British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Has anyone been anywhere yet

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...with Bob Dugard at the helm hardly surprising although their initial years in the First Division after years of dominating the Second Division brought them down to earth somewhat. Bob was passionate and very protective of his charges which occasionally spilled over...remember a few fisty fights/skirmishes and, of course, Dave Lanning added to the fun. A good read in the latest "Backtrack" where local derbies between Eastbourne and Canterbury was covered.

Remember doing a southern camping tour in 1971 (from Cumbria) and stopped in Hailsham for pub Sunday lunch, lovely grub, then on to Arlington for speedway, where we pitched tent right next to car park. Along with many other holiday makers...I can still vividly hear Dave Lanning winding up the visiting Peterborough fans - asking 'where have all the Panthers fans gone'?..adding' last year you brought 40 coach loads of fans to this fixture...today just a couple, why'?..I recall it was really good entertainment for us happy campers.

• Like 1

They took huge exception at Arlington to the Witches ticker tape celebrations in 98

Pick it up or you get locked in and we call the police was the gist of it :rofl:

Remember the comets getting well beat in 1975 first leg knockout cup final with some dodgy ref decisions by am sure ex rider reg trott with charlie dugard sat next to him in the box. 

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

My first ever visit to Arlington against Rayleigh way back in 1972, ended in a massive punch up. Last seasons shenanigans against Glasgow, just kept up those traditions!

I was there (39-39) but I don't recall a punch up I have to say? If I remember Alan Emmett scored a 12 point maximum and there was some animosity over him beating Gordon Kennett during the British under-21 Championship. The "Eagles" management 'claimed' that he was using an over-sized engine or something or other?

22 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Remember the comets getting well beat in 1975 first leg knockout cup final with some dodgy ref decisions by am sure ex rider reg trott with charlie dugard sat next to him in the box. 

Funny but ex-Eagle Reg Trott made some atrocious decisions as a referee during Eastbourne's first match of the 1979 season and Bob Dugard threatened that he would never be allowed to officiate at another meeting at Arlington!

1 hour ago, singy13 said:

Remember doing a southern camping tour in 1971 (from Cumbria) and stopped in Hailsham for pub Sunday lunch, lovely grub, then on to Arlington for speedway, where we pitched tent right next to car park. Along with many other holiday makers...I can still vividly hear Dave Lanning winding up the visiting Peterborough fans - asking 'where have all the Panthers fans gone'?..adding' last year you brought 40 coach loads of fans to this fixture...today just a couple, why'?..I recall it was really good entertainment for us happy campers.

Dave Lanning was a great wind up artist. He used to have running verbal battles with the great Johnnie Hoskins of Canterbury and we saw some of Dave's antics when he was at Oxford in 1972. Great entertainment and anything to stir up the fans!

54 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I was there (39-39) but I don't recall a punch up I have to say? If I remember Alan Emmett scored a 12 point maximum and there was some animosity over him beating Gordon Kennett during the British under-21 Championship. The "Eagles" management 'claimed' that he was using an over-sized engine or something or other?

I thought Eastbourne won the meeting i went to. It was a lifetime ago though.

2 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I thought Eastbourne won the meeting i went to. It was a lifetime ago though.

I think that the punch up may have been in 1971? Rayleigh were, I think, the only team to win at Arlington during Eastbourne's Championship winning year? As you say a long time ago now. I remember well the 1972 drawn match as it took an age to locate the stadium as we drove around the Sussex countryside and arrived after about four heats had taken place!

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 4:25 PM, geoff100 said:

You are half correct Geoff....we did meet Eagles in the K.O.Cup final in October 1975.......but Comets won the 1st leg on the Friday night at DP by 47-31......then down to Eastbourne for the second leg two days later, Sunday afternoon...and got well beaten by 52-25......the Comets riders just didn't like the small tricky Eastbourne circuit....I attended both these matches..and despite the defeat it was a good weekend out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Attendance 95 I see.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/552036

- has broken 100k signatures.

I hate this fixation with Football all the time, I see TalkSport are running somekind of #LetFansIn campaign but they just keep banging on about Football... I'll sign the petition anyway for what it's worth

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, iainb said:

I hate this fixation with Football all the time, I see TalkSport are running somekind of #LetFansIn campaign but they just keep banging on about Football... I'll sign the petition anyway for what it's worth

I second that!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

What did Bill Shankly say, football is more in important than life or death. It certainly seems that way at premier league level. Grassroots football is a totally different sport. Very relaxed, without the win at all costs attitude of the professional game. It's been great for me, in these uncertain times.

• Like 1