British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

16 hours ago, chunky said:

Again, it comes down to MONEY.

Over the years, many, many teams have not only threatened to break the domination by the top few, but have actually done so. However, none have effectively joined the "elite" on a long-term basis.

Leicester look the most likely, but take Wigan, Blackburn, Bolton, Wimbledon etc. They get up there, have a handful of seasons at the top level, then not only slip away, but invariably get relegated - often more than once! More recently, we've had Burnley, Bournemouth, and Sheffield Utd - and look what's happened to them...

That’s all fair enough.

All of those clubs, especially Leicester, should be an inspiration for the lesser clubs in the PL.

But, back to managers, it’s clear that some are due credit from their teams’ performances and finishing positions while others gain appointments simply because they have been in the game for a long time.

Leicester really have been transformed these last few years , I would definitely agree that its now a “big 7” rather than 6. 

Everton not quite there consistently yet and Wolves miles off, despite being told by BWitcher they would be, was it top 4, within a couple of years of their promotion? They look worse off than last year by some way. 

• Like 2

Could do with taking advantage of our success in increasing the stadium capacity and local rivals being poor (towns such as Nuneaton, Loughborough, Kettering, Stamford should have Leicester fans). Alas Covid stops that currently. 

Anyway Lampard has gone, Tuchel in 

Having said that PL clubs shouldn’t be keeping rubbish managers on the gravy train they also shouldn’t be giving novices their first opportunity.

Had Frank Lampard earned his spurs as a manager elsewhere before his Chelsea appointment?

There really should be a better regime for the progression and “measuring” of managers.

Petty I know but gone off Leicester a bit following what I perceived as a disrespectful post by Hazzman, gloating over a win over a team of Brentford kids , who whilst most had little or no experience at this level but dominated for a large period of first half.  Also pissed off by biased TV coverage before, during and after. Could not even be bothered to interview Brentford post match.  What an irritating bloke the S Scottish chap with Robbie Savage was his accent grated. 

Sounds like Lampard 'lost the dressing room'. Would have given him more time personally but some irony there given he was part of the group that got managers sacked previously.

Can't see Tuchel lasting long either, he fell out with everyone at Dortmund and PSG. Working for Abramovich isn't going to be any easier.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pinny said:

Leicester really have been transformed these last few years , I would definitely agree that its now a “big 7” rather than 6. 

Everton not quite there consistently yet and Wolves miles off, despite being told by BWitcher they would be, was it top 4, within a couple of years of their promotion? They look worse off than last year by some way. 

Don't tar all Wolves fans with the BWitcher brush. Most of us have known enough disappointment over the years to resist getting too ahead of ourselves when things start looking up. No doubt this has been a disappointing season compared to the last two, but having had a couple of lucky years with injuries we have definitely been unlucky this season, with the loss of Jiminez being particularly hard hitting (no pun intended).

I think the owners are still in for the long haul and seem to have a policy of recruiting young talent, which doesn't always work well short term. Covid and changes in policy by the Chinese authorities have possibly affected the levels of investment, but most Wolves fans only need to hear the name Dean Saunders to be thankful for what we currently have!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Petty I know but gone off Leicester a bit following what I perceived as a disrespectful post by Hazzman, gloating over a win over a team of Brentford kids , who whilst most had little or no experience at this level but dominated for a large period of first half.  Also pissed off by biased TV coverage before, during and after. Could not even be bothered to interview Brentford post match.  What an irritating bloke the S Scottish chap with Robbie Savage was his accent grated. 

Wasn’t meant to be disrespectful in the slightest. I thought we should have been 2 down at Half Time - and we probably should have lost last years cup fixture which was a very similar game - again both teams made big personnel changes then as well. 

The gloat if you view that was how we’ve progressed from struggling in such fixtures to eventually composing ourselves to win. If anything I’m showing respect if it’s deemed a gloat rather than an alienating pat on the head for saying ‘well done Brentford’. I’m quite aware - I have been there and plenty of false compliments along the way. Football’s cyclic - we soon be back falling down, just hope what’s occurred means the fall is not too low.

If you want me to level criticism at Brentford, it’s that their club is largely funded by a massive issue within football - betting, the owner effectively sells information to inform bookmakers of odds. In the same way our ownership is propped by a company who’ve benefitted from a corrupt government, it doesn’t sit well with me. Weirdly the family have probably invested more more in Leicester as a civic duty for its people then they have done for their own country. 

Equally I’m not a fan of Brentford‘s tactic of signing youngsters from Europe to stock a B team at the detriment of young English kids. I know their reasons why and fully suspect that the new Brexit rules mean they require a rethink there.

Edited by Hazzman

Owe nearly £200m in transfer fees and players haven't been paid all of their wages

How unfortunate :)

Edited by The Cheese
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

Owe nearly £200m in transfer fees and players haven't been paid all of their wages

Good.  Hopefully all top football clubs will go bust.

The emperor’s new clothes of business and entertainment and a self-serving cartel.

The sooner sportsmen, singers and actors get paid sensible salaries, the better.

22 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Good.  Hopefully all top football clubs will go bust.

The emperor’s new clothes of business and entertainment and a self-serving cartel.

The sooner sportsmen, singers and actors get paid sensible salaries, the better.

Absolutely ridiculous thing to say, what about the people that work at the clubs and get paid a very basic wage. Also all big clubs do work in the local communities worth thousands of pounds a year.

Remember that the smaller clubs will sell there best players to bigger clubs to help them survive along with payments received from the premier league.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tim G said:

Absolutely ridiculous thing to say, what about the people that work at the clubs and get paid a very basic wage. Also all big clubs do work in the local communities worth thousands of pounds a year.

Remember that the smaller clubs will sell there best players to bigger clubs to help them survive along with payments received from the premier league.

You’re defending the indefensible, Tim.

The whole economics of football and society needs re-working.

If football’s based on a fairly average fan paying out £1,500 a year for Sky and BT, £2,000 a year for match tickets and £500 a year for merchandise, it’s time to put another 10p on income tax and revamp the NHS and third world poverty.

Let’s get our priorities right.

Edited by DC2

21 hours ago, Hazzman said:

Equally I’m not a fan of Brentford‘s tactic of signing youngsters from Europe to stock a B team at the detriment of young English kids. 

Brentford have a speedway team??? :rofl:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Cheese said:

Wasn't that the case with Real some years back and the council got them out of trouble  ? Same thing seems to happen to Polish speedway clubs and I imagine someone will come to Barca's rescue here

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

You’re defending the indefensible, Tim.

The whole economics of football and society needs re-working.

If football’s based on a fairly average fan paying out £1,500 a year for Sky and BT, £2,000 a year for match tickets and £500 a year for merchandise, it’s time to put another 10p on income tax and revamp the NHS and third world poverty.

Let’s get our priorities right.

Football is a business and contributes greatly to the government and grass roots sport as do other sports. Yes top players are expensive as they are in many different sports.

Think of all the tax generated by the amounts you have just quoted let alone the tax paid on the salaries earned by the players.

Nobody is forced to pay £1500 to Sky/BT and it is a luxury like someone having a nice car or a good holiday. If you are paying that amount I would be on the phone getting a better deal anyway.

People talk about we should prioritise the nhs/third world but would they give up all the treats they give themselves to do this? 

Edited by Tim G