British Speedway Forum
auntie doris

Football 2020/21

3 hours ago, DC2 said:

Why would they if salaries were capped at £200,000?  They couldn’t get any more!  It would be illegal.

Blame Jimmy Hill! ;)

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

“Now don’t get me wrong I think sportsman can be overpaid but if a promoter/club thinks they are worth I think fair play to them.”

You see, that’s the standard capitalist’s response.

For you, sportsmen getting millions is justified and you don’t want to change it.

For you, people dying of malnutrition is just a fact of life and when presented with a means to change it you argue against it?

But that just standard economics!! 
It won’t change and I don’t begrudge them there earnings because someone who disagrees with it brings out the same old poverty line.

The average bloke doesn’t need a nice car, big tv, flash mobile phone and have nice holidays but we choose too. We could all give this up and give the money to stop people dying of malnutrition.

So people attacking the sportsman whilst doing all of the above themselves are hypocrites.

29 minutes ago, Tim G said:

But that just standard economics!! 
It won’t change and I don’t begrudge them there earnings because someone who disagrees with it brings out the same old poverty line.

The average bloke doesn’t need a nice car, big tv, flash mobile phone and have nice holidays but we choose too. We could all give this up and give the money to stop people dying of malnutrition.

So people attacking the sportsman whilst doing all of the above themselves are hypocrites.

I’m not attacking anyone, I’m saying that the money that is clearly available should be spent on world poverty rather than huge salaries.

9 hours ago, DC2 said:

There you are then, that seems about right, as he wasn’t out of his depth against those paid £15 million a year.

Tax footballers 100% above £200,000.

Why limit it just to footballers?

Grealish has been superb again this season , wonder if he will make a move in the summer? I would love him at United .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, YerRopes said:

Why limit it just to footballers?

Indeed. We shouldn’t.

Massive dose of reality for United. This result has been coming for weeks.

Further proof that the squad doesn't have a winning mentality. 

4 minutes ago, CrystalCastles said:

Massive dose of reality for United. This result has been coming for weeks.

Further proof that the squad doesn't have a winning mentality. 

It is a reality check i must agree.We rely to heavily on Fernandes.I always believed City were the team to win the league this season and that certainly looks so at the moment.

I don't agree on the winning mentality though,to have to come from behind in so many matches this season i think that proves they have that.

The thing i don't like with Ole is he don't pick his strongest team in every game.No game in the PL is a pushover especially this season so you have to pick your strongest 11 in every game.How Martial ever gets a start i don't know,Telles?

Martial's goal should of stood tonight though,but he still shouldn't get a start.

• Like 1

Martial is getting way too many minutes for a player in such poor form. 

Big reality check and i suspect thats the start of a woeful run of form for us now. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tellboy said:

It is a reality check i must agree.We rely to heavily on Fernandes.I always believed City were the team to win the league this season and that certainly looks so at the moment.

I don't agree on the winning mentality though,to have to come from behind in so many matches this season i think that proves they have that.

The thing i don't like with Ole is he don't pick his strongest team in every game.No game in the PL is a pushover especially this season so you have to pick your strongest 11 in every game.How Martial ever gets a start i don't know,Telles?

Martial's goal should of stood tonight though,but he still shouldn't get a start.

City will win it. The last 4 or 5 weeks have been ominous and they also had a nice little rest by not playing at Goodison. Expect them to finish about 6 points clear

United have come from behind a lot this season, which has been a massive improvement.

But they have also blown the CL group, were outclassed easily in the League Cup Semi Final.

After getting a draw at Anfield & then beating Liverpool in the FA Cup.United deliver an abject performance and defeat against Sheffield United.

Continuity and your strongest 11 is imperative to being successful and Ole's selection tonight was awful. United are immensely predictable though. We have Plan A 4-2-3-1 (To play on the counter) and Plan B 4-1-2-1-2 (Diamond) which has been hit/miss. 

