British Speedway Forum
H20

Torun GP 2nd - 3rd October

11 minutes ago, PolskiZuzel said:

I would suggest that in 2021 at least six rounds of the SGP should be staged by Poole's Pirates

Perhaps then Steve Shovlar would have his way...and began commenting here with some sense .

FlyingPig.jpg?format=750w

Edited by nw42
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Clemens said:

I think Tai just realised if he'd pulled his finger out from the word go he could have won it 

That's another title that's slipped away from him 

You mean under this system. Let's face he would never get a better chance and yet he was still a poor second to the young Pole. If it were under last years system he would have been miles behind.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tyler42 said:

You mean under this system. Let's face he would never get a better chance and yet he was still a poor second to the young Pole. If it were under last years system he would have been miles behind.

That's the point 'Let's face he would never get a better chance and yet he was still a poor second''

I think he realised belatedly that he missed a golden opportunity and I do believe he will drift further away from it as time goes by

And by the same token I think that Bartoz, and the people around him, understand the situation with the opposition and realise he could win 4 or 5 titles on the trot thereby adding credence to the plaudit of 'greatest rider of all time.' It's easy done as old Brucie used to say 'if you play your cards right'. I think he will make the great attempt to do so.

Edited by Mr. Clemens
  • Like 2

I think you're right, but there is no great influx of young new riders coming in. Yes we have Robert Lambert, but then we Kasper and Zagar!

Bartoz could go on and win a few more. Woffy has the experience but does he have the desire? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tyler42 said:

I think you're right, but there is no great influx of young new riders coming in. Yes we have Robert Lambert, but then we Kasper and Zagar!

Bartoz could go on and win a few more. Woffy has the experience but does he have the desire? 

Marcus Birkemose is a generational talent. In a couple of years, he could be better than Zmarzlik.

Edited by KeirStarmerFan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

That’s not a proper reply. We all want a good GP series but this year has stunk. There has been some good heats but outweighed by tons of utter rubbish.

2020 will not view viewed as a classic series by any stretch. Awful.

I think we have been lucky to have seen some fantastic racing this year. Look at heat two tonight. Out of this world and there were plenty more. I thought the whole think has jumped up a notch or two this season. Especially the top end of the field.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For someone who watches his speedway at Poole every week. Mr Shovlar has a strange outlook on what is good and bad racing. I would have thought any racing would look good compared to the utter crap that that is served up at Wimborne road on a regular basis. Even the home riders in the past have a good moan in public about it!!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

GREAT for TV viewers but expensive for promoters relying on a crowd. 

I think without the dreaded king flu Toruń would of sold out both nights and so would Wroclaw, if they proved cardiff better think they would get the same crowd for both nights 

I'm Polish, but the Polish domination of the sport doesn't really seem healthy. Unfortunately, there are a lot of selfish "patriots" amongst those managing Polish speedway on organisational level that some ideas promoting foreign riders can't really pass with them steering it. They didn't let Latvians into Extraleague. They won't agree for one U21 rider to be a foreigner. Polish clubs like Sparta Wroclaw act really selfish marrying Chugunow to a Polish wife so he can get nationalized. That rid Russians of probable medal at U21 World Championship yesterday.

This year is kinda weird, because Poland was actually one of the few stable European countries during post-lockdown phase of the pandemic, where you could host events comfortably on the regular with crowd attending (with some minor exceptions). But I'm really afraid that it's a step towards shrinking of the sport.

Not sure what the future brings. Something really needs to be done before speedway becomes a travelling circus like F1. Also, I saw Speedway in Britain doesn't really attract younger crowds, why is that?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

GREAT for TV viewers but expensive for promoters relying on a crowd. 

Risky for the riders too...

7 hours ago, iwright71 said:

Before last night Fricke was in 10th  place, 20 points adrift of 9th. Didn't hear anyone on here clamoring for him to be a wild card  then !  I suppose we can all call it after the event, dito Phil Rising talking up Australia for the SON after wins for Lidsey and Fricke last night !

He has improved over the course of the series, that is undeniable. That is what my post was saying, not being an after timer suggesting he should have a wildcard because of one meeting. I still believe that to be the case despite him struggling on night two in Toruń. I’d rather see Fricke in than Lindback or NKI who have had plenty of chances for example. 

2 hours ago, chunky said:

You sound like me - fraud... :cheers:

No, I think you sound like me. Which just goes to show what a fraud you are. :D

35 minutes ago, norbold said:

No, I think you sound like me. Which just goes to show what a fraud you are. :D

Ah, that's what it is! Sorry... :blush:

10 hours ago, norbold said:

Of course, from 1936-1994, 100% of the rounds were held in one country!

I’d have preferred a one off meeting/event this year, said as much in the spring. 

10 hours ago, chunky said:

When we demanded the World Final at Wembley every year, was that any different? Other than the fact that we weren't good enough to win on home soil? B)

No different. Wouldn’t have agreed with that either if I’d been born / old enough!

Have to agree with others, take out Prague and there has been some decent racing. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I think without the dreaded king flu Toruń would of sold out both nights and so would Wroclaw, if they proved cardiff better think they would get the same crowd for both nights 

DIFFERENT in Poland because the bulk of the crowd are relatively local... easy journey, no overnight accommodation, etc.

Would Warsaw sell out twice, would Cardiff get 40,000 on successive nights

Two nights in Manila, Vojens, Teterow?