British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Wroclaw GP`s 1 and 2 Friday and Saturday 28th and 29th August

16 minutes ago, iainb said:

I watch the GP's to try and relax... not as a brain trainer lol

So the points you score in the qualifiers determine how many GP points you get in the Semi's, positions 5th to 8th... but not in the Final 1st to 4th

I'll watch tonight's with an Excel spreadsheet open on my laptop :drink:

No

3rd in the semi-finals gains 12 or 11 GP points, 4th 10 or 9 GP points, determined by the rider's placing after Ht 20.

Using no names as an example, just a scenario.Someone gets to the semi’s with 7 points another one gets there with 15. 15 man wins his semi, 7 man gets second. In the final. 7 man (now 9 on the night) wins and gets 20 points whilst 15 man (now 18) misses the gate, finishes last and goes home with 14 points!!
Now on what universal planet are the MORONS who think this is a good idea or fair, living on?!....
Speedway is often seen as a joke these days (especially when it comes to British speedway) but the GP’s did use to come across as professional and fair (on the whole) but this farcical change just makes a mockery of the sports elite event.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ray c said:

yes agree except the rider who finished 4 in the final only got the same as the semi -final riders which was the only thing that needed to be changed ?

No

4th in the final gains 14 GP points, semi-final riders gain 12,11, 10 0r 9

1 minute ago, NeilWatson said:

No

3rd in the semi-finals gains 12 or 11 GP points, 4th 10 or 9 GP points, determined by the rider's placing after Ht 20.

Not aimed at you... but I've kind of lost interest already, which is my general point. Why is it so damn complicated?

1 minute ago, ytsejam said:

Using no names as an example, just a scenario.Someone gets to the semi’s with 7 points another one gets there with 15. 15 man wins his semi, 7 man gets second. In the final. 7 man (now 9 on the night) wins and gets 20 points whilst 15 man (now 18) misses the gate, finishes last and goes home with 14 points!!
Now on what universal planet are the MORONS who think this is a good idea or fair, living on?!....
Speedway is often seen as a joke these days (especially when it comes to British speedway) but the GP’s did use to come across as professional and fair (on the whole) but this farcical change just makes a mockery of the sports elite event.

... a bit like getting 2 points in a league meeting for "drawing" away from home!

Just now, ytsejam said:

In a way it's no different to most individual meetings in the UK - the leader after 20 races still has to negotiate a grand final to be the winner.

• Like 1

Just now, NeilWatson said:

In a way it's no different to most individual meetings in the UK - the leader after 20 races still has to negotiate a grand final to be the winner.

Uhmm...yes...but you said it yourself ....an INDIVIDUAL meeting!!....

If the GP World champion was decided on one night like it used to be, then this system would probably be the best way, but it’s not.
The previous system, if not totally perfect, was not broken, so why break it into a million pieces and just randomly put it back together again which is what it seems the lunatics who are running the asylum have done!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ytsejam said:

Uhmm...yes...but you said it yourself ....an INDIVIDUAL meeting!!....

If the GP World champion was decided on one night like it used to be, then this system would probably be the best way, but it’s not.
The previous system, if not totally perfect, was not broken, so why break it into a million pieces and just randomly put it back together again which is what it seems the lunatics who are running the asylum have done!

I think the only way this points system works is if it's used in the old style "knock-out" system, when riders progressed through the meeting by coming 1st or 2nd, 2 3rd or 4th's and you were gone, anything other than that and you need to be using standard cumulative 3,2,1,0 and maybe double points for a final appearance

If it not broke don't fix it. The scoring system as it was wasn't broken.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NeilWatson said:

No offence Neil, but the big difference is that those meetings aren't part of a series. 

I'm at a loss as to why they changed the system. We heard last night that they want competitors to keep pushing throughout the meeting, to make every race matter. Well every race did matter under the old system, not just for the one meeting, but right until the last race of the series. If you've got a reasonable score during the qualifying races now, the only thing you're racing for is gate choice. This can be critical but not always (last night for example). I, for one, never had a problem with the GP winner not necessarily being the top scorer. The meeting final and the points scored counted for different things. And you could easily work out each competitors meeting and year to date series score as I was doing race by race during the meeting in Torun last October.
As others have said, if you really wanted to achieve an improved solution (?), simply increase the points awarded in the final (and maybe even in the semis as well).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My 2p's worth; preferred the old scoring but would have doubled the points in the final with 4th finisher getting a point as reward reaching the final as small reward for progresing further than 3rd & 4th in both semis.  Moot point now though, it is what it is....

Iainb, excellent feedback from U, will post it to Armando ...

• Haha 1

I understand what Bellamy was saying though last night. Under the old system there was no pressure on the final for the highest scoring riders. I wasn't a fan before last night of the scoring. After though I didn't mind and actually added a bit more enjoyment. Zmarzlik, Madsen & Emil getting knocked out was good viewing & Freddie scraping through on 7 & bagging 16 points was great. It's about dealing with pressure and the 3 of them didn't. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I understand what Bellamy was saying though last night. Under the old system there was no pressure on the final for the highest scoring riders. I wasn't a fan before last night of the scoring. After though I didn't mind and actually added a bit more enjoyment. Zmarzlik, Madsen & Emil getting knocked out was good viewing & Freddie scraping through on 7 & bagging 16 points was great. It's about dealing with pressure and the 3 of them didn't. 

But that’s pure spin- there was pressure - winning and getting 3 more points added. Same for all 4 riders

• Thanks 1