British Speedway Forum
crescent girl

U-21 FINAL: BERWICK, Wednesday, October 21st

3 minutes ago, Pinny said:

The future of UK speedway is very bleak. Sad but true. 

The thing is there are three groups of people involved in speedway: the Promoters/owners, the riders and the paying fans.
Each group has it's own ideas as to what is needed to get the sport back to it's glory days.
Problem is there has never been a facility for representatives of these three groups to sit sit down and discuss ideas and until there is the standard of the sport will continue to be diluted till it dies.

5 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Just out of interest does anyone know why Leon Flint was wearing, R, B, W & Y body colours while everyone else wore standard meeting issue?

Surely not psychological gamesmanship? Lol

five different sponsors came forward for him. Same with Kyle Bickley and, from memory, Drew Kemp.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Should not have ridden.

neither should Kenny Carter have ridden with his gammy leg , but he did ! 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Much better that the winner was decided over the 20 heats, instead of the Mickey Mouse add ons

I ve seen a few people say this, but I couldn't disagree more.

The riders in heat 16 knew they had made semis and therefore could settle for positions. Had the 4 riders known that race would decide the title they would have almost certainly approached the race differently...

Hope Dan Gilkes is feeling better today, and Drew Kemp is ok after his heavy off.

Would loved to have seen another angle of the Rowe pass on Lawlor to see how tight that really was. 

Having had a year on big wide slick tracks in Poland, a grippy narrow Berwick must of felt a bit strange but felt he continued to demonstrate his continued development.

Also worth noting that the vast majority of riders involved last night have multiple years left at this level... so if we keep them all fit and improving over the coming seasons I still feel there is plenty to be excited about. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jenga said:

neither should Kenny Carter have ridden with his gammy leg , but he did ! 

Bored this morning.:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, teaboy279 said:

I ve seen a few people say this, but I couldn't disagree more.

The riders in heat 16 knew they had made semis and therefore could settle for positions. Had the 4 riders known that race would decide the title they would have almost certainly approached the race differently...

Hope Dan Gilkes is feeling better today, and Drew Kemp is ok after his heavy off.

Would loved to have seen another angle of the Rowe pass on Lawlor to see how tight that really was. 

Having had a year on big wide slick tracks in Poland, a grippy narrow Berwick must of felt a bit strange but felt he continued to demonstrate his continued development.

Also worth noting that the vast majority of riders involved last night have multiple years left at this level... so if we keep them all fit and improving over the coming seasons I still feel there is plenty to be excited about. 

Berwick is not that narrow though.! Track changes made it wider than it was and it was 
F.I.M approved before it was altered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

It would be interesting to know if the riders were pre-warned of the possible curfew kicking in bearing in mind the meeting started 45 minutes later than planned?

Would the riders have approached it differently though knowing the top scorers would have choice of gate positions?

6 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Bored this morning.:rolleyes:

if ur bored ,do something .

• Haha 1

Last night showed why there needs to be a 2 minute clock.No messing about in Poland you have to be ready to race and obey the start marshal,goes like clockwork.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

This is the key point for me, there is an age gap between Bewley and the best of the rest, and there are few that are 16. If all the de bet ones were 20/21 and at their current level it’d be different but they have several years left as junior riders.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

five different sponsors came forward for him. Same with Kyle Bickley and, from memory, Drew Kemp.

They got their moneys worth out of kyle !

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

This is the key point for me, there is an age gap between Bewley and the best of the rest, and there are few that are 16. If all the de bet ones were 20/21 and at their current level it’d be different but they have several years left as junior riders.

I agree with what you are say but it’s the same in Poland,Denmark ,Sweden.We will just have to wait and see who develops to a decent level.

3 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

Can't understand the obsession that some fans have that young Brits should try and get a contract abroad. They then complain when riders like Woffinden  stop racing in the UK or complain when our fixtures are messed about cos riders are racing abroad. We should be pleased that Harris, Lawson, the Worralls, King, Barker and the rest prioritise the UK to earn a steady living rather than persue a contract in the grand prix circus. 

I've been saying the same thing but my wife doesn't go to speedway so it fell on deaf ears. Seriously though, top Brits racing abroad does nothing for British speedway except in international meetings that get staged abroad.

The lack of graphics, etc. on camera isn't a massive issue to me as that's probably quite time consuming to sort out in advance. 
The poor camera work and Direction are the bigger issues to me. 
If they want to know how to do it just watch the Polish matches from last season (not seen this season) with some of the best direction/camera work I've seen at Speedway.

Even the Direction on the GP's isn't always that great with too many fancy pictures from the top of the flag pole cameras, etc.

Somebody asked what the changes were to the Berwick track, I don't think it got answered??  I couldn't make a judgement on the bends but the home straight at least still seemed too narrow for proper racing.

12 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

The lack of graphics, etc. on camera isn't a massive issue to me as that's probably quite time consuming to sort out in advance. 
The poor camera work and Direction are the bigger issues to me. 
If they want to know how to do it just watch the Polish matches from last season (not seen this season) with some of the best direction/camera work I've seen at Speedway.

Even the Direction on the GP's isn't always that great with too many fancy pictures from the top of the flag pole cameras, etc.

Somebody asked what the changes were to the Berwick track, I don't think it got answered??  I couldn't make a judgement on the bends but the home straight at least still seemed too narrow for proper racing.

Berwick is not narrow ,don’t know what you are watching.It’s fast and the racing line is quite far out.They widen the straits by a metre and opened up the entrance to the bends before the start of this season.