British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

Newport keeper scores from a goal kick at Cheltenham, assist by Christoph :D 

• Haha 3

Watching Borussia Dortmund's game at Leverkusen yesterday and they must regret not taking the cash for Sancho. Holding out for £120m, they'll be lucky to get half of that next summer based on his performances this season and with only a year left on his contract.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

Watching Borussia Dortmund's game at Leverkusen yesterday and they must regret not taking the cash for Sancho. Holding out for £120m, they'll be lucky to get half of that next summer based on his performances this season and with only a year left on his contract.

I'm sure they are not the only ones regretting not selling a player or two before the Corona crisis came along. He is playing at a club in a mini crisis though. Rather like being at Chelsea...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I'm sure they are not the only ones regretting not selling a player or two before the Corona crisis came along. He is playing at a club in a mini crisis though. Rather like being at Chelsea...

Yeah, I think many clubs have probably underestimated the effect on transfers. Possibly they expected at least some fans to be able to return by now or the end of season but that looks unlikely across Europe. This window is 2/3rds done and there's barely been a transfer for anything more than a small fee, January is usually quieter but not this much. I don't see that changing too much in the summer either, just more free transfers/loans/swap deals.

19 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Newport keeper scores from a goal kick at Cheltenham, assist by Christoph :D 

Newcastle will probably sign him to help Joelinton.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Fully agree. United offered around 100m quid apparently and they turned it down. Could turn out to be a big mistake , unless he renews his contract. 

With Pogba on this form , we look a force. Problem is he has these spells where he is genuinely world class then he falls back into his attitude of not giving a toss and disrupting the team. If he played like this all the time, he would be the first name on the sheet every week. 

Thought the decision to allow Citys first goal was farcical. Villa without doubt deserved a point from that. 

Pogbas goal was superb though. Fair play!

• Like 1

I thought that too about Silva’s goal but it been pointed out by several sources on Twitter that because Mings deliberately played the ball before Dias/Rodri (?) got involved he played him onside. A new one on me if I’m honest.  

Edited by Bagpuss

The goal was within the law,but this law has to change in my eyes.I can see why Smith was irate about it.Villa was right in that game up until that point.

5 hours ago, Pinny said:

Fully agree. United offered around 100m quid apparently and they turned it down. Could turn out to be a big mistake , unless he renews his contract. 

With Pogba on this form , we look a force. Problem is he has these spells where he is genuinely world class then he falls back into his attitude of not giving a toss and disrupting the team. If he played like this all the time, he would be the first name on the sheet every week. 

Thought the decision to allow Citys first goal was farcical. Villa without doubt deserved a point from that. 

Pogbas goal was superb though. Fair play!

Utd still don't look that great but seem to be getting the results.Playing with 10 men most of the time as Martial does nothing.Cavani puts Martial to shame in his movement and especially work rate,and he's meant to be the old man of the side.Martial thinks he's a number 9 but in all honesty he's a 4.5. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I thought that too about Silva’s goal but it been pointed out by several sources on Twitter that because Mings deliberately played the ball before Dias/Rodri (?) got involved he played him onside. A new one on me if I’m honest.  

Gary Lineker read the rule that he thought applied as “A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball is not considered to have gained an advantage”.

But that’s not what happened, is it?

Didn’t the City player come back onside and then challenge Mings?

So he wasn’t in an “offside position” at that point and didn’t “receive” the ball from Mings.

Good to see Burnley winning the six pointer and starting to overhaul Liverpool.  :D

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

But, apparently, confidence is like a small flower (Klopp).

It appears that Liverpool’s stars have turned on a sixpence.

Just look at Sancho and Aubamayang for world-beaters turned also-rans.

And yet upon such frailty multi-million pound trades are made!

21 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

But, apparently, confidence is like a small flower (Klopp).

It appears that Liverpool’s stars have turned on a sixpence.

Just look at Sancho and Aubamayang for world-beaters turned also-rans.

And yet upon such frailty multi-million pound trades are made!

Not sure where you get that Sancho is an also ran now. Only 10 days or so they were saying he is getting back to his best after he helped Dortmund beat Leipzig. In fact stating if you look at the stats with goals and assists, he is only 2 behind last season when he was being hailed as one of the tops stars

https://www.kicker.de/sancho-und-der-richtige-weg-zur-alten-magie-794235/artikel

Integrally involved in every attack for Dortmund

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zp0GZmfwGTw

Edited by iris123

23 hours ago, DC2 said:

Gary Lineker read the rule that he thought applied as “A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball is not considered to have gained an advantage”.

But that’s not what happened, is it?

Didn’t the City player come back onside and then challenge Mings?

So he wasn’t in an “offside position” at that point and didn’t “receive” the ball from Mings.

I only heard Lineker's comments & saw the incident on a clip from BBC news on my phone so I'm happy to be proved wrong but I must admit, that's how I saw it too.

I saw nothing wrong with it tbh. The City player was running back from an offside position, Ming's knew he was there and made a complete dogs dinner of controlling it and the loose ball was picked up from an onside position. To say he was tackled from behind by a player in an offside position is a bit strong & certainly not what I saw.

In any case, but for Sheffield United's goal being chalked off when Villas keeper was stood in the goal holding the ball against the side netting, they would be playing in the Championship now so what goes round comes round and all that.

Makes me laugh to hear the term ungentlemanly used, when week after week we watch players cheating by going to ground as soon as anyone comes near them to gain an advantage!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Not sure where you get that Sancho is an also ran now. Only 10 days or so they were saying he is getting back to his best after he helped Dortmund beat Leipzig. In fact stating if you look at the stats with goals and assists, he is only 2 behind last season when he was being hailed as one of the tops stars

https://www.kicker.de/sancho-und-der-richtige-weg-zur-alten-magie-794235/artikel

Integrally involved in every attack for Dortmund

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zp0GZmfwGTw

Just like Covid studies.

One minute they say one thing, the next the opposite!

Was he any good in the last match against Mainz?

Edited by DC2