British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

RIP Tommy Docherty.. 

He'll be up there 'before the postcards'.. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Remember when he was managing Derby at Arsenal in the 70s, and having an affair with Mary Brown, the North Bank were singing "Who's up Mary Brown" to the tune of Knees Up Mother Brown:rofl: Ex-Arsenal player...R.I.P. The Doc.

SHE was his wife for 46 years...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Remember when he was managing Derby at Arsenal in the 70s, and having an affair with Mary Brown, the North Bank were singing "Who's up Mary Brown" to the tune of Knees Up Mother Brown:rofl: Ex-Arsenal player...R.I.P. The Doc.

I recall long running saga when he joined Arsenal from PNE

5 hours ago, Hilly said:

Hearing rumours that our old friend Kyle Walker has been up to his old tricks again. City and Fulham matches off fuel the fire. Even a private jet from abroad.

Plane from Germany, if version I heard is true.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pinny said:

Another Liverpool draw to a lesser side... really is there for the taking this season . Utd may not get a better chance for years.

What a way to hit back at the Scousers it would be if we were to win it this season!

Hey, that's my mighty Magpies you are calling's 'lesser'. :D Best performance of the year. :approve:

• Like 1

Watched the BBC Scotland documentary about the 1971 Ibrox stairwell disaster last night, had heard of it but didn’t really know the ins and outs......a really well filmed piece of TV with several eye witness accounts which brought home the horror of what occurred that day. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Watched the BBC Scotland documentary about the 1971 Ibrox stairwell disaster last night, had heard of it but didn’t really know the ins and outs......a really well filmed piece of TV with several eye witness accounts which brought home the horror of what occurred that day. 

I remember that day; i was only 9 at the time, and was at my grandparents' house. I'd never known anything like that, and it is something that has stayed with me. Shocking that something as simple as going to a football match can affect the lives of so many, but sadly, that's the way life is...

7 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Yes I remember it all to well. Shocking at the time and still shocking now.

Posted (edited)
  1. I seem to recall just after the Ibrox incident going to an FA Cup replay at Highbury v Derby. For probably the first time ever there was real concern in the crowd with fans pushing and shoving following any incident.  May have got dates wrong but seem to recall a midweek afternoon KO. So could have been during miners strike/3 day week
Edited by wealdstone

I remember when I was a big football fan before all seated stadiums sometimes it was like being herded like sheep especially for away matches. Scary thinking back. I watched that documentary the other night, I was 10 at the time very sad

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bruno said:

I remember when I was a big football fan before all seated stadiums sometimes it was like being herded like sheep especially for away matches. Scary thinking back. I watched that documentary the other night, I was 10 at the time very sad

Going to and from  by train was equally scary looking back  with overcrowded trains and platforms.  

29 minutes ago, bruno said:

Coming out of the away end at Vale Park once my feet didn't touch the ground, literally, from the moment I got to the steps until the street outside. Scary is right, and I was in my twenties!

Plus being chased through Hereford cattle market skidding on cow $hit:rofl:

• Haha 2

Here’s my all time England team from players that I’ve seen:

Shilton

Des Walker, Bobby Moore, Tony Adams

Bryan Robson

Keegan, Bobby Charlton, Steven Gerrard, Beckham

Shearer, Lineker

50 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Here’s my all time England team from players that I’ve seen:

Shilton

Des Walker, Bobby Moore, Tony Adams

Bryan Robson

Keegan, Bobby Charlton, Steven Gerrard, Beckham

Shearer, Lineker

Far too many players from the  sixties and seventies in that line up when football was "crap" according to Orion.