British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

22 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Don't forget Herbert Kilpin. The reason AC Milan have that name and not AC Milano....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Kilpin

Also interesting that they started as Football and Cricket club. A similar history to one of my local teams, who now have a friendship with one of my old local teams, Dulwich Hamlet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altonaer_FC_von_1893

15 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...he also scored on his debut for each club he played for (including his Italian adventure!)

...including England!

17 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Jimmy played in 516 Football League matches and scored 357 goals all in the First Division.

Jimmy scored a total of 465 goals (average 0.69 per game) and was the leading First Division goal scorer a record six times. He scored 25 hat tricks or more in 25 First Division matches. He was his club's leading scorer in 12 of the 14 seasons in which he played First Division football. His total tally of goals in senior games is 491 goals.

At 21 years of age he became the youngest player in the history of English football to score 100 goals. Aged 23, he scored his 200th League goal to equal the record set by Dixie Dean of Everton.

Steve, as I won’t be around in 2070 to read your posts on this season could you please let me have them now?  :D

27 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Steve, as I won’t be around in 2070 to read your posts on this season could you please let me have them now?  :D

Cheeky!

19 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Jimmy played in 516 Football League matches and scored 357 goals all in the First Division.

Jimmy scored a total of 465 goals (average 0.69 per game) and was the leading First Division goal scorer a record six times. He scored 25 hat tricks or more in 25 First Division matches. He was his club's leading scorer in 12 of the 14 seasons in which he played First Division football. His total tally of goals in senior games is 491 goals.

At 21 years of age he became the youngest player in the history of English football to score 100 goals. Aged 23, he scored his 200th League goal to equal the record set by Dixie Dean of Everton.

Top scorer in World cup ? 

26 minutes ago, orion said:

Top scorer in World cup ? 

Injury prevented him from taking his place in 66 World Cup Final...I wonder if things had turned out differently?

10 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Injury prevented him from taking his place in 66 World Cup Final...I wonder if things had turned out differently?

No it never he was fit for the semi and the final but never got picked . he had not scored in the 3 group games he had played in . Kane has already got a golden boot for being the World Cup top scorer .

Not running down Jimmy but for  people to say Kane is not in the same league is a joke .... i guess on a speedway forum its to expected that the past is better than now 

Edited by orion

He picked up an injury during the quarter-final and wasn't fit to take his place in the semi-final and by then Geoff Hurst had taken his place and as they say the rest is history. Never commented anywhere that Jimmy was better than Kane (I'm not aware if anyone has?) just that he was one of England's finest goal scorers irrespective of what era.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Harry Kane shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence as Jimmy Greaves

???  you liked the post 

4 minutes ago, orion said:

???  you liked the post 

...registering a 'like" to making a comment are two different things. Had this same converstaion with Bwitcher some years ago now I recall.

15 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...registering a 'like" to making a comment are two different things. Had this same converstaion with Bwitcher some years ago now I recall.

You said  that no one on this topic had made such a comment .. i just found it and not only that  you liked it . so unless its a mistake you must think that. not got a problem if  that your opinion but dont back track 

Edited by orion

1 hour ago, orion said:

You that no one on this topic had made such a comment .. i just found it and not only that  you liked it . so unless its a mistake you must think that. not got a problem if that ifs that your opinion but dont back track 

Pardon?

Edited by steve roberts

Swindon 1 Darlo 2:blink:

1 minute ago, auntie doris said:

Swindon 1 Darlo 2:blink:

Great result for Darlington who have had their troubles of late. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, screm said:

Great result for Darlington who have had their troubles of late. 

Salford nick Swindon's manager, it goes from bad to worst at The County Ground. Me Mam will be happy, Darlo/ Newcastle fan living in Swindon. Ex Toon player Campbell scored both.

Edited by auntie doris