British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Has anyone been anywhere yet

Wirksworth Ivanhoe (Central Midlands League football) last Saturday (17/10).

Leicester Nirvana (United Counties League football) tomorrow evening (20/10).

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 2:14 PM, marko said:

If it wasn’t for this COVID stuff hanging around, I would have liked to have visited the IOW this year for a holiday (not been there for over 30 years) I seem to recall it’s nice place with so much character and it has probably one of the best run speedway clubs too.

Recently got back from a week away in the IOW..:t:

Walked around the island ten years ago, so just did the best bits this time. 

A lovely island, however traffic around Newport a bit mad.. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cityrebel said:

You certainly have a great knowledge of non league football. I started out at Wimbledon and Tooting in the early 1970's, progressing to Arsenal home and away. I've always ticked a few non league grounds off every year, but i have really ramped it up this season.

One of my interests but haven't been to as many games as I usually would this season, although I still have a season ticket for my local team. It costs around £80 to watch my main league team at home at level 3 to just get there and in, and around £20 all in including post match ales for my Isthmian team. My other half will go with me too, as it is far cheaper and can be as entertaining, often more so . Crowds are definitely up all round so more are turning to this level. Great to see how much you are watching on here.   

10 hours ago, iris123 said:

Bit strange they kept or even reverted to the original name, seeing as they haven't played in CW for 30 years and I would guess there is zero prospect of them going back

I never did their old ground although worked fairly close so had seen it many times. I did a memorial game at the current ground last week and since my last visit, last season, they have fully fenced it in as dog walkers could get in for free from Wimbledon Rugby ground just through the woods, or foul the pitch when nobody was there. Also floodlit, with hard standing on 3sides and 2 seated stands, although one is especially small with a few loose seats. No idea if they have the freehold but are developing  to remain there

Given the current location and Raynes Park already having a team at the same level I doubt a name change to reflect their current area would generate any extra support so keeping the original name going isn't so bad . They currently share with Westside FC in the same league who started as a church team from Wandsworth so they are even further from their roots, Their own ground though is in this area, the other side of the rugby club  but also couldn't be developed to Combined Counties League requirements.. 

12 hours ago, YerRopes said:

Recently got back from a week away in the IOW..:t:

Walked around the island ten years ago, so just did the best bits this time. 

A lovely island, however traffic around Newport a bit mad.. 

One of my fav places in UK, unhurried pace. Last time we stayed there went to speedway. Some of our fav walks are Sandown to Shanklin coastal path, the Sandown to monument stroll, Ryde to Puckpool. Will be doing West Wight walks next visit.

42 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

One of my fav places in UK, unhurried pace. Last time we stayed there went to speedway. Some of our fav walks are Sandown to Shanklin coastal path, the Sandown to monument stroll, Ryde to Puckpool. Will be doing West Wight walks next visit.

I remember talking to a resident a couple of years ago and mentioned that sometime in the past a tunnel had been discussed connecting the Island..."No way we would want that" was his reply. I would agree. The Island would become over-congested just like what has happened on Skye since the bridge was opened. At least ferries keep the numbers at a reasonable level and control the number of vehicles.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Most of the island is great to walk, with the possible exception of Yarmouth to Cowes, which is predominately tarmac with a distinct lack of benches. :nono:

Also went to speedway there, it was 2008 against Bham inc Jason Lyons. 

14 hours ago, Mr Ore said:

Given the current location and Raynes Park already having a team at the same level I doubt a name change to reflect their current area would generate any extra support so keeping the original name going isn't so bad . They currently share with Westside FC in the same league who started as a church team from Wandsworth so they are even further from their roots, Their own ground though is in this area, the other side of the rugby club  but also couldn't be developed to Combined Counties League requirements.. 

For those who don't follow non-league footy, I'm sure they have no idea just how many teams have been displaced in recent decades. The sad thing is that it is just like speedway, with clubs leaving their homes of many years. At least they often have a chance to groundshare, or - as a lot have done - end up in a sports "facility", rather than an actual ground/stadium. The problem with the latter is that it can restrict growth and upward advancement.

• Like 1

I went to the Speedway in NY the other weekend to watch the Outlaw US National Speedway Championships. Saw Broc Nicol, Billy Janniro and  Ronnie Corry.  Some good races between Nicol and Janniro.  Good size crowds.  No social distancing - and I think I was the only person wearing a mask in teh entire place..  Sat at the top of the stands at least 20 feet from people.... who were partying like it was 1999.  Listen to a podcast on the weekender here https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/eastcoastdirt/episodes/2020-10-15T15_19_45-07_00

14 hours ago, MassMarauder said:

I went to the Speedway in NY the other weekend to watch the Outlaw US National Speedway Championships. Saw Broc Nicol, Billy Janniro and  Ronnie Corry.  Some good races between Nicol and Janniro.  Good size crowds.  No social distancing - and I think I was the only person wearing a mask in teh entire place..  Sat at the top of the stands at least 20 feet from people.... who were partying like it was 1999.  Listen to a podcast on the weekender here https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/eastcoastdirt/episodes/2020-10-15T15_19_45-07_00

The Ronnie Correy? Is he riding again? What's he up to these days? Did he do well?

11 hours ago, iainb said:

The Ronnie Correy? Is he riding again? What's he up to these days? Did he do well?

Yep - the very same.  Nice tidy riding.  Won some heats, lost some heats. But riding for for fun rather than going all out.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Under 8 and under 10 Suffolk Cycle Speedway Individual Championship at Great Blakenham today, under 13 and under 16 tomorrow morning at same venue.  

Great to see the kids enjoying what will probably be their only competitive racing this year.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tom Thumb said:

Under 8 and under 10 Suffolk Cycle Speedway Individual Championship at Great Blakenham today, under 13 and under 16 tomorrow morning at same venue.  

Great to see the kids enjoying what will probably be their only competitive racing this year.

How did a small village like Great Blakenham manage to get a facility like a cycle speedway track, especially with the Ipswich track being only couple miles away.  Well done them. Hope it’s a great day for the riders and spectators.

I spent some time this summer finding cycle speedway tracks around the country on google maps. Doesn’t seem as many as in the mid 1960’s when I was racing for Belle Vue Gladiators then Wilmslow Hammers. Manchester then had a dozen or more top teams, sad the numbers are a lot less now.  During the summer we looked after my sons place while he was away - Sheffield. They have a nice track too.

YouTube is a good place to see cycle speedway meetings from years gone by, sadly they don’t go as far back as the 60’s.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

How did a small village like Great Blakenham manage to get a facility like a cycle speedway track, especially with the Ipswich track being only couple miles away.  Well done them. Hope it’s a great day for the riders and spectators.

I spent some time this summer finding cycle speedway tracks around the country on google maps. Doesn’t seem as many as in the mid 1960’s when I was racing for Belle Vue Gladiators then Wilmslow Hammers. Manchester then had a dozen or more top teams, sad the numbers are a lot less now.  During the summer we looked after my sons place while he was away - Sheffield. They have a nice track too.

YouTube is a good place to see cycle speedway meetings from years gone by, sadly they don’t go as far back as the 60’s.

Oxford had two cycle speeday clubs. The Horspath "Hammers" and Headley "Hawks" but I believe that the latter closed some years ago now.

• Like 1