British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

1 minute ago, chunky said:

Heartbreaking for Torquay and Hayes & Yeading... Great result for Chorley though.

Torquay 2-0 after 82 mins, lose 5-6 :o

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Torquay 2-0 after 82 mins, lose 5-6 :o

And 5-3 up in extra time too!

Hayes 2-0 with three minutes to go!

43 fouls in the Torquay game!

Big win for Villa.

Interesting developments at Wrexham after strong rumours of them coming on board. 

https://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/news/extraordinary-ballot-rob-mcelhenney-and-ryan-reynolds-mission-statement

13 hours ago, CrystalCastles said:

Big win for Villa.

Interesting developments at Wrexham after strong rumours of them coming on board. 

https://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/news/extraordinary-ballot-rob-mcelhenney-and-ryan-reynolds-mission-statement

A load of Arse..only Tierney had decent game. Lacazette, Aubummerbang and Willian woeful, torn apart by Grealish and co. Arseteta is no better than Emery.

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

A load of Arse..only Tierney had decent game. Lacazette, Aubummerbang and Willian woeful, torn apart by Grealish and co. Arseteta is no better than Emery.

Tripped himself up as well didn't he? Spectacular.

So many teams are inconsistent.

26 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

It’s a pretty extraordinary tale. 

It is pretty mental, hopefully it happens.

Would love to know what the reasons behind it are.

I get the 'story' that they may get, I also get the appeal of putting a small amount of money (for them) into Wales's oldest club as opposed to investing in a corporate franchise in North American/Canadian sport.

The only positive re the Arsenal debacle was |Ollie Watkins due to his Brentford connection. 

I can't understand why (with respect to Villa) a bigger club didn't take a chance on Watkins. He has all the ingredients to be a top striker, he can play as a 10 and is comfortable out wide as well. I know Spurs were very interested but ultimately felt the price was too high... it'll be their loss in the end. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Cheese said:

I can't understand why (with respect to Villa) a bigger club didn't take a chance on Watkins. He has all the ingredients to be a top striker, he can play as a 10 and is comfortable out wide as well. I know Spurs were very interested but ultimately felt the price was too high... it'll be their loss in the end. 

I was quite surprised how much they paid for him. 

Atm though, it's a gamble that's paying off, so fair play to them. 

1 minute ago, YerRopes said:

I was quite surprised how much they paid for him. 

Atm though, it's a gamble that's paying off, so fair play to them. 

Obviously a high price for someone not proven above Championship level but it's not much different to spending that much on a striker from leagues such Portugal, Belgium, Holland. At least you know there's no issue with settling in a new country, language, adapting to a new style etc. 

He's also showing the benefit of taking time before making the step up. Partly down to not developing as quickly I guess but it wasn't that long ago he was on loan at Weston-Super-Mare. Took his chance at Exeter when he got it, stayed a little longer than he needed to (Derby offered £3m in the January before he left) and similar with Brentford because there was interest last summer too. Would be nice if some more young players realised that route to the top isn't such a bad one

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

Obviously a high price for someone not proven above Championship level but it's not much different to spending that much on a striker from leagues such Portugal, Belgium, Holland. At least you know there's no issue with settling in a new country, language, adapting to a new style etc. 

He's also showing the benefit of taking time before making the step up. Partly down to not developing as quickly I guess but it wasn't that long ago he was on loan at Weston-Super-Mare. Took his chance at Exeter when he got it, stayed a little longer than he needed to (Derby offered £3m in the January before he left) and similar with Brentford because there was interest last summer too. Would be nice if some more young players realised that route to the top isn't such a bad one

And he's an Arsenal fan. Cirencester Town had a great striker called Ben Whitehead, scored over 80 goals in 2 seasons in Southern League football, went to WSM and suffered injuries. The sweetest left foot, could have played in EFL, but Swindon offloaded him. So many talented players don't make it through lack of right attitude, injury-prone, or no luck, or don't get spotted.

As Ray Parlour said there were better players than him as youth at Arsenal but he had the most desire drive and determination and forged a successful career. 

Jack Wilshere could have been England regular but injuries decimated his career.

Frankie Lampard stayed after training to improve his skills.

Edited by auntie doris

I can remember Tyrone Mings playing for Chippenham Town for ages before moving to Ipswich I think it was.. 

Villa took a gamble on him too and now he's been around the England squad for a while. 

3 minutes ago, YerRopes said:

I can remember Tyrone Mings playing for Chippenham Town for ages before moving to Ipswich I think it was.. 

Villa took a gamble on him too and now he's been around the England squad for a while. 

His career was going nowhere at Bournemouth and couldn’t get in the team. Villa got him on loan in January whilst in the championship and then paid what seem a ridiculous sum for him after getting promoted in the summer.

That price seems a steal now when you look at the price of bang average players now are costing.

1 hour ago, The Cheese said:

Newcastle were also interested as reported, but they chose Callum Wilson, probably because I think he was deemed a lesser risk having been there and done it for Bournemouth