British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

5 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

My all - time England team: Shilton, Neville, Adams, Moore, Cole, Ball, Gazza, Robson, Charlton, Haynes, Greaves.. subs Banks, Terry, Keegan, Shearer, Rogers, Owen, Kane, Butcher, Gerrard.

No Lineker? I think better than Owen (granted, a very different player)......... Ashley Cole...... may have been a d1ck, but what a player..... I never really appreciated him til he'd gone

1 hour ago, JC71 said:

No Lineker? I think better than Owen (granted, a very different player)......... Ashley Cole...... may have been a d1ck, but what a player..... I never really appreciated him til he'd gone

Oh yeah forgot him, and John Barnes, Rooney, Lampard, Hoddle, Beckham, Gerry and Trevor Francis.

Edited by auntie doris

47 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

My all - time England team: Shilton, Neville, Adams, Moore, Cole, Ball, Gazza, Robson, Charlton, Haynes, Greaves.. subs Banks, Terry, Keegan, Shearer, Rogers, Owen, Kane, Butcher, Gerrard.

Wot? No Matthews or Lofthouse?

9 minutes ago, chunky said:

Wot? No Matthews or Lofthouse?

Didn't see them play, nor Edwards, Finney or Wright

Edited by auntie doris

24 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Didn't see them play, nor Edwards, Finney or Wright

So it's not an "all-time" team, then? It's a "my-time" team... :t:

Surprised you didn't find a place for John Trollope! 

10 minutes ago, chunky said:

So it's not an "all-time" team, then? It's a "my-time" team... :t:

Surprised you didn't find a place for John Trollope! 

Kenny Sansom was slightly better than Trollope:t:

2 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Kenny Sansom was slightly better than Trollope:t:

Funnily enough, I never really rated Sansom...

7 minutes ago, chunky said:

Funnily enough, I never really rated Sansom...

You thought Winterburn was better?

29 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

You thought Winterburn was better?

Of course! He was an ex-Don!

Seriously though, I think the 70's and 80's was an era when England was struggling in the full-back area. I think that part of it is that I get annoyed by all the hype, as in most cases, the player fails to live up to it. When you think about all the future "superstars" that England promised, most end up temperamental and inconsistent - not that I think Kenny was that temperamental.

17 minutes ago, chunky said:

Of course! He was an ex-Don!

Seriously though, I think the 70's and 80's was an era when England was struggling in the full-back area. I think that part of it is that I get annoyed by all the hype, as in most cases, the player fails to live up to it. When you think about all the future "superstars" that England promised, most end up temperamental and inconsistent - not that I think Kenny was that temperamental.

Talking of Wimbledon anybody remember Francis Joseph?  A fine player  who never fully recovered from a serious injury

3 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Impressive....I'd have to give it some thought but Banks, Moore, Bobby Charlton, Greaves would definately be in my starting line up!

41 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Talking of Wimbledon anybody remember Francis Joseph?  A fine player  who never fully recovered from a serious injury

And Francis' brother Roger... Francis was our Player of the Year - very talented individual.

14 minutes ago, chunky said:

And Francis' brother Roger... Francis was our Player of the Year - very talented individual.

Yes  remember them both!!! After his injury Dave Basset brought Francis back to Wimbledon but never the same player again. Last I heard of him he was coaching at Wealdstone

Here is one for old timers:  Anybody remember  Pat Terry a bloody good player who knocked about the lower leagues in the sixties, never lasted long whoever he played for . Never sure whether he was any relation to John Terry. 

19 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Here is one for old timers:  Anybody remember  Pat Terry a bloody good player who knocked about the lower leagues in the sixties, never lasted long whoever he played for . Never sure whether he was any relation to John Terry. 

Centre forward for Swindon in 67/68, wasn't tall but strong, good in the air. In same side as Sir Don Rogers:D

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1