British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Has anyone been anywhere yet

Be good to see a few non- league posters on the General Discussions Football thread. Can remember watching east London Walthamstow, Leytonstone, Ilford, Barking, Clapton, at Dulwich Hamlet/Casuals in SE22. The Amlet shared with Corinthian Casuals, both played in pink, crowds of around 100-200. In the 60s the Isthmian League had teams such as Enfield,Hendon,Sutton,Wycombe, Kingstonian, Bromley, Maidstone, Wealdstone, St.Albans, Oxford City, Toot and Mitch, Woking, Hitchin.

The Amlet were getting biggest crowds in National League South before lockdown hit, around 2000 average. New stadium approved.

My dad played for Casuals at The Oval in early 50s, just before their defeat to Bishop Auckland at Wembley in 1956, crowd of 100000. The only cockney lad in a team of Oxbridge students, and still amateur.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Be good to see a few non- league posters on the General Discussions Football thread. Can remember watching Walthamstow, Leytonstone, Ilford, Barking, Clapton, at Dulwich Hamlet/Casuals in SE22. The Amlet shared with Corinthian Casuals, both played in pink, crowds of around 100-200. In the 60s the Isthmian League had teams such as Enfield,Hendon,Sutton,Wycombe, Kingstonian, Bromley, Maidstone, Wealdstone, St.Albans, Oxford City, Toot and Mitch.

The Amlet were getting biggest crowds in National League South before lockdown hit.

My dad played for Casuals at The Oval in early 50s just before their defeat to Bishop Auckland at Wembley in 1956, crowd of 100000. The only cockney lad in a team of Oxbridge students, and still amateur.

Ah the old White House Ground on the Abingdon Road! Remember it well.

Edited by steve roberts

Just now, steve roberts said:

New ground for City now, in Marston by bypass. Drove past last week.

2 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

New ground for City now, in Marston by bypass. Drove past last week.

The Headley 'Hawks' cycle speedway team used to compete just across the road from there!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

The Headley 'Hawks' cycle speedway team used to compete just across the road from there!

And there was Horspath. Hoping to see Dulwich at Oxford, haven't seen that game for 53 years!

2 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

And there was Horspath. Hoping to see Dulwich at Oxford, haven't seen that game for 53 years!

Used to go and watch Horspath "Hammers" run by Geoff (can't remember his surname) who was a well known face on the terraces at Cowley and elsewhere.

41 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I saw Tooting there in the early 1980's. Cray Wanderers v Bishops Stortford today, my 15th ground this season.

• Like 1

Can remember Tooting knocking Swindon out of FA Cup in 70s. My cousin lived in a flat at Figges Marsh overlooking Sandy Lane. Where do they play now? Always big rivals of The Amlet.

20 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Where do they play now? 

Moved from Tooting to Mitcham, ;) about 15 years ago. Now playing at Imperial fields next to the National Trust Nature Reserve (Watermeads) in London Road. Share with Tooting Bec FC of the Combined Counties League. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Can remember Tooting knocking Swindon out of FA Cup in 70s. My cousin lived in a flat at Figges Marsh overlooking Sandy Lane. Where do they play now? Always big rivals of The Amlet.

I went to that. I also saw them play Palace in the FA cup in 1974. Sandy Lane was packed to the rafters!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I went to that. I also saw them play Palace in the FA cup in 1974. Sandy Lane was packed to the rafters!

Was there about 8000 there? Repeated highlights on tv. I think Amlet shared Tooting's ground last season when they were thrown out of Champion Hill temporarily.

Edited by auntie doris

17 hours ago, Mr Ore said:

Moved from Tooting to Mitcham, ;) about 15 years ago. Now playing at Imperial fields next to the National Trust Nature Reserve (Watermeads) in London Road. Share with Tooting Bec FC of the Combined Counties League. 

Hate to be pedantic, but that is considered the bottom of Bishopsford Road; it changes to London Road the other side of Wandle Road. My mate Jeff lives opposite. Imperial Fields (or whatever it was before) used to be a training ground for Chelsea.

• Like 1

Carnforth Rangers v Furness Rovers last Saturday (10/10, West Lancashire League, Division Two - level 13!). Most stringent anti-COVID measures I've encountered since football resumed. Included a temperature check at the gate.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I actually played there! Well, not football, but darts. The club used to be the home venue for the Oxfordshire County team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Carnforth Rangers v Furness Rovers last Saturday (10/10, West Lancashire League, Division Two - level 13!). Most stringent anti-COVID measures I've encountered since football resumed. Included a temperature check at the gate.

Probably because they thought you had to have a fever or something just because you showed up to watch them! :D