British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

20 minutes ago, salty said:

As a Wolves fan and one who has the highest admiration for Coady, I'd agree that he's not good enough for a back four. However, if we're going with a back 3/5 then he's ideal for the central role. 

To answer ch958. His face fits.

and the right accent, looks good in a blazer. Typical old fart FA decision

2 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Okay.. if we're being exact he's played 13 in midfield and 8 at CB in the league. Point still stands that it's a joke to take 10 defenders when you have him and Saka as well

That’s better - some facts ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Southgate picks all 4 RB's for the final squad :rofl:

Ramsdale, White, Godfrey, Ward-Prowse, Lingard, Watkins and Greenwood are the 7 to miss out.

Don't get why he has gone for 4 Right backs.

4 hours ago, jrs said:

After recent performances I reckon that Sterling, Rashford and Alexander-Arnold are lucky to survive the cut. I don't hold high hopes for us with Southgate in charge. Let's hopes I am completely wrong ¡

Sterling, Rashford yes. 

TAA instrumental in Liverpool's better form towards the end of the season.

4 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Would have had Godfrey (for Mings) and Watkins (for Trippier or Alexander-Arnold) myself. Either Lingard or Ward-Prowse for Coady too, I don't think he's good enough in a back 4. There's 10 defenders there plus Henderson has played mostly at CB this season and Saka who can cover LB, it's way too many.

Mings is the worst though, he's not even the best English CB at Villa. Konsa, Dunk, Tomori, Tarkowski are all better CBs who didn't even make the initial squad. 

If Maguire can prove he's fully fit I would go with;

Pickford

James - Stones - Maguire - Shaw

Bellingham - Rice

Sancho - Mount - Foden

Kane

edit;

Lingard left out but Southgate says he'll start tomorrow's friendly? Completely lost the plot.. let's just get knocked out early, give him the sack and get someone competent in the job before the World Cup :rolleyes:

I don't really get what more Southgate was or is supposed to have achieved in his England managerial career.

Like any manager he is far from perfect but he has done better than a lot of other managers with a much better reputations. 

England continually have a production line of brilliant players but still remain a collection of individuals.

That doesn't always translate to playing scintillating open attacking football and winning.

More often than not its led to flying through qualifying and then being very mediocre.

A lot of the top English players are great because of the players in the club teams that are around them, and sometimes that is forgotten.

England should just go for broke and attack, that's what the majority of England players are good at.

Sometimes tactics prohibits that, but at the same time if you are losing a game with 20 minutes to go you'd hope players take responsibility.

This team should do well in the tournament whether they play dull football or a massively expressive game.

All that matters really is the results. England are desperate to win something.

But pragmatically I think getting to a SF or Final given the pressure, expectation and criticism as a Manager would be a good tournament.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CrystalCastles said:

Don't get why he has gone for 4 Right backs.

Sterling, Rashford yes. 

TAA instrumental in Liverpool's better form towards the end of the season.

I don't really get what more Southgate was or is supposed to have achieved in his England managerial career.

Like any manager he is far from perfect but he has done better than a lot of other managers with a much better reputations. 

England continually have a production line of brilliant players but still remain a collection of individuals.

That doesn't always translate to playing scintillating open attacking football and winning.

More often than not its led to flying through qualifying and then being very mediocre.

A lot of the top English players are great because of the players in the club teams that are around them, and sometimes that is forgotten.

England should just go for broke and attack, that's what the majority of England players are good at.

Sometimes tactics prohibits that, but at the same time if you are losing a game with 20 minutes to go you'd hope players take responsibility.

This team should do well in the tournament whether they play dull football or a massively expressive game.

All that matters really is the results. England are desperate to win something.

But pragmatically I think getting to a SF or Final given the pressure, expectation and criticism as a Manager would be a good tournament.

As long as we beat Wales I don’t care.  They are in it, aren’t they?  :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

As long as we beat Wales I don’t care.  They are in it, aren’t they?  :D

Haha :D

Yes Wales did qualify, I suspect Wales will not have as good a tournament as Euro 2016.

However, we will just enjoy being in the finals stage again. 

My only hope is that Wales play well and attack. 

12 minutes ago, CrystalCastles said:

Haha :D

Yes Wales did qualify, I suspect Wales will not have as good a tournament as Euro 2016.

However, we will just enjoy being in the finals stage again. 

My only hope is that Wales play well and attack. 

Yes, that should be the aim of all professional sport: to entertain first and win second.

And I agree with you that England should attack and be expressive rather than nervous and conservative. Sadly Southgate is the latter.

• Like 1

Considering last night’s result with our starting eleven valued at 800 million (?), I wonder if any Premier League club fancies signing the entire Austrian team for £200 million?

As well as Mings being an average CB, more proof yesterday that he's also a thug

He might be lucky enough that Premier League referees ignore this sort of thing when he does it but VAR with European refs = guaranteed red  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

Considering last night’s result with our starting eleven valued at 800 million (?), I wonder if any Premier League club fancies signing the entire Austrian team for £200 million?

I'd definitely buy Sabitzer from Leipzig, quality player. 

3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I'd definitely buy Sabitzer from Leipzig, quality player. 

Probably the most expensive after Alaba.

But last night’s match shows you don’t need to buy players for £50 million plus.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Probably the most expensive after Alaba.

But last night’s match shows you don’t need to buy players for £50 million plus.

Absolutely, Manchester United are going to waste a lot of money this summer for not much improvement imo

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

:D

54 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

As well as Mings being an average CB, more proof yesterday that he's also a thug

He might be lucky enough that Premier League referees ignore this sort of thing when he does it but VAR with European refs = guaranteed red  

Mediocre centre-back. Used to work with his Dad,Adie, from Chippenham.

Good to see Saka having good game. England haven't lost for last 19 games when an Arsenal player has scored. W.17 D.2:D

Edited by auntie doris
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Mediocre centre-back.

He’s not even the best English central defender at Villa...

49 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Absolutely, Manchester United are going to waste a lot of money this summer for not much improvement imo

Yes, last night’s match showed that getting a good team spirit is better than flying in random £100 million individuals.

Sir Alex made a number of what appeared to be astounding decisions, selling good players at the peak of their game, but did so to maintain team spirit and focus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DC2 said:

Yes, last night’s match showed that getting a good team spirit is better than flying in random £100 million individuals.

Sir Alex made a number of what appeared to be astounding decisions, selling good players at the peak of their game, but did so to maintain team spirit and focus.

This is what Manchester United fans don't get about Sancho. Sulked & down tools at City to get a move. Then at Dortmund did exactly the same early season. Only when promised a move he's done well again. 

Sancho may well become a club legend but history also tells us he's a pain in the a$$ when he doesn't get what he wants. 

We've already suffered with Pogba, who I still want us to get rid off. 

• Like 1