British Speedway Forum
H20

Torun GP 2nd - 3rd October

imo iversen, dudek, michelsen and lindback shouldn't get a pick. Fricke needs to score well in Torun to stand a chance of a pick. Gregory Laguta would be a good addition but I am not sure they give 3 Russians a pick.

• Like 2

I reckon they'll go top 9 plus the 4 already qualified and 2 new faces

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bruno said:

I reckon they'll go top 9 plus the 4 already qualified and 2 new faces

Agree that with the way the top 9 have pulled away that they will be in. Would have thought that with the politics that go on that a Dane Michelson /Thomson and a Aussie Fricke /J Holder will make the 15. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eric i said:

imo iversen, dudek, michelsen and lindback shouldn't get a pick. Fricke needs to score well in Torun to stand a chance of a pick. Gregory Laguta would be a good addition but I am not sure they give 3 Russians a pick.

Agree regarding Iversen and Lindback . Dudek and Michelsen are relatively young And probably deserve still to be there on general form in leagues.Like has been stated there is aTop 5/6 that are probably the title contenders the rest just now are making up the numbers.Most of the other other youngsters up and coming are Poles.Holder,Lidsey and Fricke probably deserve a chance.

Agree with GP Challenge Final being held after last GP with some riders at the lower end of series involved.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Agree regarding Iversen and Lindback . Dudek and Michelsen are relatively young And probably deserve still to be there on general form in leagues.Like has been stated there is aTop 5/6 that are probably the title contenders the rest just now are making up the numbers.Most of the other other youngsters up and coming are Poles.Holder,Lidsey and Fricke probably deserve a chance.

Agree with GP Challenge Final being held after last GP with some riders at the lower end of series involved.

Agree with all that. Thing is, even though there seems to be 5 or 6 main contenders, it doesn't mean that some of the others aren't worthy of a place; they are generally still the "best of the rest". Again, people want new blood, but by riders like Iversen and Zagar qualifying, it proves that the "new blood" isn't good enough - yet.

I think Dudek, Michelsen, and Fricke all deserve another crack.

There seems to be a growing "conflict" between those that "deserve" to be in the GP series and those that are chosen to be in it. 

Those that deserve a place via their finishing position in the series has been reduced from 8 to 6. Thus, those that can "qualify" via other means has therefore increased.
The winner of the European Championship is one way most would support (maybe?). We, in the UK, might be a little biased just now.
The timing and allowable entries into the Challenge has been widely criticised and I for one find it a little bemusing watching a competitor in the current championship who could score zero races points in all 8 GPs but still knows that he quaifies for next year's championship. And at the same time, we rip up a perfectly good scoring system because we dislike the fact that a GP winner may not be the top championship scorer on the night. A strange set of inconsistent standards in my view.

And then we have the national political view. I'm not talking about politics in the normal sense. Rather I refer to the "need" to have a balanced set of different nationalities in the series. This is admiral in one sense, in that the governing body wish to make this a world series. But we've seen how wildcards have been awarded in the past which are hardly justified from a sporting standpoint but seemily based on ensuring a good attendance at certain GPs.

We have to take stock.
The GP series has completely supplanted the old one off World Final. The purists can continue to debate the point, but that ship has sailed.
There is a political element to who participates in the championship.
Some countries (actually one) dominates the sporting panorama just now [temporary].
TV is a big influence.

But surely, the concept of fairness has to ultimately rule? We, as fans, many of us for a lot of years, can see a sporting unfairness when we see it. Surely, what we want, without necessarily know how to get it, is to have the best in the World competing for the ultimate goal? 

• Like 1

I have 2 free tickets for Saturday Torun as we have decided not to go. row 1 sector 0 great seats

Although I've no complaints about Jack Holder getting the Wildcard I'm a little disappointed the already qualified SEC winner Robert Lambert hasn't had a shout for any of these rounds. 

• Like 2

I hope those who go to Poland get into the stadium.     Is there any more news about the GP's being over sold ?

If Lindback isn't given a wild-card for next year's series, that means all 16 riders will be white.

Who is actually responsible for the lack of diversity in speedway? Is it the BSI or FIM?

Edited by KeirStarmerFan
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

If Lindback isn't given a wild-card for next year's series, that means all 16 riders will be white.

Who is actually responsible for the lack of diversity in speedway? Is it the BSI or FIM?

That is your best troll post so far.  Hilarious :D       

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

I hope those who go to Poland get into the stadium.     Is there any more news about the GP's being over sold ?

We finally got a refund from Toruń today, bsi were worse than useless 

IMO no Russians should be in the series with what Mr. Putin was up to in Salisbury, and with what poor Mr, Alexei Navalny has gone through. Just as with athletics a stand, however feeble it may be, is called for. You shouldn't be able to go around the world poisoning people and expect to get away with it. Sorry for the Russian riders if it happened but only the Russian people can realistically have any effect on this lunatic.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, bill94d said:

IMO no Russians should be in the series with what Mr. Putin was up to in Salisbury, and with what poor Mr, Alexei Navalny has gone through. Just as with athletics a stand, however feeble it may be, is called for. You shouldn't be able to go around the world poisoning people and expect to get away with it. Sorry for the Russian riders if it happened but only the Russian people can realistically have any effect on this lunatic.

Can you send that to Boris and ask him to take the peerage off Putins right hand man in London, maybe Boris would like to pay back millions of bung money too.

Far easier and more relevant targets than Speedway Riders who have done nothing wrong when corrupt UK politicians are up to their neck in dirty Russian money.

Wonder if The Cabinet have Anlas tyres on their company limos??

1 hour ago, bill94d said:

Haha, like Putin would care about that whatsoever.