British Speedway Forum
H20

Torun GP 2nd - 3rd October

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I’d have preferred a one off meeting/event this year, said as much in the spring. 

No different. Wouldn’t have agreed with that either if I’d been born / old enough!

Have to agree with others, take out Prague and there has been some decent racing. 

I d have preferred a one off meeting also based on the old way of just 20 heats 

with the present crop of riders it would be tough to pick a winner , every race would be a pressure race they would have to approach it totally differently knowing a couple of bad rides and you're chances are gone . There would in my opinion be more chance of a run off for the title now that's pressure.     

Well done Zmarzlik - thoroughly deserved and clearly the world's best rider at the moment. 

Well done BSI. In a year where the international sporting calendar has been ravaged, they pulled together an excellent series in difficult circumstances. 

Finally, happy 25th anniversary. To those STILL banging on about a return to one-off World Finals. Here's to 25 more! 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Ben91 said:

He has improved over the course of the series, that is undeniable. That is what my post was saying, not being an after timer suggesting he should have a wildcard because of one meeting. I still believe that to be the case despite him struggling on night two in Toruń. I’d rather see Fricke in than Lindback or NKI who have had plenty of chances for example. 

While I tend to agree with you to be fair NKI did qualify for this years series by right from the 2019 GP Challenge as did Zagar and Fricke. The real strange decision was to offer Lindback a wild card slot and it not to have been offered to Aspgren. Like I've said elsewhere I'd like to see Loktaev in, blew it in this years challenge and was only 1 point adrift of possible qualification in 2019

2 hours ago, r8gdp said:

I d have preferred a one off meeting also based on the old way of just 20 heats 

with the present crop of riders it would be tough to pick a winner , every race would be a pressure race they would have to approach it totally differently knowing a couple of bad rides and you're chances are gone . There would in my opinion be more chance of a run off for the title now that's pressure.     

BSI needed eight meetings to fulfil television contracts...

Well done to Bartosz deserved World Champion ,gives it 100%,I’m a Janowski fan think he is the class act for style and speed ,but can only be one Champ.Bartosz was hard on him in final but that is what makes a Champ.Felt a lot of rider layed it down tonight looking for re-runs.

• Like 1

Can see the pros and cons of Wild cards , a top form rider or World champion gets injured half way through the series and does not have enough points to qualify for the next year.

On the other hand six qualify by right then the next four  in line also get picked? 

So you saying only top 6 qualify, plus Sec champ, plus 3 challenge, so you want 5 fresh ones every year. You, and other wishful pickers, could well be in tears. Is there really 5 others each and every year good enough to come into the GP.? Who , for instance would you put in next year, 5 of them, that would be more then also rans.??? Who, outside of the GP’s this year have been lighting up the track week after week?.?

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

So you saying only top 6 qualify, plus Sec champ, plus 3 challenge, so you want 5 fresh ones every year. You, and other wishful pickers, could well be in tears. Is there really 5 others each and every year good enough to come into the GP.? Who , for instance would you put in next year, 5 of them, that would be more then also rans.??? Who, outside of the GP’s this year have been lighting up the track week after week?.?

Lets go back to top 8 qualify then. Just a change for change sake as usual which hasn't worked. As per the scoring system, bin that as well. Summed it up last night after heat 2 when Pearson said you're going to have to wait a couple of hours  before we have any idea how the World Championship will start to look.

Edited by iwright71
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, iwright71 said:

Lets go back to top 8 qualify then. Just a change for change sake as usual which hasn't worked. As per the scoring system, bin that as well. Summed it up last night after heat 2 when Pearson said you're going to have to wait a couple of hours  before we have any idea how the World Championship will start to look.

Top 6 has only been done one year, hardly a fair test. What if no 7 and 8 had been rubbish this year, you would be stuck with them. Top 6 gives loads of flexibility if needed, why tie your hands so no movement. 
Pearson doesnt always say what he is thinking, you should have known at the start of Torun last night what the situation was, and then follow through who may or may not get in the semis, and once the semis were going on you can work out who is in with a chance.                                
I thought it was close and exciting all night, was Zmarzlik going to get in the semis, if he didn’t it would have been wide open. Then would he get to the final seeing as he was on gate 4 in the semi. Woffinden going out in the final, Zmarzlik getting in, then Freddy only needed top 3 in the final to be 2nd in the world, drama at the start with Freddie’s bike giving up.   If you didn’t find all that exciting then I am lost for words. 

No surprises - Laguta, Sayfutdinov, Vaculik, Fricke & Thomsen confirmed.

I had a sneaky feeling that Nicki P would be back - shows what I know!

20 hours ago, mikebv said:

Tai talking about himself in the third person there..

Oh dear..

Edit: mikebv wonders why Tai does this..

That's because he is so full of himself and his own importance! Always has been. Ridiculous that someone who has won as few actual races as he has this year, finishes second in the championship! Just another example of how ridiculous the new scoring system is.

Well done Bartosz, truly deserved winner of the GP series, head and shoulders above anyone else at the moment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ytsejam said:

That's because he is so full of himself and his own importance! Always has been. Ridiculous that someone who has won as few actual races as he has this year, finishes second in the championship! Just another example of how ridiculous the new scoring system is.

Tai would have finished 2nd under the previous scoring system as well, so what would you propose?

• Like 2

there didn't look a lot of love between Freddie,Tai and Bartosz on the rostrum on Saturday, is there history between them?

As been said before on here, variety is needed some double weekends on the same track or close by(Torun and Bydgoszcz) and then some single weekends.What do people think the maximum events over the season. 16  ?