British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tuelaa

Old Speedway Star Magazines from the 90s

Hi wondering if someone can help. I am after some old speedway star magazines from thr 80/90s containing some pictures and write ups about my father Paul Smith who raced in the 500cc solo grasstrack. There is also one where he made the double spread of the middle page.

Know its a long shot but did not know if people had collected some that they are willing to sell.

Many thanks

On 9/3/2020 at 11:40 AM, tuelaa said:

Hi wondering if someone can help. I am after some old speedway star magazines from thr 80/90s containing some pictures and write ups about my father Paul Smith who raced in the 500cc solo grasstrack. There is also one where he made the double spread of the middle page.

Know its a long shot but did not know if people had collected some that they are willing to sell.

Many thanks

Contact Lindsay Gray, he would beable to sort what you are after

On 9/3/2020 at 11:40 AM, tuelaa said:

Many thanks

Do you have any dates which the articles appeared?

That is, yes, to all three of those.

Hugh Hefner was in the right place at the right time. On top of that, he was willing to pay, and pay very highly, for absolute top-notch contributions.

I don’t mean just the photography, though it was technically of extremely high caliber (if a bit bland for my tastes). When I worked at a design shop in Tampa in the early 90s, one of my clients was a photographer for Playboy, and they paid him very well indeed.

More to the point, the writers for Playboy are pretty much a who’s who of the best Western writers and authors of the latter half of the 20th century. Kurt Vonnegut, Norman Mailer, Margret Atwood, Ray Bradbury, Joseph Heller, John Steinbeck, Jack Kerouac, Arthur C Clarke…all of them wrote for Playboy. Take out the photos of naked women and it would be remembered today as one of the best literary magazines that ever existed.