British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Gorzow GP`s Round 3 and 4 Friday and Saturday 11th and 12th September

33 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

All 16 riders riding tonight ride in Extraleague in Poland.:rolleyes:

Anyway, the only one in any danger of choking here is Shov - bitterness can be hard to swallow sometimes!

8 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Vaculik has been very disappointing for me,considering how he started the season.

He was looking okay tonight, and then he tailed off.

Damage limitation for Tai, nearer the top than before the meeting.

That final was something else though. Not the best GP, but not the worst, roll on tonight's meeting.

29 minutes ago, OGT said:

Damage limitation for Tai, nearer the top than before the meeting.

That final was something else though. Not the best GP, but not the worst, roll on tonight's meeting.

Doyle proved he can still do it. That's the thing, while people still think it's all about Zmarzlik, on their day, there are a bunch of riders who are proving that they can ride at that level - and that's only over three meetings so far!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chunky said:

Doyle proved he can still do it. That's the thing, while people still think it's all about Zmarzlik, on their day, there are a bunch of riders who are proving that they can ride at that level - and that's only over three meetings so far!

All credit to Doyle for finding the setup as the night went on, but I still feel that the scoring system is....ermm....5hit.

12 race points, 1 race win during the night, but goes home with 18 GP series points....

I realise that the points system is known to all, but it just seems so inferior to recent seasons...I want to watch a meeting where every point counts and every rider is fighting for every point.
Tonight we saw a perfect example of where that maybe isn't happening now...Zmarzlik v Woffinden in heat 19. 
In that race we saw 2 potential title contenders going head to head...Zmarzlik knew that the result was irrelevant to him. He made some effort to put pressure on Woffinden, but he certainly didn't take any risks. Would he have had the same attitude with the scoring system last year? Who knows...Maybe he would have taken more risks for that extra point or maybe he still would have raced safe for 2 points there. I don't know, but I know I watched that race with no excitement because I knew that it meant nothing to Zmarzlik or the World Championship, something that I couldn't have said last year....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Most of us agree about the points system, but we can't keep bleating about it every day. We knew what it was beforehand, so it shouldn't have been any surprise when it started throwing up these anomalies.

I'm not sure whether speedway is actually unique in the way we allocate actual race points, and then carry them over to the next stage (semis and final) like we used to.

The thing to remember is that the new system tends to fall in line with most other sports; the 20 heats are just used as a system to qualify riders for the semi-finals. The same as qualifying heats in athletic events, or qualifying groups for football events such as World Cup or Champions League. Once you have qualified for the next stage, what you did previously - in order to get there - doesn't matter.

Oh wait, isn't that what used to happen in the good old days of the World Final? Everybody was okay with riders scraping through the qualifying rounds, and then having a couple of good races and ending up as World Champion! In fact, we apparently loved the "unpredictability" of the system, but not so much now...

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Vaculik has been very disappointing for me,considering how he started the season.

9 hours ago, chunky said:

He was looking okay tonight, and then he tailed off.

Vaculik has been the big loser so far with the new points scoring and is at -4... the reason for this is because I had an e/w bet on him :D

• Haha 1

The more I see, the more at ease I am with the new points system. I wouldn’t say I’m for it or against it, it is what it is. 

I don’t think it has diminished the on track action one bit. It changes the dynamic a little perhaps but it is still in a rider’s best interest to finish as high up the score chart as possible to secure the best gates for the semi-finals. It also places more emphasis on winning the meeting, which there should be.

There was some good racing last night, Doyley coming good was enjoyable to see after a rough start to the GP series too. I’m enjoying two GPs back to back as well. 

• Like 2

I'm a fan of the scoring system, adds unpredictability, something needed now most of the tracks are fastest bike wins. Scoring allows for an underdog to a great result. 

7 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I'm a fan of the scoring system, adds unpredictability, something needed now most of the tracks are fastest bike wins. Scoring allows for an underdog to a great result. 

Yes but once a rider is into the semis he doesn't have to try to win races. I'm surprised that Smarzlik and Woffinden went at it the way they did towards the end of the meeting prior to the semis.

happy with new format.

track last night was poorly prepared and not conducive to top quality racing..... definitely racing out of the bottom drawer to paraphrase Kelvin

Any news on Dudek?

I thought the racing was like much of the Extraleague - a lot of races were clear cut but with some real excitement and racing at other times, depending on how good the last grading had been. 

6 minutes ago, glenantony said:

Any news on Dudek?

I thought the racing was like much of the Extraleague - a lot of races were clear cut but with some real excitement and racing at other times, depending on how good the last grading had been. 

He’s going to give it a go