British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Wroclaw GP`s 1 and 2 Friday and Saturday 28th and 29th August

21 minutes ago, Lioness said:

I think I must be the only person to have fallen out of love with F1!  I am very much in a minority though.  If there is one thing that most other sports can learn from F1 it is what a difference you can make with a good marketing strategy, good promotion, and making it appeal to the younger masses and the media

Nah, there are plenty of others - particularly on the BSF! No, it's not what it used to be, but neither is speedway, or any other sport.

There are different reasons why people watch/follow speedway (the racing, following a team, watching top riders, the bikes etc), and F1 is the same. What intrigues me is tyre wear, how different teams and drivers get their tyres to react differently, and who can handle them better. This season, it would be a lot better if Ferrari were competitive, but it's fun waiting to see if Vettel does anything stupid!

1 hour ago, Lioness said:

I think I must be the only person to have fallen out of love with F1!  I am very much in a minority though.  If there is one thing that most other sports can learn from F1 it is what a difference you can make with a good marketing strategy, good promotion, and making it appeal to the younger masses and the media

Its turned into the Hamilton roadshow.

2 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Its turned into the Hamilton roadshow.

Largely because of an inept Ferrari team...

10 hours ago, iainb said:

Are there any other sports that abandon any points scored throughout an event and then allocate a different set of points based on the abandoned points?

Darts.

Our US National Championship qualifiers are all played over a round-robin format, with each match being three legs (all legs counting). The individual legs totals decide who advance. Even some of those who didn't advance are eligible for ranking points, depending on finishing position. Ranking points reflect finishing position rather than legs one.

Everybody seems to understand that...

Again, as others have stated, individual heats can be regarded as preliminary events.

Like the situation with darts above, GP race points are used to establish position, and not to reflect GP (ranking) points.

23 hours ago, iainb said:

I think my general point is, if you have to sit a new fan down with a dictionary, there's something drastically wrong

Actually, I think you will find that the opposite is true. New fans will have no pre-conceived notion or prejudice as to what the qualifying system should be, what it used to be, or what people want it to be.

All you have to do is say that it is a 16-man round-robin, with race points deciding finishing positions within the round-robin. The Top 8 finishers advance to the semi-finals. At the end, a set number of points are awarded to everyone according to final position.

Edited by chunky

12 hours ago, chunky said:

Aactually

Do you want my dictionary? :rofl:

16 hours ago, chunky said:

.....but it's fun waiting to see if Vettel does anything stupid!

When, not if. B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can anyone explain this new points system? Why did Vaculik score less than Zagar when they both finished on 4 points in round 2, for instance? What determined Zagar's ranking above Vaculik?

49 minutes ago, June01 said:

Can anyone explain this new points system? Why did Vaculik score less than Zagar when they both finished on 4 points in round 2, for instance? What determined Zagar's ranking above Vaculik?

I most certainly can- after 20 heats all the riders are ranked in order from 1 to 16. These are determined by points scored. If scores are level it goes to 1st, 2nd 3rds and 4ths( a last beats an exclusion or ef) If they can`t be split by this method it goes to who beat who. this method is also used to give the points in the semi`s 3rds and 4ths- the highest ranking rider after heat 20 gets the point more- ie 12 against 11 for 3rds and 10 against 9 for 4ths.

As far as Zagar and Vaculik - they had same scoring record so Zagar beating Vaculik in heat 16 split them.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1