British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Wroclaw GP`s 1 and 2 Friday and Saturday 28th and 29th August

20 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Likewise, but staying at the University. £57.60 for two nights! :)

Ssshhh! ;)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, falcace said:

That's an interesting point and a valid example you raise.

The devil is in the detail of this and it would require deeper market research than our musings. My suspicion is that the Arenacross crowd is more of a casual motorsports/entertainment crowd and the speedway crowd are much more committed fans of the sport. So, would the speedway fans be interested in the back to back option unlike the more transient Arenacross crowd? I suspect so, but like you, I don't know. That's where the market research is required. 

Again, only my suspicions, but I think the majority of Speedway GP goers make a weekend of it. One final point, I think's it's a mistake to make assumptions that speedway fans are similar to other motorsports fans. I think there is quite a distinction, with a lot of speedway fans (I'd suggest the majority) having little or no interest in other motorsport, so findings from wider motorsport are not always applicable to speedway.

So, I think you are right that back to back GPs shouldn't be implemented blindly from 2021, but nor should the idea be dismissed. Worth looking into though :) 

I would say the Arenacross is a bit like Cardiff where you have your hardcore fans and the people going for an enjoyable night out, I wouldn’t be surprised if the splits about 50/50. Most people I know that go to Cardiff it is there only speedway meeting that year and I doubt very much they would want to go two days running.

However, if you had a GP at Belle Vue two days running I am sure it would sell out both days so maybe it could work at different stadiums.

Speedway doesn’t really sit well with fans from other motorsports which does surprise me as it’s a damn site more entertaining than formula one.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 12:22 PM, Tim G said:

Speedway doesn’t really sit well with fans from other motorsports which does surprise me as it’s a damn site more entertaining than formula one.

That's the problem. It's easy for speedway fans to dismiss other sports, but there has to be a reason why nearly everything is more popular than speedway...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, chunky said:

That's the problem. It's easy for speedway fans to dismiss other sports, but there has to be a reason why nearly everything is is more popular than speedway...

Rules, team formats, guests, double uppers.

Just a simple sport, really!

15 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Rules, team formats, guests, double uppers.

Just a simple sport, really!

Really needs to be run by an outside body not promoters .that would be good for a start 

34 minutes ago, chunky said:

That's the problem. It's easy for speedway fans to dismiss other sports, but there has to be a reason why nearly everything is is more popular than speedway...

Very true, but many other forms of motorsport interest me but the ones that take the piss out of me for watching speedway are F1 fans!!

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Marketing, promotion, presentation. And, at some UK tracks, the content.

The GPs and Speedway in Poland tend to have the above largely right, and as a result get decent crowds. 

22 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

Marketing, promotion, presentation. And, at some UK tracks, the content.

The GPs and Speedway in Poland tend to have the above largely right, and as a result get decent crowds. 

I agree with you 100%, and my comment was completely rhetorical! I just get tired of speedway fans slamming other sports - and far more popular and successful sports - simply because they don't like it...

8 minutes ago, chunky said:

I agree with you 100%, and my comment was completely rhetorical! I just get tired of speedway fans slamming other sports - and far more popular and successful sports - simply because they don't like it...

So because something is more popular and successful nobody can make a remark about it because a sport I enjoy unfortunately is not anymore.

11 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Those calling for the double headers to continue when the crowds hopefully return, just imagine the hotel costs for Cardiff weekend?? 

Yep, the moaning would proper kick off. 

Was expecting hotels to cost an arm and a leg for 2021 as the date was known well before you could book hotels, but was very surprised and pleased to get premier Inn in city centre for £129 for 2 nites !! Mind I did stay up until early hours the nite hotels were released:D

1 hour ago, Tim G said:

So because something is more popular and successful nobody can make a remark about it because a sport I enjoy unfortunately is not anymore.

Again, that was not directed at YOU. It's that this forum gets flooded with people slamming other sports, and just because you - and others - don't like or appreciate something doesn't mean that it IS boring, stupid, or whatever.

4 hours ago, Tim G said:

Very true, but many other forms of motorsport interest me but the ones that take the piss out of me for watching speedway are F1 fans!!

Yesterday wasn't the greatest race, but I still love to watch F1.

3 hours ago, chunky said:

Again, that was not directed at YOU. It's that this forum gets flooded with people slamming other sports, and just because you - and others - don't like or appreciate something doesn't mean that it IS boring, stupid, or whatever.

Fair enough, sorry I took it the wrong way.

15 hours ago, Tim G said:

Only in Speedway could you score 10 points and come away with 16 points one night and then the next night score 11 points but come away with 14 points... try and get your head round that if you're a non speedway fan

Then if you were to attend a league meeting and the teams draw, one team comes away with 1 league point and the other team goes away with 2 league points... for a draw!!

Edited by iainb

22 minutes ago, iainb said:

Only in Speedway could you score 10 points and come away with 16 points one night and then the next night score 11 points but come away with 14 points... try and get your head round that if you're a non speedway fan

Then if you were to attend a league meeting and the teams draw, one team comes away with 1 league point and the other team goes away with 2 league points... for a draw!!

It's easy. Look up what the word "heats" means.

When I was at school, heats were always qualifying races and at first, when taken to speedway as a kid, I couldn't work out why speedway races in matches were called "heats" as they weren't qualifying for anything.

To check this wasn't just my own imagination, I googled the word "heat" :

It means: "a preliminary round in a race or contest"

So I looked up Preliminary and it means: "preceding or done in preparation for something fuller or more important".

So there you go. If you need to explain it to a non-speedway fan tell them that.