I think tactically Wilder got it spot on, defend, allow United to have lots of the ball because we don't have enough players to break teams down. They basically hoped we would struggle to score, then find a goal or 2 somehow. Pretty good job in all fairness.

On Martial i fully agree. In some ways he hasn't improved since joining United. He doesn't have the right attitude or work ethic or consistency to be a top player. He's scored a decent amount of goals, but is anonymous in probably 70-80% of the games he plays. I personally would have sold him about 3 years ago.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CrystalCastles said:

City will win it. The last 4 or 5 weeks have been ominous and they also had a nice little rest by not playing at Goodison. Expect them to finish about 6 points clear

United have come from behind a lot this season, which has been a massive improvement.

But they have also blown the CL group, were outclassed easily in the League Cup Semi Final.

After getting a draw at Anfield & then beating Liverpool in the FA Cup.United deliver an abject performance and defeat against Sheffield United.

Continuity and your strongest 11 is imperative to being successful and Ole's selection tonight was awful. United are immensely predictable though. We have Plan A 4-2-3-1 (To play on the counter) and Plan B 4-1-2-1-2 (Diamond) which has been hit/miss. 

I think tactically Wilder got it spot on, defend, allow United to have lots of the ball because we don't have enough players to break teams down. They basically hoped we would struggle to score, then find a goal or 2 somehow. Pretty good job in all fairness.

On Martial i fully agree. In some ways he hasn't improved since joining United. He doesn't have the right attitude or work ethic or consistency to be a top player. He's scored a decent amount of goals, but is anonymous in probably 70-80% of the games he plays. I personally would have sold him about 3 years ago.

Martial definitely needs to go. I find him lazy and totally uninterested if things are not going his way, which is far too often. 

A world class centre back is needed , a right winger and a marksman striker. Someone you can rely on for 20 plus goals a season leading the line. 

• Like 2

Easy United fans, don’t  go overboard because of one defeat. You are still a point off top. 

Clear to see that the BBC still have an agenda, their headline this morning relates to an ‘inquest’ after last night’s defeat and they’ve wanted Ole out from the word go. .

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Easy United fans, don’t  go overboard because of one defeat. You are still a point off top. 

Clear to see that the BBC still have an agenda, their headline this morning relates to an ‘inquest’ after last night’s defeat and they’ve wanted Ole out from the word go. .

I have always believed we aren't near where we need to be to be able to win the league.Top 4 yes,i fully expected City and Liverpool to be the top 2 but Liverpool aren't doing that great at the moment:party:.

Regards the media on Ole out or any manager really,they change their minds to suit all the time,that really pees me off.The thing that gets me is say at the start of the season,BBC,Sky,football reporters etc all said "one more game to save Ole from the sack"or different comments similar to that.Then later after the good run and being top of the league the same people would say"Just to think a few months back they wanted him out"It was those same people that said he should go no one else.They make up stories to suit and need headlines.

• Like 1

It's not just Martial who's out of form for United, Rashford has been poor in probably 80% of games this year and Greenwood has been much quieter than last season. It's obvious to say but you aren't going to win or even seriously challenge for a title if your strikers aren't playing well. Fernandes has been average in the last few weeks also. They've got a tough set of fixtures coming up so it'll be interesting to see how they react, as poor as they were last night they only really lost because De Gea made two errors. 

Sheffield United deserved that bit of luck though. Whenever I've seen them this season they haven't played that badly. You'd expect a side that far adrift to be getting hammered every week but that's not the case, most of those defeats have been by 1 goal. They're basically paying the price for signing a keeper who's not good enough and spending £40m on two strikers who are Championship standard. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pinny said:

Martial definitely needs to go. I find him lazy and totally uninterested if things are not going his way, which is far too often. 

A world class centre back is needed , a right winger and a marksman striker. Someone you can rely on for 20 plus goals a season leading the line. 

You’ve got two of those strikers already, Cavani and Greenwood.

And to be fair, although he’s not a poacher, Rashford would score 20 goals a season if he were played at centre-forward rather than on the wing (just like Greenwood at present).

Edited by DC2
  • Like 1