British Speedway Forum
crescent girl

U-21 FINAL: BERWICK, Wednesday, October 21st

As announced on BSPA (OK, BSPL) website at the same time, Berwick will stage the U-21 Final for the third year in succession.

https://www.berwickspeedway.com/news/were-going-racing/

As in the case of the British Final, the event goes to a large, spectating all-the-way around, facility in a part of the country away from any current major Covid hotspots.

The Berwick club has already staged two closed-door practice sessions -- the second of which hosted an invited audience of sponsors, etc -- and these dry runs have assisted in getting all necessary local council approval for the public staging of this major event.

• Like 1

Berwick is in Northumberland.

Northumberland is in 'enhanced lockdown'

The new rules specifically advise against attending sports events as a spectator.

It's still 4 weeks away and there must be a reasonable prospects of the more rural parts of Nothumberland being removed from lockdown earlier than the urban parts, but it looks very touch and go.

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Berwick is in Northumberland.

Northumberland is in 'enhanced lockdown'

The new rules specifically advise against attending sports events as a spectator.

It's still 4 weeks away and there must be a reasonable prospects of the more rural parts of Nothumberland being removed from lockdown earlier than the urban parts, but it looks very touch and go.

only advice?

The measures have been brought in because covid-19 cases in some areas of the north east are now very high, especially in Sunderland and Newcastle.  Although the rates in Northumberland are very much lower, they are rising fast so the decision has been taken to include our county in the measures in the hope that we can reverse that trend quickly.

I will be reviewing figures on a ward level and making the case for wards or areas to be removed from the restricted area as soon as possible. I do not want to see these restrictions in place any longer than is necessary and I will be pushing for them to be lifted as soon as case numbers start to decline once more. 

Courtesy of our MP who  today included Berwick as being in Northumberland

This meeting may very well still take place, but giving todays announcement getting any people there to watch may be a bit of a challenge.

2 hours ago, screm said:

This meeting may very well still take place, but giving todays announcement getting any people there to watch may be a bit of a challenge.

Hopefully things will improve and the meeting will go ahead with a crowd.Is there any point in running the meeting  without a crowd and possibly lose money.!!!

8 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Hopefully things will improve and the meeting will go ahead with a crowd.Is there any point in running the meeting  without a crowd and possibly lose money.!!!

As its a BSPA event wouldn't they have to bare the cost of any losses.

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Don't panic...there's always Scunny...

Cases are rising in north Lincolnshire, so Scunny would not be a done deal. Hull City's test event on Saturday has been cancelled.

4 hours ago, screm said:

As its a BSPA event wouldn't they have to bare the cost of any losses.

The BSPA would though.

4 hours ago, HGould said:

Don't panic...there's always Scunny...

or any other club that wants to put on racing & that is covid compliant. :t: ;)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/18/2020 at 9:13 AM, Fromafar said:

The BSPA would though.

I take it this U 21 meeting going ahead  I have friends looking to book to stay overnight?

Since initial message been no updates on it and given the NE area has been under more of curfew just wondered.

38 minutes ago, Catch Me If You Can said:

I take it this U 21 meeting going ahead  I have friends looking to book to stay overnight?

Since initial message been no updates on it and given the NE area has been under more of curfew just wondered.

Haven’t heard anything .Best contract Promotion IMO

43 minutes ago, Catch Me If You Can said:

It's still listed as a fixture on the British Speedway website.

Best hope is that those lobbying (and they have a strong case) for Berwick's removal from the 'enhanced' lockdown area are successful.

Otherwise it is very unlikely to go ahead.