British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

14 minutes ago, Tim G said:

Football is a business and contributes greatly to the government and grass roots sport as do other sports. Yes top players are expensive as they are in many different sports.

Think of all the tax generated by the amounts you have just quoted let alone the tax paid on the salaries earned by the players.

Nobody is forced to pay £1500 to Sky/BT and it is a luxury like someone having a nice car or a good holiday. If you are paying that amount I would be on the phone getting a better deal anyway.

People talk about we should prioritise the nhs/third world but would they give up all the treats they give themselves to do this? 

Very true that. Rung Sky last month to cancel a channel and ended up with nearly forty quid off the bill with no loss of channels. Even got a reduction in my phone contract, now paying under six quid a month for unlimited calls and texts with data. I sensed many people have been cancelling in the last few months from what the young lady from Sky was telling me...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tim G said:

Football is a business and contributes greatly to the government and grass roots sport as do other sports. Yes top players are expensive as they are in many different sports.

Think of all the tax generated by the amounts you have just quoted let alone the tax paid on the salaries earned by the players.

Nobody is forced to pay £1500 to Sky/BT and it is a luxury like someone having a nice car or a good holiday. If you are paying that amount I would be on the phone getting a better deal anyway.

People talk about we should prioritise the nhs/third world but would they give up all the treats they give themselves to do this? 

Worldwide, the TV rights should be owned by governments, footballers’ salaries determined by them, transfer fees be non-tax deductible and windfall taxes imposed on the clubs.

Such a completely different regime might turn a phenomenally popular pastime into a force for good.

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Worldwide, the TV rights should be owned by governments, footballers’ salaries determined by them, transfer fees be non-tax deductible and windfall taxes imposed on the clubs.

Such a completely different regime might turn a phenomenally popular pastime into a force for good.

So you are going to do this for all sports, tv shows and the film industry? These are all industries that pay big money for big names so you cannot just persecute football as that would be ridiculous.

30 minutes ago, Tim G said:

So you are going to do this for all sports, tv shows and the film industry? These are all industries that pay big money for big names so you cannot just persecute football as that would be ridiculous.

Yes.

42 minutes ago, DC2 said:

After the last 11 months I'm surprised you'd suggest putting Governments in charge of anything;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Wolfsbane said:

After the last 11 months I'm surprised you'd suggest putting Governments in charge of anything;)

Well the next General Election may well prove interesting? ;)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Yes.

So you have probably killed off professional sport, music, film and tv in one go. 

Just now, Tim G said:

So you have probably killed off professional sport, music, film and tv in one go. 

Why?

It would just mean every sports participant getting a sensible wage instead of a ridiculous one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Sounds like communism and the great reset!!! Sounds like East Germany and Dynamo Berlin etc

.Although rather than all being equal, the clubs closest to the government had special benefits. And not only in football, but all sports

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

Just now, iris123 said:

Sounds like communism and the great reset!!! Sounds like East Germany and Dynamo Berlin etc

You can label it whatever you like if it means stopping unnecessary deaths and improving quality of life in the third world.

1 minute ago, DC2 said:

Why?

It would just mean every sports participant getting a sensible wage instead of a ridiculous one.

Because what club is going to spend vast money on training talent for the government to then take all the money. Same as why would a record company invest in a singer to see no return.

The only way your idea would work is if the government took all the financial risks and I cannot see that happening or voters being happy with the idea.

So what do you class as a sensible wage?

Your idea is so unrealistic.

2 minutes ago, DC2 said:

You can label it whatever you like if it means stopping unnecessary deaths and improving quality of life in the third world.

Well that does seem the aim of the great reset. But from what I read it also means the end of speedway. Still who cares.... all seems well in cloud cuckoo land. Is there any room left ? I might move in the neighbourhood :D

20 minutes ago, Tim G said:

Because what club is going to spend vast money on training talent for the government to then take all the money. Same as why would a record company invest in a singer to see no return.

The only way your idea would work is if the government took all the financial risks and I cannot see that happening or voters being happy with the idea.

So what do you class as a sensible wage?

Your idea is so unrealistic.

Why is it unrealistic?

Look how Covid has mobilised governments worldwide to take drastic action on an unprecedented scale.

All governments could agree now that all footballers get no more than £200,000 and that the pay surplus goes towards third world infrastructure.

They wouldn’t be able to leave for another country that paid more and wouldn’t do another job because playing football is a pleasure and very few are sufficiently educated to do a more highly paid one.

I said to the wife the other evening, when watching the Liverpool v Man U match, that the worst paid player (Rhys Williams?) is probably on £100,000 a week (£5.2 million a year) and the best £300k (£15 million).

£600 million a year for just two teams?

Billions could be raised across the world just by this one measure.

In most cases, these celebs are getting paid so much as they somehow generate the money in the first place. 

Don’t get me wrong , I absolutely hate these reality tv stars atm. Go on these shows, absolute thick as s”””e with zero knowledge of how the world is and end up leaving and becoming millionaires. Because the younger generation are obsessed with such stuff and tune in to watch the rubbish on tv each week. Then they leave and hit instagram and get paid all sorts of sponsorship and you suddenly have some thicko advertising something useless on instagram making a mint from it. 

Makes me sick but it is only happening because so many people are on the bandwagon. The money has to come from somewhere. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Why is it unrealistic?

Look how Covid has mobilised governments worldwide to take drastic action on an unprecedented scale.

All governments could agree now that all footballers get no more than £200,000 and that the pay surplus goes towards third world infrastructure.

They wouldn’t be able to leave for another country that paid more and wouldn’t do another job because playing football is a pleasure and very few are sufficiently educated to do a more highly paid one.

I said to the wife the other evening, when watching the Liverpool v Man U match, that the worst paid player (Rhys Williams?) is probably on £100,000 a week (£5.2 million a year) and the best £300k (£15 million).

£600 million a year for just two teams?

Billions could be raised across the world just by this one measure.

Because it totally is, you are forgetting they clubs are businesses and who would want the hassle without the return. To make this fair you would have to put a salary cap on every job in the country.

Remember quite a few of the stars have foundations that do loads of charity work in the places that you are saying that need the help. So they are helping out in these areas.

Sport is not  just a pleasure for these people it is a career.

I expect Rhys Williams wages are closer to £10,000 than a £100,000 a week.

People just have it in for footballers as they are easy targets and come up with strange ideas.