graphics using their own workings of the results, which is where any discrepancy arises.

Edited by NeilWatson
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Re the points system. .

That way it rewards the best riders on the night for their performance v their counterparts, and the commentators can explain to those watching that each race counts to the riders final qualifying position..

9,8,7,6 to the next four

Two points difference per final to reward those who qualify for the C, B and A Finals..

And a big points tally to the rider who wins a GP, (to reflect that hugh achievement)..

And the more GP wins a rider gets the more the likelihood he will win the World Title...

It would also keep most riders in with a chance of either going "up" a Final or dropping "down" a Final going into their last rides, and therefore potentially meaning a big swing in their final points tally (eg first in a C Final or last in a D would be an eight points difference), so should make for some great racing..

That is a very good idea and even with an extra race(24 instead of 23) it shouldn`t take any longer as you can have a grade after 20 heats while they sort out the placings and gate picks and then straight through with the 4 finals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Al said:

If that's the case, why bother awarding any points to those riders who finished in positions 9-16? Just give them all zero!

That had actually crossed my mind. Do 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. 

I guess it might discourage the lower riders too much, though. 

Edited by Grachan

49 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Re the points system. .

9,8,7,6 to the next four

Didn't they once do just that.

I remember Leigh Adams used to regularly refer to the final as the 'A' final in interviews long after they had changed it.

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

I reckon Laguna knew he was taking 3 before he got to the stand to actually pick. It’s all theatre, scratching head, reaching out and selecting a different one at the last second, pure theatre.

Think Laguta was fancying around the outside run on 1st bend,unfortunately he was really outgated by the inside men .

3 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Didn't they once do just that.

I remember Leigh Adams used to regularly refer to the final as the 'A' final in interviews long after they had changed it.

Think so. Was also used in the Ice Speedway GP series

Just now, Fromafar said:

Think Laguta was fancying around the outside run on 1st bend,unfortunately he was really outgated by the inside men .

Probably right, his gating let him down. However, having said that, he was a bit numb as to what to do next. Tai would have seen he couldn’t get round, plan B, cut up the inside. Laguta just stuck it out and lost out.

• Like 1

Just seen the result of the F1 GP, the top 6 finished in the same order as they started.  What a difference between boring F1 and Speedway GP which is packed with excitement.

4 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Just seen the result of the F1 GP, the top 6 finished in the same order as they started.  What a difference between boring F1 and Speedway GP which is packed with excitement.

Yes and all of the 100,000s of fans who pay good money to watch it must be mental. Just show them a speedway meeting and you wouldn't be able to build a stadium big enough to hold all the fans wanting to attend......or am I wrong here ?

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Yes and all of the 100,000s of fans who pay good money to watch it must be mental. Just show them a speedway meeting and you wouldn't be able to build a stadium big enough to hold all the fans wanting to attend......or am I wrong here ?

I reckon you wrong Iris, they so brain washed with the razz mataz they wouldn’t know what excitement is. Shame, all that money going into F1....... speedway would benefit with just a fraction of it.

1 minute ago, OveFundinFan said:

I reckon you wrong Iris, they so brain washed with the razz mataz they wouldn’t know what excitement is. Shame, all that money going into F1....... speedway would benefit with just a fraction of it.

Trouble is most people wouldn't touch motorbike racing with a barge pole. And even with the demise of barge poles, we haven't made any progress

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Trouble is most people wouldn't touch motorbike racing with a barge pole. And even with the demise of barge poles, we haven't made any progress

Maybe Speedway,but British Superbike and Moto GP’s have huge crowds nowadays(pre -Covid.)

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

Just now, Fromafar said:

Maybe Speedway,but British Superbike and Moto GP’s have huge crowds nowadays(per -Covid.

Fair enough. I must admit I have no interest in other forms of bike racing, since Barry Sheene retired