British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Has anyone been anywhere yet

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Really enjoyed this chat about cycle speedway, brought back some great memories, all comments sensible and adding to the discussion, no arghie barrgie, no nitpickers , no one trying to score points over others.......just sensible forum talk..

Some good rules in CS which could be adopted in Speedway.

When so many points behind (think it's six or maybe eight?), you can choose gate positions and keep doing so whilst behind by whatever is the margin they use.

More credible than a tac sub rule to try and keep the score close..

Also, moving before the tapes go up is an exclusion with no replacement. It certainly focuses the mind and sorts out the starts..

My lad rode for Stockport as a young kid till his football life took over, and he did quite well individually, with the team being very successful in the Northern League and also did well nationally against "bigger" teams..

A fantastic sport to get young kids into, promoting team spirit, competitiveness and fitness, and ran by real enthusiasts..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, auntie doris said:

We had a street team, Carshalton Crusaders, in Swindon. Named after Canterbury.

We had Cowley "Crusaders"!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Oxford junior Matt Davis I think rode for Horspath. Talked a few times with him at Cardiff, canny lad. Sandy Feltham's son in law. 

I knew Matt...gave him my Oxford "Cheetahs" Skol sponsored jacket!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Used to enjoy watching CS on a Sunday afternoon in the 1980s.  Had Hawbush, Thurrock, Basildon and Castlepoint locally.  Sadly all now gone.

19 hours ago, Tom Thumb said:

Under 8 and under 10 Suffolk Cycle Speedway Individual Championship at Great Blakenham today, under 13 and under 16 tomorrow morning at same venue.  

Great to see the kids enjoying what will probably be their only competitive racing this year.

Enjoy a bit of cycle speedway. Been to watch a few clubs in northern England: Astley & Tyldesley, Heckmondwike (defunct, sadly), Sheffield and Stockport. Great sport to photograph! There is a handful of other clubs fairly close by, in Bury, Cramlington and Hessle (near Hull). Edinburgh has a club, too.

Up-to-date information via https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclespeedway

Growing up in a village on the moors above Halifax, I and a few mates used to 'play' at cycle speedway on a track carved out of a field. One of the older lads used to ride - properly! - for Halifax (also now defunct). He had all the pukka gear, including a very nice bike. Can't remember anybody beating him on our little track!

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, steve roberts said:

One time Oxford junior,  Keith Snelling, used to ride for Horspath "Hammers".

We,Ecurie Alba from Edinburgh won the N.A.C.S.A. team championship at Hungerford in 1968.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Topcat said:

We,Ecurie Alba from Edinburgh won the N.A.C.S.A. team championship at Hungerford in 1968.

Can you remember who was in the team. I recall Tam Daly, was one around that time Dick Barrie?

26 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Can you remember who was in the team. I recall Tam Daly, was one around that time Dick Barrie?

Was Tam Bagley not a cycle speedway guy before he had ago a speedway?

Dougie Noble,Tam Low,Ronnie Henderson ,Kenny Clark,Abs Dickson,Donny McKenzie,Ron Taylor and myself Jimmy Culbert we beat Hackney Cheetahs  49-43.

Edited by Topcat
Name missing.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Tam Daly rode for Sightill Hammers, Dick "Babbles" Barrie rode for Scottish Rangers. Both Edinburgh based teams.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Topcat said:

Tam Daly rode for Sightill Hammers, Dick "Babbles" Barrie rode for Scottish Rangers. Both Edinburgh based teams.

Dick “Babbles” Barrie.:D:D:D

• Haha 1

The only cycle speedway I ever saw was at a track on Garrett Lane near Wimbledon Stadium. My father and I had a very enjoyable afternoon watching the racing but I think the track is sadly long gone. I had a look at the track in Basildon soon after I moved there but the riders who were practicing were very unhappy that I was watching them and refused point blank to tell me when race meetings were held so I never went back there.

17 hours ago, Topcat said:

Jackie Pinkerton????  He was another I knew/raced against.

2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

The only cycle speedway I ever saw was at a track on Garrett Lane near Wimbledon Stadium. My father and I had a very enjoyable afternoon watching the racing but I think the track is sadly long gone. I had a look at the track in Basildon soon after I moved there but the riders who were practicing were very unhappy that I was watching them and refused point blank to tell me when race meetings were held so I never went back there.

As far as I know the track is still there. Maybe in a state of dis repair though. Although I think it was tidied up not so long ago

Remember watching South London (the club that were based at Garrett Lane) race at Hawbush in the 80s.  Meeting sticks in the mind as lots of the heats were carnage!  Shame the sport appears to have died in the London/Essex area.  When l last looked the only club still going was East London.  Did anyone ever watch CS at Thurrock?  Great little mini stadium.