British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Has anyone been anywhere yet

On 10/21/2020 at 8:52 PM, MassMarauder said:

Yep - the very same.  Nice tidy riding.  Won some heats, lost some heats. But riding for for fun rather than going all out.   

I was there for his first come back... at Long Eaton :D

I assume he's back living in the US then, I always thought he was running a business in Tewksbury

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Oxford had two cycle speeday clubs. The Horspath "Hammers" and Headley "Hawks" but I believe that the latter closed some years ago now.

I recall Horspath Hammers, a good team back then IIRC. I see Google maps showing a nice track today.            
I did most of my racing around Manchester, but also Yorkshire, Edinburgh festival a couple times, Leicester for an individual, Hungerford couple of times, Raynes Park, London for the ‘64 junior National finals, team lost by 2 in the final, I won the individual that followed. Only time I raced London.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

I recall Horspath Hammers, a good team back then IIRC. I see Google maps showing a nice track today.            
I did most of my racing around Manchester, but also Yorkshire, Edinburgh festival a couple times, Leicester for an individual, Hungerford couple of times, Raynes Park, London for the ‘64 junior National finals, team lost by 2 in the final, I won the individual that followed. Only time I raced London.

I recall that Wednesfield has/had a particularly strong history...known as the "Aces"?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Hungerford? Rosco and Mad Wellie rode for Swindon, don't know if they still exist?

• Like 1

Just now, auntie doris said:

Hungerford? Rosco and Mad Wellie rode for Swindon, don't know if they still exist?

One time Oxford junior,  Keith Snelling, used to ride for Horspath "Hammers".

• Like 2

Yes they did have a strong team, as did Southampton with the Mills brothers, Wembley did at that time,but don’t hear anything of them now.

Edited by OveFundinFan

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

We had a street team, Carshalton Crusaders, in Swindon. Named after Canterbury.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

I saw a name mentioned a few days ago around that time. Turned out for Beckenham and then Tooting Tigers. Pete Jarman. Guess it is the same Pete Jarman who later turned to speedway

• Like 1

1 minute ago, auntie doris said:

A street team? Would you like to expand.

2 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

I would have thought they were named after Carshalt:Don 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OveFundinFan said:

A street team? Would you like to expand.

Local urchins on push bikes on a London overspill council estate in Swindon:D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I would have thought they were named after Carshalt:Don 

Named after the place in Surrey, where my wife's family are from.

16 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Local urchins on push bikes on a London overspill council estate in Swindon:D

Lovely, just as I imagined.  That’s how me and my mates were. We raced around an oblong with semicircle ends, perfect tarmac cycle speedway track. Then September 1963 the family went with Bob Duckworth, he was presenting trophies at Manchester Gran Prix. First proper cycle speedway meet I had seen and loved it. Manchester had a winter league and we joined for the 63-64 league - Partington Flyers (Partington is the village the Collins and Morton families were from, + others that did speedway, Trownson.). Flyers we were not. lol. But some good came of it, a few of us were signed up with Belle Vue Gladiators, initially riding on BV car park on the Sunday’s for the summer league proper.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Oxford junior Matt Davis I think rode for Horspath. Talked a few times with him at Cardiff, canny lad. Sandy Feltham's son in law. 

Really enjoyed this chat about cycle speedway, brought back some great memories, all comments sensible and adding to the discussion, no arghie barrgie, no nitpickers , no one trying to score points over others.......just sensible forum talk..

• Like 3