British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Re-reading "Greavsie" when fooballer's mixed with the fans and had great rapport with them.

Harry Kane shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence as Jimmy Greaves

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Harry Kane shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence as Jimmy Greaves

Quite hes lot better

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, orion said:

Quite hes lot better

Jimmy Greaves is probably one of the best goal scorers this country has ever produced...in any era.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Jimmy Greaves is probably one of the best goal scorers this country has ever produced...in any era.

So is Kane .who is a much better all round player 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, orion said:

So is Kane .who is a much better all round player 

Jimmy played in 516 Football League matches and scored 357 goals all in the First Division.

Jimmy scored a total of 465 goals (average 0.69 per game) and was the leading First Division goal scorer a record six times. He scored 25 hat tricks or more in 25 First Division matches. He was his club's leading scorer in 12 of the 14 seasons in which he played First Division football. His total tally of goals in senior games is 491 goals.

At 21 years of age he became the youngest player in the history of English football to score 100 goals. Aged 23, he scored his 200th League goal to equal the record set by Dixie Dean of Everton.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Jimmy played in 516 Football League matches and scored 357 goals all in the First Division.

Jimmy scored a total of 465 goals (average 0.69 per game) and was the leading First Division goal scorer a record six times. He scored 25 hat tricks or more in 25 First Division matches. He was his club's leading scorer in 12 of the 14 seasons in which he played First Division football. His total tally of goals in senior games is 491 goals.

At 21 years of age he became the youngest player in the history of English football to score 100 goals. Aged 23, he scored his 200th League goal to equal the record set by Dixie Dean of Everton.

...he also scored on his debut for each club he played for (including his Italian adventure!)

33 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...he also scored on his debut for each club he played for (including his Italian adventure!)

Was he the first big UK signing abroad or was that John Charles ? 

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Was he the first big UK signing abroad or was that John Charles ? 

Think it was John Charles or Joe (can't remember his surname?) who once played for Sunderland?

20 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Think it was John Charles or Joe (can't remember his surname?) who once played for Sunderland?

Baker ?

8 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Baker ?

That's the one!

Dennis Law was another early European 'entry' I recall.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Saw him play 4 times, once for England, 3 for Spurs, twice at Highbury, once at Wet Spam. My main memory was of Greavsie blasting the ball over the bar from 3 yards out at Upton Park and laughing. All the kids playing football wanted to be Greavsie, though I wanted to be Mooro. Great character, great goalscorer, always messing around, wasn't a great trainer.

Edited by auntie doris

1 minute ago, auntie doris said:

Saw him play 4 times, once for England, 3 for Spurs, twice at Highbury, once at Wet Spam. My main memory was of Greavsie blasting the ball over the bar from 3 yards out at Upton Park and laughing. All the kids playing football wanted to be Greavsie, though I wanted to be Mooro. Great character, great goalscorer, always messing around, wasn't a great trainer.

Apparently he wasn't a great advocate of jogging distances in training but would do short sprints as this is what helped him when on the field when attacking the goal...not hard shots from a distance but subtle touches that were well placed beyond the reach of the goalkeeper. I'm enjoying the read!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

One of the first I remember was Gerry Hitchens

From my own memory, Chares and Law and Greaves were a bit before my time and possibly the great Laurie Cunningham was the first that springs to mind